NARKO EMERGENCY!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When one of my minis colicked a couple of years ago, he was not drinking much for a few days after. I did the "pinch test" on his neck (if skin stays up in a ridge, they are quite dehydrated). I gave him sub cutaneous IV fluids for 3 days (he is a 30" mini, and most of a liter would fit into his neck). It took about 4 hours to infuse (much slower than an IV put into a vein, but you don't have to worry as much about volume overloading them, or finding the tiny vein of a dehydrated horse). He would really perk up by the second hour, as his body began to absorb the fluid. It makes them look like they have a giant tumor (which travels downwards with gravity until it is completely absorbed), but helps keep fluid in the gi tract (to prevent dry stool impaction), and keep the kidneys viable. I am a nurse, so get my supplies at work, but have friends whose vets give them the fluid, angiocatheter and tubing to have in hand.

Latest posts

Back