N00b w/prego rescue mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry you got hurt!! I'm sure you're going to REALLY feel it tomorrow. Take something and rest!!!

OMG! Do we all use crinkle paper to catch horses? Mine are so inquisitive with the paper from my cigs -- they can't WAIT to see what I might have for them!!

OK, so am I the only one here whos mares haven't driven them to smoking yet? o_O Although, while we are on the topic... anyone else start sympathy cravings with their prego minis? I cannot keep those cheep $1 frozen pizzas in the house!!!!

OK, beloved aunties... pics of our little princess...

IMG_9959.JPG

IMG_9960.JPG

IMG_9961.JPG

IMG_9963.JPG

IMG_9963.JPG

IMG_9962.JPG

Oh Anna, just found your web page! What beautiful babies! Oh my goodness! That was a huge help. I have a much better idea of the 'toyhorse' look and am much less nurotic about some of the possible color outcomes now that I have seen the beauties you have! ... OK... more pages on your site to flip through.......

Pregnancy cravings! Why didn't I think of that! Honey, I need chocolate, I'm having sympathy pains!
default_thumbup.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I hope you are feeling better today
default_smile.png

Charm still has to get baby into position and work on her shopping so you have a little while to go yet

princess.jpgprincess...jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that Charm has a little way to go yet, but due to her previous life, she may not fill her udder completely before she foals or she might do it as she foals, so keep a watch out for any other signs that she is close.

Glad you found your way to my website Cam - sorry but I dont know how to 'highlight' it in my signature to save folks searching. Yes, there are several Toyhorses in the back ground of my tribe, mostly due to Patch being my first mini stallion back in the early 1990's and also to the fact that I purchased a few mares many years ago, plus my special little boy Mootie (Colonel Mustard) is half Toyhorse breeding (purchased his dam in foal to a Toyhorse stallion) and we used Mootie a lot in our early breeding. When I get time (we are all very busy here right now) I will look through all the old info that I have and try to find more out about Charms relations for you.

Love the pics - she is such a pretty little girl.
default_yes.gif

Sore today... Ok, very sore today. It is raining and miserable. Just want to set a cot up in Charms stall and rest all day!

*sigh* would like to see the baby though! Glad to know she has a bit to go as I have to be away from the barn today.

Thank you all again for your kindness and help. There is a lot going on here other than little charmer and it is SO nice to have another safe, supportive world to run off to. This morning is a bit nutty with the trip into town but I will try to get pics this afternoon.

She is looking very good, but will give you time to feel better. Baby isn't in position yet, as Renee has said, so you have some time to wait and let your muscles heal!!!

She's such a beautful girl!!

Thank you everyone! Like I said, I had no idea what I was getting into with her. I just knew she was in a bad spot and needed out. I checked the usual big horse stuff, loaded her and got her home and started getting weight on her. I never would have imagined this! Glad she will be giving me some time to heal. I know I would have enough adrenaline running when she foals to do anything she might need... But man I would pay for it if I had to do it now!

She is a good girl and I am very happy to have her. Prior to her arrival I had a really low opinion of minis... She has been a very good ambassador of the breed! (In defense of minis all the others I had met were pets, most had been raised like dogs).

I understand. I was NOT a fan of mini's until I accidentally got mine. I was supposed to sell her for my mom over two years ago, and she's STILL here. Not only that, I bred her for another one on purpose! I ADORE mini's now!!! I'd rather have a mini than a big horse... It's like being around a toddler- they can do no wrong in my book!

i believe that many of us are exactly the same way -- we LOVE our minis!!

Yes, I am hopelessly hooked. I like having a riding horse (which right now I do) but given how little I ride a mini is much more practical and I could always get a cart! ROFL! There are people here now and I am SO very not social today so I will go out and get pics once it is nice and quiet! I know the Aunties like their daily check in pics!

Oh, question... The vet is coming tomorrow to give the big girls their spring shots (so watch for a foal tomorrow night or Thursday;) ). They are sending a cow vet o_O . They did not know if she could get shots or not or which ones. I HATE the vets out here!

No progress that I could tell on little miss but it was a talk to the tail (from a distance) sort of visit as she has been in all day due to weather and mom was a tad late with lunch... In her humble opinion.

I did get my head checked today by someone with a lot of medical knowledge although no license. When she said it was throwing off a lot of heat I started going through my horse first aid kit and how to vet wrap it with a compress... Either the kick or breathing all this barn dust has surely gone to my head!

I think I need more help with this foaling kit thing... We need a kit for the grandmas and aunties!! Horses have been doing this as long as there have been horses... Our interfering is relatively new and while interfering is natural to the human species I think this is on a special scale... So.. Cot, caffeine of choice, camera for video, camera for stills, BF to watch the kid and call the local aunties (roflmao... As if he will wake up!) I know many of you will need your cigarettes I'm thinking I will need the toaster oven and the cheep pizzas... Lots of cheep pizza... Chocolate... There has to be chocolate!

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
Us on the Nutty Nursery are not everybody's cup of tea as we are a bunch of fruit cakes but I think you are fitting in just fine
default_new_rofl.gif

As to your question, we usually vac. the girls once a year about a month before foaling but with a new girl that you have no history on I would suggest you wait until she has foaled. I would hate for her to have a bad reaction at this stage of the pregnancy.

I agree with you about horses foaling alone for years and I have that attitude with big horses, I would monitor from a distance and leave the mare and foal alone unless there was a problem but minis are nothing like big horses. I foaled out over 15 big horses a year with my father in law for 11 years and only ever lost one foal that was born premature and with a cleft palate. Unfortunately in 5 years I lost 3 foals and had 1 dummy. These little mares just have it much harder and left alone if they manages to get it out they often suffocate as they can't break the sac. It just isn't worth leaving them alone. You ask any of the girls here whose foals have arrived. Mindy moaned that she was worn out bless her after nights and nights of sleepless worry but if you ask her now I bet she would jump at the chance to do it again. Right Mindy?

o.k I am woffling
default_whistling.gif

I think the Nutty Nursery Aunties are the only thing keeping me sane at this point
default_new_shocked.gif
Although... sane is not a well defined state... you should have seen the poor woman at Walmart when I walked up with a cart full of Jeno's Pizza and nothing else (every pepperoni they had in stock... thankfully it is a small Walmart)... then when she gave me the inevitable raised eyebrow I said I had a mare foaling.
default_whistling.gif

Anyone got one of those padded stalls for kickers/foaling??? I REALLY want one but this should be my only foal and I don't have a kicker... I am just thinking a padded stall would be more appropriate and better ventilated than a padded room when this is all said and done.

OK... so... Pics! if for no other reason than once I post them on here from my big computer I can log in on my Ipad, steal them and compair them side by side... yup... misplaced the card reader for the Ipad... Again
default_frusty.gif

IMG_9981.JPG

IMG_9982.JPG "does this belly make my butt look big???"

IMG_9983.JPG

IMG_9985.JPG

You have me laughing and that's such a good thing!!! You're fitting in just fine!!

One thing I always tell myself, is that these little minis are not really "natural" in size. They were downsized through breeding, and along with that came the birthing problems. Kind of like the Persian cats who are bred for big, wide heads -- that their momma's can't deliver, and is it bull dogs that have more cesarean sections than natural births. The more people interfere with nature, the more problems these poor animals have.

My rule of thumb is WATCH from outside the stall -- keeping a close eye on progress, and let nature take it's course when possible. If mare's get plenty of exercise right up to foaling, they seem to have an easier time, as their muscles are in condition for labor. Only when something doesn't "feel" right should you move to help out! Many will foal without problems, but we just want EVERY baby safely on the ground, and since we KNOW that the minis can have a hard time of it, you just want to be prepared to help if and when it becomes necessary.

Size doesn't matter either. My two smallest mares -- less then 28" -- used to pop out babies within "seconds" it seemed. Six pushes and there was a healthy foal on the ground. Then a couple of my 34" mares had dystocia's involving feet folded, heads down, a breech, a backwards foal, one leg and that was all, etc. The key is to train yourself on what steps you can take to assist the little momma should she need you!

Hopefully, all you will get to do is WATCH!!! (and then play!!!)

Last edited:
Yes, we messed with these little ones a LOT. Honestly my stand on all domesticated animals is that we domesticated them now we need to step up and take responsibility for their well being... A variant of my "you broke it, you fix it" theory.

I totally agree. I don't miss births of any animal if I can help it. Whelped lots of puppies, cats, goats, cows, horses, etc., in my day~!

For that you are right!!! I was in attendance at every one of my 6 grandchildren's births -- was in Seattle for Joshua's difficult and unexpectedly early birth, and had to do the "red-eye" from Seattle, WA to Tampa, FL overnight -- just to be at the hospital at 7:00 am in Sarasota the next morning to be at Jack's birth. It was close -- but I made it!!

Those were the days!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back