National Drive

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to TRY to go..I live about 80 miles away, so that is pretty close..Won't have anything this year to bring, so it will just be me..But, look out next year..I should have Isaac well trained by then.

Take two, they're small.....
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

You could alternate driving times with the two.
Oh believe me I've done it! Plus you can just pay for one stall if they get along and can share. They both went a couple of years in a row, it was at TND that Leia helped me stick them together as a tandem, what fun!

The pic in my avatar was taken at TND in 2010 when we got booted from the Horse Park due to WEG and it was held at Hoosier Horse Park in Indiana. That was a fantastic location as well.

My husband and I are considering going to this event also probably just for the weekend, its about a 5 hour drive so not too bad. I have just handed over my only driver a large B to my husband so he can start driving with me so I've just started training my 34" who is now 3.5 years old and ready to go. We already have 2 carts and two harness (cart before the horse LOL). Its so hot and humid, I was going out at 6am to lung and start my little guy but now its just too hot even at 6am so my training has come to a screeching halt. I guess we will be forced to play it by ear if we are bringing mini's or not (I don't want to share, I want my own). I want to go either way and check this out! If we didn't bring our mini's to drive I would be very jealous of seeing others there driving around <wink>

I am going this year. So excited.Not attending Nationals,so decided on something new. It is more expensive, but should be a great experience. Going with a friend that has a big horse. It is 10 hrs and we are staying the whole week. Leaving Sunday have to go to work. Infact we were making our list tonight. I hope my mini is up for it.

Just took a look at the website. I had no idea about this and I think it's great. Very reasonable cost as well. I might aim for 2013 and hope Major and I have enough miles/experience under our belt to participate. If I lived closer I would just go without any horses this year to see what there is to see. Those of you that go will have to report back to the rest of us. With pictures!!

For those of you that have gone before, How much driving is there to do each day? I am trying to decide if I should plan on taking 2 minis or just one. They would need separate stalls so a big added expense if I need 2.

Marked driving trails open at 9 a.m. and you can drive until dusk. We usually went for a morning drive, came back, had lunch, and went out again in the afternoon. The park does allow 2 minis per stall - are yours not compatible? Could you make a stall divider?

I wondered about rigging something up so they could go in the same stall but now sure how because you can't attach anything with screws.

Cattle panels, eye bolts, double ended snaps... I will be bringing both my boys, but they share a stall at home, so no need to divide one. The object of the National Drive organizers is to provide us with many things to do, but they state that you can do as much or as little as you want. It seems that the VSE drivers tend to drive together. I have lots of photos from previous ND. We always have a blast!! There are lots of vendors, clinicians, trainers, and just plain folks. As horsenaround said, we usually go out after complimentary donuts, come back and do lunch and some shopping, then back out for another drive. There are lots of marked trails, and several organized drives (trace pace, parade, etc), and several of the CDE obstacles are usually open and busy! There's also a wine and cheese and bluegrass music reception, as well as free clinics. Plus your admission gets you into all the KHP museums, which are really nice. If you do bring a green horse, there's usually lots of people willing to help you put some miles on him. I am bringing my pair and will probably have room for a gator sometimes. I have several "facebook friends" that I see only once a year at the ND. I am really looking forward to this year!

question: My dad really wants to get into driving when he retires (1 year from Jan). Would this be a good thing for him to attend? He doesn't own a driving horse yet but a lot of the clinics seem like they would be great for people wanting to get into driving. From the warm welcome and help I've received on this driving forum I tend to think the "driving community" would mostly be the same. Are people at the National Drive pretty understanding and helpful to those who are interested in driving but don't yet? I'm trying to get a feel for this because my dad picks his vacation time at the beginning of each year so he'd have to call and see if they know the dates for 2013 yet so he can get the time off.

Everyone I have met at the National Drive has been fabulous!! People offer to let you drive their horse, test drive their carriage with your horse, take a ride with them, etc. All the vendors are very knowledgable and will test fit your horse or let you try-it-before-you-buy-it. I have seen mini horses and mini donkeys, ponies, horses, mules, and drafts there.The carriages range from forecarts to homemade carts and wagons to pipe carts to marathon carriages to antique buggies to farm wagons. I have seen singles, pairs, tandems, unicorns, four-ups, and even a six-up. Some people dress as if for a show (makes for wonderful photos), but others are casual and comfortable. There is really very few rules, most of all just be safe. People are all willing to talk about their horses and their equipment, and because it's not a competition, there is no "show nerves". I highly recommend you come, either with or without your horse! As we get closer to the date, some of us will post stall assignments in case you want to look us up.

Just wondering if anyone that has been there before could tell me a few of the vendors? Are there ones just for minis or are they all large horse stores?

For all planning to attend the drive. Deadline for registration is Sept 15. I just noticed so thought that I would point that out to others like me that leave things until the last week!

Just wondering how everyone gets around. I'm hopefully going to be driving the RV down hauling the horse trailer. I think that the campground is quite the distance from the stabling area.

Sandee McKee of Iowa Valley Carriage has tons of mini stuff - harnesses, leggings, bits galore, mini SMV's, even mini sweat scrapers. Also, carriage accessories and proper length whips. We've bought several of her patent mini show harnesses and show in both breed and ADS carriage shows. She also carries synthetic mini harnes. If she doesn't have want you want, she will find it.

I would strongly suggest either bicycles or a golf cart for transporation on the grounds. The campground is a fair distance from the stabling. We pull our horse trailer with a motorhome and stay in the very nice campground. We have acquired a used golf cart to haul to these type of events. Renting a cart is pricey, but you may want to consider doing it.

Well at $59.99+tax/day to rent a cart, I guess I'm buying a bike instead. Wow that would be expensive.

Back