N00b w/prego rescue mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your possible weaning companion sounds perfect! Apart from Renee's letter to hubby about how to wean, we can also send a lot of info about the problems incurred when trying to wean a single foal!
default_yes.gif

Oooh... How to wean and problems weaning a single foal would be a wonderful help!! I have not contacted the owner of the other foal but have located a "pet quality" mini at a local breeder that would also work... The only thing I don't like is the pet quality mini would be virtually untouched until it got here. Hmmm... Bet I am over due for pictures... Have to wait on video as we are close to our monthly data limit...

If we've waited more than 1 day you're overdue for pictures of that gorgeous little one!

To bad someone near you doesn't have another little one where you could both benefit from having the babies together.

yes ma'am
default_yes.gif

IMG_5868.JPG Topaz w/my son on one of his not-so-good days

IMG_5910.JPG
default_xreiter.gif

IMG_5879.JPG

IMG_5919.JPG

IMG_5924.JPG Cute and I knows it!

IMG_5929.JPG Ooooh... Toes to nibble on!

Her little nose and eyes are slowly shedding out... looking forward to seeing her summer coat... but don't have the heart to body clip the baby fluff unless it starts getting too hot. I tried to get a pic of the fresh new baby teeth but the camera was not co-operating. Also trying to get a pic of the adorable spot on her cutsie little black spot in the middle of her nose.

Dear Aunties,

My deepest apologies, I have failed you. today started stormy so to save grass and avoid mud I left horses in. We have one mare with lameness issues and a very small stall (her owners choice not mine). So... with horses being in I moved the lame horse to the foaling stall and moved Charm and Topaz into the tiny stall. We got home a bit after 2 and the weather had cleared. In my eagerness to get the babies out side I did not bring a camera...

Topaz was doing figure 8's digging in tight at the turns then decided to do an impromptu barrel pattern using the hay feeder and momma as barrels (thus requiring that mommas head be jumped to keep the turn tight), then onto bucking and kicking and then a cutting horse display complete with spins. sliding stops with backing and all the attitude of a big horse! ROFL!

She is such a wild thing
default_smile.png
Of course we forgive you but don't do it again
default_whistling.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

The thoughts of your silly cutting mini crack me up...It always blew my mind just how agile they are at such a young age. Love the pictures...especially the "toes"...mine are fascinated with toes and shoe laces too.

Cameras should be carried at ALL times!! We will forgive you this once but please dont let it happen again!

Are you ready for this one????

Baby gots SHOES!......

IMG_5961.JPG Coming in for dinner

IMG_5962.JPG Oh hey now... That's kinda cute Grand Dam

IMG_5965.JPG Phased, as usual

IMG_5971.JPG getting the feel...

IMG_5973.JPG Momma says time for bed
default_sad.png

Ok, so shoes are not a hit....

Farrier comes tomorrow and I know she needs trimmed in the back... Now to see if she can be a good girl and pick them up like we've worked on or if grand darn has to hold her up so he can get at them.... She is getting big so my fingers are crossed for the first.

Hearing crickets over here!

OK... Topaz needed trimmed but while I can pick up all four and gently file them she was NOT having anything to do with the farrier. Suggestions? She is starting to be afraid of people and I don't know why. Is this normal at 2.5 months? should I be concerned? I supervise all handling (unless someone is messing with her when I am not here) and everything is gentle and on her terms... SO confused! She is handled or has the opportunity to be handled frequently throughout the day every day so it is not like she is an untouched foal. ?????
default_unsure.png

Hi and sorry for not answering sooner. Us Aunties were just taking a few days off to chill whilst there are no girls due (apart from Sweetie) It has been full on for 6 months here
default_thud.gif

Your little one is growing up fast and is starting to get horsey instincts, just bare with her and give her plenty of space, she will soon come round again. As to here feet I would get the farrier to try again but very slowly, get him to sit on the floor and make a game of it
default_yes.gif

O.k so why did she get shoes? Is this your maternal need to dress a baby girl
default_whistling.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I had hoped to use her as a therapy mini so there would be times where she might need them so as not to slip or to scratch the floors... Sadly though things are taking a significant turn for the worse here and it is looking like I am going to have to sell her.
default_crybaby.gif

The farrier was very good with her and we tried a few things but no luck. I think I am going to have my BF come in the stall with me while I am playing with her at night and get her used to more people at a time. I may also need to find more men to interact with her as it is mostly women and girls here. If my fear of screwing her up starts to override my fear of her getting screwed up by the long feet I may trim her myself. I used to do my own big horses years ago but then got lazy. I still have what I would need to shorten her up a bit so she is not rocking back on her hoof. Long feet is a HUGE pet peeve! I thought that by being able to pick up and file all four we would be OK today but I was SO wrong. Even tried holding her but she wasn't having any of it!

Yes well we know she had always been feisty
default_smile.png

I am so sorry things aren't working out for you and that you might have to sell her
default_sad.png
I am in a similar situation so I understand. Try and enjoy her whilst you can. Sending hugs

So sorry to hear you might have to let her go. She's such a little fiesty girl -- she'll come around in time, little ones go through "stages" just like children, so don't get too upset with it. They eventually learn to stand -- but with some babies it can just take a while.

Her little therapy shoes are so cute! Hoping things change for the better for you! Meantime -- play, play....play!!!

Yes, we got some play time today.
default_smile.png

I cannot get a regular halter anywhere near her but I made her an itty bitty rope halter today that she wears (HIGHLY supervised) without issue. She is not so sure about the sprinkler or the pool
default_sad.png
BUT my son had fun! She loves chasing the cat, biting the big horses and running and butt rubs on ANYTHING! She is a little upset the other mini baby (AKA my 80lb dog) doesn't want to play with her. I will try to get some new pics tonight as her little face is shedding out
default_smile.png
Really tempted to clip her and see what is under there but she is not too sure on the clippers right now either.

Just take your time -- sometimes it takes days to finish clipping the little ones! They can look quite comical for a few days.

I generally clip my babies early -- when they are still in the "go to sleep" stage -- and you wind up having to hold them up to clip them. They just seem to fall asleep while you're clipping. When they get a little older, they become more aware of the clippers and can be a little anxious. But go slow, keep momma close and she'll get used to it.

ROFL! There was a "go to sleep" phase???????????? How did I miss it? I spend several hours a day with this girl from day one.... OH! It must have been the 2 days I was at the wedding?
default_new_rofl.gif

She wore her halter in tonight with momma to learn the drill. Handled it just like everything else
default_488.gif
little uneasy when I went to take it off... but on is NO problem!

Latest posts

Back