N00b w/prego rescue mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vansplic

Reaction score
Hi! I'm cam. I had been on this web page a lot but just found the nutty nursery!

This fall I rescued a 32" 17/yr old mini from a back yard breeder. Her last foal was born April 24th of last year and the breeder just left the stud in all the time. I never intended on having a mini or breeding and when I brought the vet out she was rather useless... I have a mini that looks as though it swallowed a beach ball, you tell me she is still under weight but can't say she is pregnant??? o_O SO... I've been lurking! Forums have gotten me through all sorts of things with other critters and issues so here we go! Vet said she could be due any time after March 24th. She has been a life long brood mare and the farms on her papers that were not total jerks told me she always foaled easily. Going to try to upload some pics as I think I have the drill down here... Shut up and post pictures! ;).

image.jpg about a month after she got here so early Oct?

image.jpg 3+weeks ago!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

She is a red roan dun bred to a dark bay splash overo. I looked at the genetics as I can track her and the sire fairly well and we have a 52% chance of "what the * were they thinking" but... There are so many variations possible between her and this stud that the highest probability was a whopping 6.25%. She is 32" sire is 30" both double registered ( and yet he couldn't feed the mares or take the stud out of the pasture o_O... The stud was fed well though. *sigh*).

And fair warning I use emoticons liberally once I figure out where you are hiding the little beggers or remember the codes for them!

I will try to get pics today. She has a small bag, teets are almost pointed down, still firm in the butt/dock, I have not been able to get milk and her hooha is darker but not dark yet. She had little socialization prior to coming here so pics can be difficult.

Oh, and please excuse my auto correct.. It blunders frequently, often with humorous results!

Hi Cam and Welcome to the Nutty Nursery. Your little girl is adorable and thank you for saving her and sharing her with us
default_smile.png

The more pics you post the easier it is for us to help (plus we just love to see them)
default_yes.gif
I would love to see an udder and hooha pic if she will let you and a pic from the back to see how baby is riding. From her side shot we can see a good size tummy so she shouldn't have too long to wait. It looks cold there with all that snow, where are you? I am in Italy and spring has finally arrived thank goodness
default_smile.png

Renee

I am in Indiana, USA... It was 60 the day after the snow pictures were taken! I am doubtful she will let me get hooha pics she is not that well socialized. I may be able to get utter shots and should be able to get front, back and sides. She still has some winter wooly going but it is not too fluffy. Oddly being preggers has made her significantly more affectionate!

Alright... It has been forever since I have been on a forum... Where are you guys hiding the emoticons?? More than likely the same place all these foals are hiding!

Where you write if you look above after Font and Size you will see the font colours and a smiley face, click the face and scroll down, a list of them will appear and the writing "show all" click there and a window will open with the rest of them
default_thumbup.gif

This is my favourite
default_xkngt.gif

What a gorgeous girl you have! She certainly looks big enough to be pregnant but time will tell. Cant wait to see more photos
default_smile.png

mwahahahaha it was the Ipad hiding the emoticons!..
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

sorry... OT

please excuse the photography and the stall... we are in what used to be a breeding barn for arabians and Charm is in the foaling stall... I clean every morning and she spends the evening redecorating! I should have gotten a delivery of straw when I got hay!

anyway... todays pics...

IMG_9661.JPG bucket ketteh... because he is cute.

IMG_9837.JPG hooha
IMG_9836.JPG tail end

IMG_9838.JPG belly

IMG_0398.JPG official supervisory kitteh and fence sitter

Thanks! I had very little clue what I would be picking up when I got the call. I just adore the little thing even though I never liked minis before her. I am trying to figure out more about the minis but am very slow. Her registered name is Toyhorse Charmer and by the looks of her papers she has been all over the midwest as a brood mare.

She has some utter development and I have seen movement/kicking so I know she is preggers.

I will go look for the pics I have of the foals sire and of Charmer and her foal from last year....

Hi Cam and welcome to the Nutty Nursery - a welcome to Charm as well! She certainly looks pregnant too - if she foaled last year on April 24th but was left in with the stallion, I dont think she has taken to her foaling heat but probably to the next heat, so you could be looking at a baby anytime from now'ish' to end of April!

It sounds as though she has a good sized stall arranged for the foaling, but just make sure she gets plenty of outside time as well, so important for these brood mares. How is her worming programme? It is a good idea to be ready to give a dose of an Ivermectin wormer within 12 hours of a mare foaling - it often seems to help protect the baby from having runny poos when the mare has her foaling heat. Oh and has anyone told you not to use Quest wormers on minis, plus look for something other than Bute for any necessary pain relief.

So glad you were able to rescue her - she's a lucky little girl and it looks as though she produces some lovely babies too. Can you give me the names of her parents - I'm in the UK and during the 1990's had quite a bit to do with the Toyhorse stud (I have one or two Toyhorses amongst my herd too) so I may have seen her parents/siblings from around that time. Just interested and love finding 'connections'!
default_yes.gif

I would LOVE to find out more about her genetics!!! I am such a junkie and I know nothing! She has a full sister who is grulla but I forgot her name. Her Sire is Toyhorse Admiral Acorn and Dam is Toyhorse Autumn magic. Anything you can Tell me about the Toyhorse line would be deeply appreciated. I am a Quarter Horse person and even with them it has taken me ten+ years to start to get an acceptable grip on bloodlines.

The foals sire is either Lazy Q's Misty Moonlight or Lazy Q's Daydream Believer

Yes, she has a huge stall! She gets turned out on a large grass pasture daily. Our spring grass is just coming up so we are gradually building up her time on pasture. We have a dry lot but I have too many other horses on it that are just too rough for her right now. She does get some turn out in the indoor arena too.

She is on ivermectin as it was the only one I could find locally that was OK at any stage of pregnancy. I always have a couple on hand so worming right after she foals should not be a problem.

I know you can't give bute but do you have a suggestion for something else? My vet knows little to nothing about minis and I don't have any other choices in vets.

End of April!!! Eeeeek! Not sure I can hold out that long ;) .

Yes as Chanda has said we all use Benamine, I give a dose after birth to help with the pain so you might want to ask you vet before hand to leave you a dose. Most vets take their time to come out after a normal birth which could leave you mare in pain for a few hours
default_sad.png

Even emergency calls take a long time here. I am new to this area and was late in discovering there is only one vet clinic for large animals that serves my area and I do not like the two vets that have been out
default_sad.png
. The vets here are very minimalistic and IMO horses seemed like little more than elaborate farm equipment to them. The two that have been out both admit to knowing little or nothing about minis. I will put a call into my old vet tomorrow and see if I can get it from them (he has worked with my other mare for 7 of her 10 years so we know each other well). Trying very hard to avoid a vet rant! Ugh! The more I read these threads the more I find out things my vet never told me about! Looks like it is going to be me and the Aunties! Good thing I've got an experienced mare!

Oh, and something else your vet probably won't tell you about the Banamine (and you may not wish to mention to your vet, depending on how you think he'll react). Many have given the injectible orally to make dosing easier, and no shot reaction either. [Just draw up appropriate amount in syringe, remove needle and give orally like you would dewormer.] There is an oral paste form, and if your vet has it, it may just be the easiest way to go (although, usually more expensive).

Yes I understand well, I have loads of vets in my area that I have worked with for nearly 20 years with the big horses but it took me 5 years to find a good mini vet.

Just do your homework and I am sure all will be fine.

Take a look at our Foaling Kit thread to make sure you have everything you might need.
default_smile.png

Welcome to our Nutty Nursery~!! We are all here for you to get this precious little one on the ground -- so ANY question you have, just ask!

I was a "bad" Auntie and was away almost all weekend, so didn't get any time here, but there are many with loads of experience, so don't fret -- we'll get this little one safely on the ground~!

I LOVE the color genetics available for this cross. You're looking at about 59% probability the base color will be bay, 33% it will be sorrel/chestnut and a 4.5 Blue/Black roan and 4.6% probability it will be black. To that you get to add all the wonderful possibilities of roan, dun and frame overo -- or any combination of the same -- or ALL of them together! This will be a fun girl to watch!!!

As Chanda said, Banamine is the preferred pain reliever for these minis -- and I ALWAYS give this injectable meds orally. Since the mouth is full of mucous membranes it gets into their systems very fast, and you have none of the possible problems associated with injectible meds. She will HATE the taste of it, however, but it is very safe for her. With the minis it's given at 1cc / 100 pounds. I always give my mares a dose after the placenta has been passed, just to get them "over the hump" of the continuing contractions as the uterus contracts. As an experienced mare -- she shoudl do fine, but feel free to ask us anything you think about. There is no such thing as a "dumb" question here --- we want to give you a level of comfort so you can make sure you feel comfortable about helping her should you need it!

WELCOME again!!!

Last edited:
I think I have put together every foaling kit on the Internet! I have everything but the pain meds which I will work on getting tomorrow. My other girls need their spring shots and what better way to get a foal to come than to have the vet out the day before! (We already tried changing the straw, planning a trip that could not be changed and a couple other ways to tempt murphies law!)

I was able to milk her today for the first time... Be it previous lack of skill or lack of milk. It seemed clear and a very light yellow but I have to admit I wasn't ready for it and then was too excited!

I am glad you love the color options Diane... They seem like a roulette wheel to me! I love statistics but don't understand color genetics well. My little mare alone was enough to get me to give up on the color calculator unless I was going to do testing. Her grand sire was an Appy!?!?! Bay works! It is the possibility of the roan and overo together that worries me.

I know she has had at least three foals but the only one I can find is the one that was at her side when I picked her up. He was cute and seemed correct but it was hard to tell as his feet were already severely over grown.

I appreciate everyone's help as I am surrounded mostly by cattle people and full size horses. I will keep the pictures coming!

You made me giggle
default_smile.png
I can just imagine how excited you were when you got milk. Lol

Do you have any milk testing strips? Many of the girls here use pool strips but a few of us are in love with the Foal-Time strips as you only need a drop of milk.

Welcome Cam and Charm! What a cutie she is! Everyone has already told you about the nursery but one other thing is we all LOVE photos, so the more the better! Glad you decided to join us and share your beautiful mare and her upcoming foal with us
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back