N00b w/prego rescue mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty simple... "Squirrel!!!" Is a common comment in our house as one of us suddenly keeps into an exuberant tangent! I have the pool strips. I hope to be able to get more milk tonight while she is distracted by her grain. I can just see her now! She already thinks I am the craziest human on the planet now I'm going to start asking her to kindly drip in a cup for me as I can't see and have no aim! This is going to be right up there with the look I got for bringing her warm tea on a night when temps dropped dramatically. I guess it is a good thing all my horses come with a sense of humor!

Do have a question... I am giving her free choice alfalfa, a few hours a day on grass and mare and foal feed morning and night. She was malnourished when I got her and she picked up weight but I can still tell the foal is taking a lot from her. You can see the ring in her hoof from when she got here and a ring is developing where the foal should have been around that final growth spurt. She is also 17. I have someone who 1. Thinks I am trying to founder her by putting her out at all as big as she is and 2. disagrees with the free choice alfalfa. I have orchard/Timothy hay too but thought the alfalfa would be better for the growing foal with its higher protein and better for milk. She always leaves hay so she doesn't strike me as the sort to over eat (my quarter will eat as long as there is food in front of her). Opinions?

I appreciate everyone's help as I am surrounded mostly by cattle people and full size horses. I will keep the pictures coming!
We must be "neighbors", I too am surrounded mostly by cattle people (my husband and in-laws included) and full-size horses.

Boy! You had me looking all over for this pretty girl.

In the AMHA...she's registered as "SPOTTED ACRES TOYHORSE CHARM" AMHA - A 69408

In the AMHR...she's registered as "R. BEARS TOYHORSE CHARMER" - AMHR - 80716A

Her sire (Toyhorse Admiral Acorn) was a blue/black dun roan, from a red roan pinto (Toyhorse Little Fiend), out of a solid buckskin (Toyhorse Angel)

Her dam (Toyhorse Autumn Magic) was a "solid" APPALOOSA chestnut mare -- from the Chestnut appaloosa (TOYHORSE TYROSPOT PATCH) Toyhorse Tyrospot Patch.jpg

-- whose grandsire was Wantsley Ariel Wantsley Ariel.jpg - (the little horse (a British Spotted Pony) that was the REAL sire of some horses that were originally registered by Lady Fisher as pure Falabellas, she showed him on pedigrees simply as Ariel - but when DNA testing became available, it was discovered that he was the sire)

- out of a "solid" black APPALOOSA mare, Toyhorse Black Beauty

-- whose sire was TOYHORSE ERMINE TOES TOYHORSE ERMINE TOES.jpg.

Just some info I thought you might find interesting.

Last edited:
Whew!! You found all sorts of good stuff!!! If I see spots I'll be sure you're the first to know!! Lol! Holy be geezers! All sorts of new stuff to look up! Ok, so this may be a dumb question but... I found her in a back yard breeding/hoarding mess but it looks like she has good blood lines? Sorry... SO new to minis! Like I said earlier it has taken me ten plus years to recognize good Quarter horse lines and to know the faults of some of the well known studs. Anyway... Thank you SO much for finding all that!!! I do find it all very interesting!

She is getting about a cup and a half AM and two cups PM of the mare and foal. She had been getting a rounded cup but the vet said Charm was a tad under weight still when she came out last month.

Hmmmm.... Now might be the time to figure out how to transfer her papers over o_O .....

She is getting about a cup and a half AM and two cups PM of the mare and foal. She had been getting a rounded cup but the vet said Charm was a tad under weight still when she came out last month.

That's only about 1# of mare and foal feed, which might not be quite enough for her. I can't remember how tall you said she is, and now that you've mentioned she is still a bit under weight; you can probably increase her amount. [Typical pelleted feeds are 5-6oz per standard kitchen dry cup measure. So, 3 cups is about 1# or a tad more.]

My 32" mare is way chunky (320# last Aug), so probably not a good place to guess weight from and my 31" stallion is a very slight built guy (175#); but I would guess your mare should be a minimum of 225# and probably closer to 275# since she's pregnant. Using a scale would be best, but a formula or even a weight tape to get an estimation of her weight would be a good idea. The LB info pages has a formula and a chart for determining weight.

default_thumbup.gif
Good work Diane, It looks like this foal is going to be really quite something special
default_smile.png

I will leave the feeding advice to the american girls as food and weight is different here. I have no problem feeding Alfalfa and I would think it is perfect for her.

LOL!! Diane - I was going to do the ancestor look-up today!! WOW!! Cam, we ARE related!! I owned Tyrospot Patch from 1992 until his death in 2005 and he was a very special little boy. He was actually bred by a well known breeder called Leonard Stenning who had the Tyros stud (the Toyhorse prefix was added to Patch's name unofficially, so is not technically correct, but does appear on the papers of his many offspring who were exported to the USA in the late 1980's/early 1990's) I still have one of his daughters (18 years old this year) and through her several of his g/children, plus one g/g/child.

The Wantsley stud was well known for their breeding of 'spotty' ponies and minis, and Ariel was very well known in the UK, plus being a prolific sire of spotties during his lifetime. His dam Feather was a pure British Shetland, as was Patch's dam - Orcop Pixie.

I knew Little Fiend - he was quite the firey little fella and very small, but very correct in conformation. I also knew Angel, Black Beauty and Ermine Toes, but do not remember Acorn or Autumn Magic. Over the next few days I will try to dig out some of my old papers to see if there is anything else that I can find for you.
default_yes.gif

Meanwhile keep those pictures coming for us and good luck with the pool strips.

As for feeding, I believe she is not getting enough mare/foal feed for this late in her pregnancy, so I would begin increasing her amount. Depending on the "brand" she should probably be getting close to 3 pounds -- so at least double the amount you're feeding her now. Especially in this late stage, and then with foaling, mares can get "pulled down" -- so you are safe to increase her grain by probably double what she's getting now. Her body is screaming for calories now, and on a mare/foal feed + the alfalfa, you should see a beautiful change in her condition -- and baby will be getting the protein she needs for building those strong bones and muscles. So make the little princess happy and increase her feed. LOL

WOW Anna! How wonderful to know some of those Toyhorse horses! I've admired Tyrospot Patch for a long time, and Ermine Toes was 1/2 Falabella and is behind many wonderful appaloosas in the US. So cool!! Can't wait to see what you find!

Woot! Will up the grain!! Thinking I will add another feeding rather than more to her current ones? I am guessing her insides are getting pretty squished by now!

Holy cow! Thanks for all the info on my little girl!!! It amazes me that she could land in a bad spot given all I am hearing! Oh, Anna, SO cool!!! Where are the pictures!! (See I catch on quick!). From this poor little under weight mini who rode home on my lap, in the crew cab of my BFs truck to all this history!! Who would have thought it! Major brownie points to BF who loves his truck more than me some days (it's ok, I love my horses more than him some days... We get it ;) ) and who is afraid of horses! She was just in such bad shape we could not leave her there waiting on the shipper to get her in another day or two.

Rough morning... Got trampled and kicked in the head by a boarder this morning at turn out. He is one of our best under saddle and for show but has an abuse history and has been a real problem for turn out. SO... My BF insisted I come with him to work today. I know I have a mild concussion but don't have insurance to get checked out... So... I will try and get pics but no promises today
default_sad.png

OMG Cam are you O.K ? that sounds frightening
default_sad.png
What is his problem when you turn him out? maybe I can help, I have had my fare share of nutters in my years
default_frusty.gif

I have had lots of nutters too but not like him. He is BROKE to death... WP and halter. He is unflappable on a trail. But when I try to turn him out he frequently bolts (but will not go out if I just turn him out with the gate open). He is random with when and where he bolts as well as where he bolts too. Usually he just knocks me on my butt and runs off (our property is fenced so that they can get out but can't get anywhere but other pastures and the barn). Today he deliberately turned into me and ran through/over me. Ears were up, tail relaxed, nothing out there to spook him. It never feels like a spook though. It feels like an OK I have gone your way far enough, now to where I want! I brought him in, caught him, lunged him and he had perfect manners on the line. Collected, watching me, responsive and no clue that this had anything to do with running me over. It was almost like lunging was familiar and soothing to him. He has been with us several weeks. I have tried a regular halter, rope halter, crop, and stud chain. Oh, and it is always going out to the pasture and he always runs in some direction away from the pastures. He runs to the arena, the barn doors (which are open) or the dry lot. Catch him to ride and he is just fine!

How are you feeling now?

He could have had a bad experience at a pasture gate. We had one that would only enter the stable at full speed and to heck with whoever was in the way. It really got on my nerves so I would take him in and out 10 -20 times a day. I led him in blindfolded, I reversed him in and out and I even crossed tied him with his body in the stable and his head out. He settled down after about a month cos I think he just got worn out with me. He isn't perfect now but he is much better and can be trusted not to wipe someone out. The trick with a bolter is to keep his neck flexed towards you at all times, teach him that plastic bags have goodies in them and give him sweeties as you go just to keep his attention, soon just the sound of plastic will keep his attention glued to you. I can catch my girls by just pulling the plastic cover off my cigarettes, they hear it and all come running to see what I have
default_new_rofl.gif

Charm came out for a good grooming today and was very happy to have lunch when she got back to her stall!!! She LOVES her Aunties! She is SO much more affectionate and personable preggers! I really hope this sticks around after the foal is born!

I am sore. Tomorrow will be the hard day as I have other medical stuff that is likely to be set off by this. Any changes or stress can send things haywire for a day or two.

Friends cow had twins last night... She said maybe charm will have twins tonight o_O Of all nights I hope tonight and tomorrow are not the nights this little lady decides to foal! Anyway... Everyone here thinks she is going to have twins because she is SO big. I am hoping they are just not used to minis!

Golly, you must be so sore, poor you! Hope you feel better very soon. By the way I also agree with Renee's idea of 'rustling plastic' for keeping the attention focused - my minis also know the sound of cigarette packets, choccy wrappers etc etc LOL!!

How's little Charm looking today - we need some new pics so we can try to give you an idea of when to expect this baby - it could be sooner than you think!

Thank you everyone. I was not able to get any sort of milk from her and her hooha is zipped tighter than it likely has been since she came of breeding age! We did have a good groom today, think she knew it was more about the human than it was her.

The sore is starting to hit. I have to admit that in my twenty years of horses today was a first. I have been very fortunate in that in all the horses i have ever worked with all these years and at a number of different stables i have only run into one other horse with so little regard for humans that it would run someone over when it had several other directions. The horses owners are here now... The primary owner is very inexperienced and wants to walk him up and down where we have the most trouble with him... Praying I am the only one to get hurt today. Just want everyone to leave (there have been people here since I got home) so I can go be with/ride/snuggle my Quarter Pony mare.

Will go try and get pics.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back