Nationals Western Pleasure driving class WIN????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boinky said:
I'm not big on the whole 'western" theme stuff either HOWEVER I did make a "western" cart for nationals. It as natural wood with burned in barbed wire pin stripes, the boot cover had a fabric that looked like tooled light oil saddle leather, and it had concho's and tassles on the shafts. I got a lot of nice comments on it.
Cool! Got a picture?

Leia

I'd just be happy if they judged it ACCORDING TO THE RULES. I came out of one class and someone asked me if they changed the name to Cowboy Roadster. I laughed and agreed- tight checks, high heads, speedy gaits, no flat leg action in THAT class!
I'm not holding Destiny out for Forum critiquing. That's been done time and again in the show ring by the judges who were paid for their qualified opinions. But, I think Destiny did really nicely in the class and that he looked the part as well. These proofs and others are on order.

Destiny%20Driving%20Proof%202008%20Nationals%203%20LARGER.JPG

Destiny%20Driving%20Proof%202008%20Nationals%205%20LARGER.JPG

I did see a picture of the Lutke Western style harness yesterday. I think I will stick to my traditional Lutke that Destiny sports in the pictures... I didn't care for the western one.

I saw that western cart. It sure sticked out but in a good way. I also saw a couple with the western harness, looked good, but I don't think everyone thats in the class is going to go out and buy everything western. Hope to go into the class again next year with my stallion, last year my friend took National Champion and Top Tens in every class she went into.

The Western class sure has changed from last year. I heard from one AMHR judge that these judges want speed, if you are the fastest one in there you will get notice. So basiclly its judged like anyother driving class.

For those of you referring to the dress with the slit in it, I would encourage you to find out what "actually" happened before you throw your two cents in. First, that was one of my drivers. She was appropriately dressed until mid-way through the class when the dress ripped. Secondly, she was a newer driver and handled it beautifully - I never knew there was a problem until she was in the line-up. Thirdly, thanks to those poor-sports out there who commented on her attire as she left the ring and made reference to her "showing a lot of leg". She has informed me that she will not drive again! I applaud your efforts - you should have been worried, she made all three cards and DID NOT GO BACK IN, instead she removed herself from the class!!!! WAY TO GO PEOPLE!
It may or may not have been "your" driver being referred to as the woman I saw ENTERED the ring slit up to "there". I was sitting in the stands watching and a woman entered with soooo much leg showing at first I thought she didn't have any pants or skirt on. I don't think people were so much commenting because they were jealous and though she might beat them but rather her apparel was completely inappropriate. I don't know many women, including myself, that wouldn't be totally sympathetic to someone that found themselves in that position by accident but I know I thought "HOLY COW" when I saw the woman enter dressed that way.

That's why I switched from Country Pleasure to WCP because it was like a race track out there. My horse is NOT a race horse!!!!!! He goes at a pretty good clip but gee if were going to be like all the others then why have the WCP class. Doesn't make sense to me. I did notice though that in my local shows the horses went slower in the WCP, so I guess I'll just be happy w/ that and if I come back to the Nationals I'll just know that they'll be looking for speed and I won't win so that will be that same as CP. This is my boy's first year of being in harness so this is a new experience for the both of us, so hopefully we'll be better at it next year and more confident. TJ

More experience makes all the difference in the world to both horse and driver, TJ. I can tell you that from, well, experience!
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png
In wishing they'd make a new division all I personally wanted was one where the horse did not have to be checked up to kingdom come and moving incredibly fancy to win so I have to admit I'm satisfied with the new class whether it's otherwise identical to CP or not. That's just me though and I know I might be the only one.
default_biggrin.png
Shameless, shameless self-interest.
default_cheers.gif

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
JMS Miniatures said:
The Western class sure has changed from last year. I heard from one AMHR judge that these judges want speed, if you are the fastest one in there you will get notice. So basiclly its judged like anyother driving class.
I think, I hope, that it isn't so much the speed as a clear ability to lengthen they are looking for. The horse must show an ability to actually MOVE OUT with a clear change of gears, and that's what the judges notice. If you can't do two clearly different trots then you aren't really meeting the class criteria, right? Unfortunately many minis have to get up a pretty good head of steam to show an increase in stride length due to that whole short-leg thing.
default_unsure.png
I know I'm now treating the faster trot as a relaxed lengthening into a rhythmic longer stride and when I was the only horse doing that, yes, I won. When the other horses caught on and started lengthening stride too instead of continuing to jog the horses with a slow-looking sweepy stride started doing better against me as Kody's stride looks fast when he lengthens and that didn't appear to be the goal. Patty Cloke agreed that the judges wanted to see a relaxed forward lengthening for the "Extended Trot" and that it was important both to move out and to not rush around the ring. That was the first time I've had the opportunity to compete in the full roster of Western classes (Ammy, Ladies, Open, and Stakes) at a show and I got a first in each class and a Stakes Championship with four to six horses in most of the classes. Something seems to have worked!

Leia

I have to agree that they were looking for forward motion NOT speed as my guy went in several WP driving classes. In at least 2 he wasn't sufficiently warmed up and went thru the gate like he was going to a race. We didn't place well. However, in the 32" and Under class that was run at 3 in the morning he listened and was well behaved and here's what we looked like: (yes the pic. is paid for just not delivered yet)
AwesomeGrandChamp2008.jpg

Sandee, I just realized that it must have been YOU that I had been talking to at Nationals, and that we both are on the forum! (ok, so I'm slow, lol). I had talked to you the night you were waiting around to go drive, I was at the table next to yours and we were both freezing from the overactive air conditioning. Then I saw you the next day and asked how your class went, and you said you had won! How neat to have met yet another forum member, even if I didn't realize it at the tiime, lol! And CONGRATS again on your win!!
default_smile.png

Well that makes sense. Like I said competely different then last years, but alot more better movers too for that class.

Sandee, I just realized that it must have been YOU that I had been talking to at Nationals, and that we both are on the forum! (ok, so I'm slow, lol). I had talked to you the night you were waiting around to go drive, I was at the table next to yours and we were both freezing from the overactive air conditioning. Then I saw you the next day and asked how your class went, and you said you had won! How neat to have met yet another forum member, even if I didn't realize it at the tiime, lol! And CONGRATS again on your win!!
default_smile.png
Thanks and nice to know who I was talking with. I know there was supposed to be a list of forum members at Ozark Mtn. vendor but I didn't see it until the last day when everyone was packing up.

Oh, well, good intentions - maybe next year.

Latest posts

Back