N00b w/prego rescue mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! I'm still laughing (thankfully I used the potty BEFORE I started reading!)

oh what a cute little foal! LOL love the hooning pics! what fun to have in a massive sand arena like that! :D

glad no kitties were hurt in that production lol. gorgeous!

Yes, we are a bit spoiled. in its hay day this was a high end Arabian breeding farm. Currently part of what used to be the arena is being used to store farm equipment as 30ish of the 35 acres are farmed. But we still have a very large arena mostly for the big horses, a couple of whom show, but the little ones get to play as well. Charm and Topaz are lucky enough to have the original foaling stall as well... SO they have a nice big horse foaling stall to romp in just outside my back door (the viewing room was made into an apartment).

Topaz is my little princess and I think she knows it.

As for the hair cut... need new blades on the clippers or just flat out new clippers. I have a small pair that are still cutting but they were made for faces not body clips.
default_sad.png

You'll have to show us some pictures of the big horses that show, too! We love all pictures!

Topaz is quite the princess!

What a little spit fire you have on your hands...so cute and I Iove the hair cut!!! And yes your sand arena would be something I can only dream about!!

Aaaah CRUD! You ladies have corrupted me!

I just saw a mare for sale that should foal any day... SO want to go pick her up tomorrow so we can have another baby! Then we would have two for weaning and Charm wouldn't have to be alone either! BUT there is the snafoo of the rather lofty price tag for a brood mare who is double registered but doesn't look very showable to me and neither does the stud. She is not a bad looking mare just not what is winning out here in shows right now and she has no skills other than having babies.
default_sad.png

Grumble

Got more clipping done tonight will try to post pics tomorrow. Hoping for a quiet day on the farm! ROFL!

How does her price compare with a mare with a foal already at foot?? Just thinking that something could happen and you could end up with a mare that you are maybe not that impressed with and no foal - or even a COLT foal who would have to be separated from your filly pretty soon after weaning anyway!

Sorry this is a bit abrupt - typing quickly to get it posted, my dog is pleading to be let out into the garden!!

I'm back - dog safely out in the garden! LOL!!

How far away is this new mare? Travelling this close to foaling can bring on sudden labour so be prepared just in case. A couple of years ago we had a hold up with moving our girls over to daughter's farm to foal and they moved three and a half weeks before the first one's due date. Two days later she gave birth to a very frail little filly who could certainly have done with an extra couple of weeks inside Momma. Three days after this a second mare foaled (exactly a month before her due date) out in the field unexpectedly and the foal never cleared the bag so we lost it! Of course there could have been other factors at play to cause these two to foal early - they were both seasoned brood mares - but never again will we transport our mares unless they are at least 6 weeks away from their due dates (the suggested norm is 4 weeks before foaling), not worth the risk in my opinion. Seriously, I'm not trying to put you off having this mare, just trying in my typical bumbling way to warn you to some possibilities!

Good luck if you do get this new mare - and dont forget that we will require lots of pictures and all the details about her!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the owners will let you get some pictures of the mare and stallion that you could show us? When is her due date?

We just LOVE corrupting friends!

Tried to find her again. My guess is she foaled last night/this morning as they listed her for sale late last night and she is gone. His horses never move that fast. OK... went into history files... I guess the post got flagged for removal so I will keep an eye open for him to re-post her. He posted the due date as July

she was 31" black overo (looked splash to me but I am new at colors) mostly black. She was built like Charm so more of the shetland mini look as opposed to the arab mini look. Sire was the same, more stocky build. He has others posted but it is the same guy I got Charm off of and last time I contacted him he did not return my message. But then... I was not too polite about the conditions of his place when I got Charm.
default_whistling.gif

$1500 just seems high to me unless they have proven themselves, have training, or really good bloodlines or a foal with obvious potential. There was nothing in the ad that suggested any of that.

OK... search hard enough on the internet and you can find anything...

Chiquita.SMBS.jpg

She is bred to the same splash stallion that sired Topaz.

PICS! Yay!

OK... What is with the color? I don't have experience body clipping horses but she seems very dark on top towards the butt especially. I assume that is the Dun stripe running along her back and then she lightens on the sides and up front. There was a high chance of bay but it doesn't seem to be coming through in the right places. As you can see clipping is still a work in progress. She is not too sure about the clippers when they get near her neck and face... either that or I get worse with the scritches because I am not flexible enough to rub her butt with my left hand and clip her neck with my right.
default_blush.png

IMG_6154.JPG

IMG_6155.JPG

IMG_6150.JPG

Ye gats... maybe, just maybe I will get my head screwed on straight before I go to bed. just a side note on the other mare in foal... I do like her and wouldn't consider myself stuck with her even if the foaling did not work out... There are several mares at the same place that I would feel stuck with and I feel so guilty that I judge them like that but she is not one of them. If I remember correctly she is rather sweet and I think she would be cute all cleaned up. Just a high price tag IMO.

Sorry, no pics or updates yet. My son has day camp this week and it is a hour and a half each way. lil miss is peeved she is in most of the day and getting very little attention. I have the bites to prove it
default_smile.png
Will be back oround soon.

Hope your son is enjoying his week at the camp - and I love those pics of lil miss with her new clip (not sure of the colour though!)
default_yes.gif

You did a much better job at clipping than I did..same co ordination problems here. Your little one looks great and I bet she feels good having that hair off!!

OK, big day... Charm and Topaz are turned out with another horse for the first time since Topaz was born. It is a little Shetland who is old, has foundered several times so is kinda slow getting around and doesn't care about anyone elses business. Ms. Charm is not happy. Topaz is staying by mom, Ginger is oblivious to it all and munching on left over hay from the night turn out horses. Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Hoping for happy playful pasture days for all the chips and a peaceful "watching" day for you.....isn't it funny the milestones we horse people look forward to!!

Latest posts

Back