N00b w/prego rescue mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vet was out, waited on vaccines. Said she sure looked pregnant but on these little ones you never know until they wax. I raised an eyebrow gave him the numbers on her milk, hooha color and offered pictures.... Yeh, I think I can get a script for a padded stall now!

He did float her teeth as she had some points that were really bad. No sedation but she was good about it. Thank goodness I know the special scritchy spot that I use to milk her and look at her hooha!! Came in handy! She is out munching grass now.

I have banamine for her now. He said to give it IV but it could go IM. Is this the same stuff you were saying you can give them like the paste? Also, it seems like a lot for such a little thing. Is that normal? (4 mL)

Banamine is 1cc/100# normal use, 2cc/100# for critical pain (upto 2x daily). If I remember right your mare is smaller, so you could probably give her half that amount, see how she does, then if needed give her the rest. And, yes, you can give liquid banamine like a paste dewormer; but be forewarned it tastes really bad, so she won't like it (but its so much safer than injecting it).

Pain relief is usually given if necssary AFTER the mare delivers the placenta - it can delay the passing if used before. Also, I would give a low/minimum for her size, dose to start with, if necessary, and then watch carefully. Pain from foaling or uterine contractions after foaling can mirror normal colic pains, and any true colic problems need immediate vet attention. Banamine can mask the symptoms of true colic, so if the mare shows no relief or returns to rolling etc within 20 - 30 minutes after dosing, then call your vet as it could be true colic causing the pain and she will require veterinary help.

Hope I'm explaining this ok - our vets are happy to let us have pain relief for our girls, but only if we promise to give them a call if it doesnt seem to be working after half an hour, due to the possibility of colic.

Also, as I'm often saying to new brood mare owners, dont forget that just before foaling a mare clears out her system (cow pattie poos), so, providing all is well and she has had a short while to bond with her baby, she needs to be given the first of several small wet/mushy feeds (use her normal feed but wet it with warm water) to provide something that will easily 'flow' through her empty system without causing a blockage. Small wet feeds every couple of hours for the first 24 hours, plus soft leafy hay will help kick start the system. If she is used to eating grass on a regular basis then this is good for her as well, so get her out to graze as soon as possible - even in hand for an hour or so that first day will do nothing but good for her recovery (and her milk supply). Even if the foal is a little 'shaky' legged to start with, having it follow it's Momma out for that hour of grass in hand wont do it any harm.

If he gave you 4cc -- then you have at least 2 doses for after foaling!!! Most mares do very well with just one dose, but it never hurts to have a second on hand! YEAH!

DITTO on all that Anna said about getting her "jump-started" with her system -- mushy meals, hay or grass preferred, if she's used to it. Here I only have dry-lots, so they get mushy grain with alfalfa in small meals!!

Sounds great! Glad he took off those hooks! You'll probably see her appetite increase now -- since there will be no discomfort eating. I've never had a horse get anesthesia for any dental treatment. The equine dentist that many of us use -- Carl Mitz -- just puts the hiney in a corner and whoosh! He's done!

Keep us posted!

You ladies are the best! This vets office when I called told me they only do it at their office, under sedation with monitors! I hate these guys, it all seems about money to them. When the vet got here he was reluctant to float but when I made it clear I would not haul to them, I would find someone else... *woosh* out comes all the stuff to float them!

We have plenty of grass especially for hand grazing and she has been on it. She also has her alfalfa and I can soak her grain. Awe heck, this is me... She drops this baby alive and healthy, I'll make her tea and soft cookies if that is what she wants!

As for the pain meds he just handed me the siringe and said IV if you can IM if you have to. Never even asked if I knew how! (I do, it just scares me that he would do that). No mention of colic or any of that! UGH *snarl*.

She has had a rough day with getting her teeth done. He was less than graceful or gentle. So I am not going to pester her with the camera tonight... Her hooha is still zipped up tight, belly is round, sides are buldgie and no change in her utter, ph or calcium.

If you have an empty syring around, I would put half in another syringe or a small medicine bottle. You don't want your hand to push more than 2cc if you have to give it, and sometimes when they are shaking their heads it's very easy to give too much trying to push enough in. She WILL shake her head once she tastes the awful stuff -- believe me -- that and curl her lips up and look at you like you've poisoned her! But it works like a charm.

One of my vets told me when he was in school, he and his buddies used to use it to "doctor" each other -- he's the one who told me that it tastes absolutely HORRID!!!

I like that plan! Hmmm.... Leftovers for my head? Just kidding...

One of my vets told me when he was in school, he and his buddies used to use it to "doctor" each other -- he's the one who told me that it tastes absolutely HORRID!!!
My former vet (he's retired) told me he used to use Bute for his arthritis and other aches and pains (maybe he still does, I really don't know). I think someone mentioned banamine tastes nasty, but I still have personal experience with that... I got some on my hands and then touched my mouth with my hand inadvertantly.
default_smileypuke.gif

Our vets gave us the paste (Fynadine, same as Banamine) and we had no reaction from those we used it on, but maybe this was also because we stuffed a small handful of their normal feed into their mouths at the same time?

I took bute a few times when I was away at horse shows and had back problems
default_sad.png
not good!

I had a small animal vet that ran all his own tests out of his vet clinic and then told his doc the results... Honestly, if he were a little less ethical I would ask him to be my physician!! Going to him without insurance is a LOT cheaper than going to the regular doc! And honestly IMO vets have to do a better job because the animals can't tell them anything.

Charm is not looking any closer so in to town for the day, farrier tonight and PICs!

OK Aunties... time to get a bit serious here! :D New pics... Significant change in her bag since this morning. Farrier canceled so she is in her stall munching... PICS! Ph was at 8 and calcium was at 300 I think. She is much more agitated and did not want me touching her. Lots of movement in the belly too... foal was much more active while I was out there than I have ever seen. usually it is just a quick kick or two tonight it is movement and lots of it but not as sharp as a kick.

IMG_9987.JPG still no V but her belly seems a lot more flat than the last set of pics

IMG_9988.JPG

IMG_9992.JPG big change since this morning which looked no different that the pics last time

IMG_9985.JPG yesterday

IMG_9993.JPG

IMG_9983.JPG yesterday

Hummmmm she's making progress quite fast isn't she! That foal movement could have been it dropping more into the delivery position. Dont think you will have much longer to wait to see this baby - could be a couple of days, could even be a week but I wouldn't think it will be longer!

We have had several votes for the full moon. My concern was that much of this was since this morning. I am very sick this evening and we have thunderstorms and tornado warnings all night. Have a local auntie on call, charging the camera batteries and clearing out memory cards. Have a Dr appointment tomorrow but they would gladly reschedule for a baby... Free and clear until Tuesday after that!

Hooha is relaxing, bag continues to fill. She has rolled once. But... Freak me out!... This thing (I presume the head) about the size of a brick has protruded twice from her side moving from her flank to her butt... Eep! I SCREAMED the first time. It has done it twice now. BF is trying to set up a web cam. Will get more pics...

Sounds like baby is repositioning -- so don't let if scare you!! Everything sounds just fine -- and momma is rolling baby perfectly!! Won't be long now!!

No changes of any significance today other than her being angry she didn't get to go out. Temps have plummeted here and she has shed a lot of her winter woolies. All horses were in today.

Rereading everything you all have posted. Was told today that my providing her with better and more food made too big a foal and now she is going to die... SO very tired of this individual and can't get rid of them. Anyway... Needed the reminders that everything is going normally. Foal continues to be active (hence her knowing it was too big for my mare to foal successfully). Yesterday looked like the head, today's movements are not as pronounced but more consistent. I have heat lamps should she foal tonight or tomorrow. Have lots of towels too. Oh, I also have a dog bed heater that could be used too.

BF has to work tomorrow, local auntie is out of town and I have a change in medications starting tonight that usually turns me into a Zombi... So, praying for Sunday or later. But, if you don't hear from me tomorrow then I am a Zombi and we are still waiting! I promise more pics as soon as there is any change... Or a foal!

If the foal was too big, you would not be seeing all the 'activty' as it would not be able to move!!

Good luck with your medication, hope you feel better soon.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back