N00b w/prego rescue mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, there you go
default_thumbup.gif
time and patience and she is coming round. So you missed the "sleepy" phase
default_new_rofl.gif
you have me in stitches every post
default_yes.gif

Try clipping or pretend clipping mum so she can see it is o.k and just do it in stages as Diane has said, even a few patches a day until she understands
default_yes.gif
I have always been able to clip the foals, even the wildest ones, it just takes a little longer so I have full faith in you
default_thumbup.gif

Thanks! I think the biggest problem is that if the butt ain't getting scratched she ain't standin' still. End of discussion!!!! I may need to hire on an official butt scratcher!

I totally missed the sleepy phase! The few times I have seen her sleep she is going full out, stops, the head bobs once and she is on her side these narcoleptic fits of foalhood last just long enough for me to find shoes, open the door and bolt to the pasture... by which point she is running a few laps to get her circulation going and then a sip from mom and back to playing!

I still think the was some high point rodeo horse in her last life and no one has broken it to her yet that she is a mini this time! I think she could do a lot of the rodeo events off of voice command... If I could only figure out the roping ones we might have a side show going... get a few goats another mini or two so there was some competition.... The horse shows may want to stick to their mini in had trail and mini in hand hunter but we could be entertainment for the lunch break!

I'm beginning to think you and Heidi are related.....you BOTH should have a warning on your thread to say ".....pee before you read....."

Sorry... slacking again and gabbing.... PICTURES...

IMG_6212.JPG Going to miss those baby blues
default_unsure.png

IMG_6184.JPG Break check!
default_xbud.gif

IMG_6176.JPG

IMG_6177.JPG

IMG_6162.JPG

Oops... forgot I had two memory cards going today... DOUBLE fix!

IMG_6142.JPG my second kissy spot (the other is the star on top of my head)

IMG_6130.JPG Grand dams favorite baby blues

IMG_6133.JPG I has teefs!
default_smile.png

And the clipping has begun... on with the goofy partially trimmed foal pics!

Lesson 1 all things are OK IF disguised as butt scratches

Lesson 2 need better clippers.

IMG_6223.JPG OMG are these those sleepies you speak of????

IMG_6229.JPG

IMG_6227.JPG

IMG_6226.JPG

IMG_6225.JPG Who thought giving YOU clippers was a good idea????

Oh how cute!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the sleepies! Mine would be standing there with me clipping and the head would start to drop, and the eyes close and pretty soon they'd be leaning on you and fall fast asleep with the clippers still working. I always had to have someone help hold them up so I could finish! Babies are such fun!!

Thanks! I just kept trying to start at the head seeing as that looked to be the norm but I guess we will have to back into things. Momma was helping out too. Mom would nuzzle her... push her to me... nuzzle... push.

Now I can't wait to get her all clipped and see how cute she is clipped!

slow progress... even after a good run Ms Topaz has the attention span of a gnat!

IMG_6240.JPG My butt... Scratch it!

IMG_6250.JPG Hair cuts is itchy!

IMG_6247.JPG

IMG_6271.JPG ZOOM!

IMG_6278.JPG Springs! I haz dem!

IMG_6252.JPG

please excuse the craptastic clip job so far... I have used clippers before but my targets were a tad more still! And I still need better clippers if I am going to body clip.

You are doing just FINE! It's hard to clip a moving target! She's looking good -- and can't wait to see her all "dolled-up" and sleek!

She is such a cutie. Sorry, I just 'liked' a load of your posts, catching up on all the goss
default_smile.png

Aww she just so cute, sassy too. Keep those pictures coming please.
default_yes.gif

someone forgot to put the bottoms of their jammies on today!! She looks super...I can feel your frustration with the clipping.Took me a week.... I finally get the last part clipped and the first part needs reclipping. Love the photos!!

LOL! Heidi that is EXACTLY what I am afraid of! and now they have sprayed nasties on my pasture so she will be in for at least the next 48hrs... Yeh, like I am going to get anything done with all that pent up spazz! Did try to trim up her back feet a bit today too. did not go as smooth as I would like. Glad it was me, someone she is familiar with, rather than the farrier as it had been planned. She was a little weirded out by the experience. Not spooked or anything just weirded out. I want to clean them up a bit more and even them up but over all I think I did more good than potential harm. Again that darn moving target thing! Hopefully we will be able to do a good run around in the arena after all the other humans leave and I might be able to get more done on her feet or the clipping. It is in the 80's here with nearly 100% humidity (storms on the way) and the poor little tyke is all sweaty. Oddly I can usually do more with her in the pasture than I can in the stall but that is not an option right now and it would take a heck of an extension cord for the clippers!

Momma is banging the crap out of the stall door. Ponies were not made for insides all the time! I wish I could hand graze momma with her but she just does not care to stay close enough to mom any more.

It's so hard to work when it's so hot.....I know. Try clipping her neck and chest -- that will cool her off the fastest....although she will look like she's wearing a muffler around her middle. But a neck/chest clip will help relieve some of the sweating.....except on you! LOL

Last edited:
So far the neck has been off limits to me but I will keep trying. If you look close you can see some patches in her neck where I got a bit before she trotted off ;)

OK, first I need to vent... Someone (I don't know) just came in my barn looked around and said "Oh, it's JUST minis" ... really wanted to put her in her place and tell her that my gaming mini could out time her big horse any day, out personality it too!

OK, now, if you have not already wet your pants and spewed your coffee it MIGHT be a good time to put them down...

Seeing as my pastures were just sprayed with nasty chemicals yesterday (without my consent) my horses are in. My BHs are having a bit of time on grass in the minis pasture because only the fence line was sprayed there unlike their pasture that was sprayed in several places and my BHs don't eat under the fence...

The little girls however will So... I let them play in the arena (shhhhh.... the arena is only for working in... sorry... bit snarky today).... ANYWAY... Ms. Charm finds a door that has not been latched and bolts for the green grasses of the outdoor isle way between pastures leaving poor Topaz in the dust! I figured it was mommas idea so lets see how it goes... Topaz did a little nickering and through a very full mouth of grass Charm nickered back but did NOT look back. Topaz came to my side negotiating for butt scratches. Well... this was all good for about 3 minutes and then Topaz starts calling for momma again who does not answer... I should mention that Topaz is a stress eater... SO... no answer from momma... the nose goes up my shorts, pushes through my unders and then a VERY shocked filly jumps back... You have NO teets!!!!!!!!!!! OMG
default_new_shocked.gif
She bolts kicking, bucking and rearing around the arena a bit, calls to momma, gets an answer and calms down. A few minutes later we are stressed again and looking for a snack. This time she finds the right spot but can't latch on. Now... seein as my mini has no bag my B cup feels about right but where on earth is that nipple??? OMG I am laughing too hard to do anything for the poor tyke!!! When I composed myself I was able to give butt scratches and all was right with the world again. Momma got about 15min of grazing while grand dam confused the baby. Momma then came in the barn where my son put her halter on and brought her back to the arena where baby was FINALLY able to get a snack. I am thinking she was wishing there was more than just milk in there this time!!
default_eat.gif

I have Oober cute pics from when momma was still in there with her but my uploads keep failing
default_sad.png

OMG
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of anything at the moment. I was reading and picturing the whole thing. What a hoot!

Latest posts

Back