N00b w/prego rescue mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so where are the pics of the new herd member? You know we ALWAYS want to see your girls
default_smile.png

Ginger is not new (I wish we had picked up one of the new play mates!!!!) Ms Ginger belongs to the property owner. She is the other true pony of the bunch and too old to really care about anything. The other "pony" is 13.3hh and built like a hummer. She was out with Charm while Charm was pregnant and OK but is showing signs of aggression towards Charm with the baby. Jazz would make an awesome mommy but the vet said her cervix is too small to breed her safely and she isn't papered or anything anyway... but I think that is where the problem is.

So.... Pics of Topaz and Hanibal Lecter horse....

IMG_6460.JPG

IMG_6468.JPG

IMG_6469.JPG This was the closest I saw mom most of the day unless Topaz went to nurse!

IMG_6387.JPG This would be the two legged child at camp and very excited at the opportunity to get mom.

Got some more clipping done today and got to practice wearing our halter. Again, I really do not like that it is a rope halter but I have not been able to find anything small enough to fit her so I had to make one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you google "Star Lake Tack" -- I've purchased many a mini halter from there (as well as many other things) and I think they have a good "bang for the buck" in most everything. You can get reasonable items -- or spend to your heart's desire! But, I still have halters I purchased from there years and years ago!

So sad. the other mare I was considering has come back up for sale. She lost the foal, her third lost baby in as many years. I SO want to just go pick her up and love on her and show her the pampered life without the risk of more pregnancies (they are disclosing the three lost foals but saying their 30" stud is too big for her and selling as a broodmare). Breaks my heart. they have dropped her price but what I need is another baby for weaning not a brood mare.
default_crybaby.gif

Well, a 30" stud is not to big for any mini -- unless she's only 24" tall. But there are so many factors that can cause a loss -- many of which are due to poor ownership and care during pregnancy and/or delivery. Hard to know unless they are saying what caused the loss.

Keep looking -- you'll find the perfect girl!

Yes, I am sure I will find just the right answer... I am truly not that picky so it shouldn't be hard! LOL! I just see all these sad minis and want to bring them home. I need to start a mini rescue/retirement center.

When we get closer to the right time I will start going to the auctions around here. horses are selling for less than hay most weeks IF they get a bid. I don't care if it is pet quality, show quality or has some health issues as long as it has personality and the price fits the mini.

Anyway.... more recent pics... I posted over in the regular forum but I think they underestimate my level of ignorance... Would like input on her confirmation and what is going on with color??? she looks like I took RIT dye to her butt trying to get a black mini!!!

IMG_6548.JPG

IMG_6556.JPG

IMG_6787.JPG I get the dun stripe and she may have the bars on her shoulders (at least one side seems to) but she does not seem to have the points on her ears.

IMG_6539.JPG

IMG_6540.JPG I think I am seeing 4 white stockings?

Someone did comment that the huge snip was the splash coming through. Oh, and so you don't have to go flipping through 40 pgs of posts...
Momma: red dun roan

Dad: DARK bay (I thought he was non-fading black when I saw him.) splash overo.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say a red (or sorrel/chestnut) dun splash, with a sooty gene. And if all her hooves are black, then I will imagine there will be no white stockings. But I'm really thinking she's showing a sooty gene for sure.

OH YAY!!!! I was SO hoping that was what that was!!!
default_new_multi.gif
:HappyBounce
default_new_multi.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
:SoHappy
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
(oops... Sooty gene). The black bum was what was really throwing me. pretty sure on the red and dun but then that bum!!!

Her hooves confuse me! I think they are growing in dark but just when I get convinced of that they get all light again o_O or my eyes are going buggy from staring at her ALL the time. Nope, no liking my horses here... just animals... yup....
default_new_rofl.gif

Thanks!

Yes, but not much!!! She's is simply beautiful!!!

I see what you mean about the white and the hooves. It looks like there may be a couple of socks there! Hmmmm....we'll have to wait and see!

Well... That gives me time to figure out her papered name while she figures out what color she is! Looks like the color line on her papers might be rather full!

She was just the cutest little lover baby last night. She was tired (fall asleep in the feed dish tired) and all about nose kisses!

Charm is really getting into her now too. When she was born Charm was pretty much "there is the milk bar kid, eat". Now there are snuggles, neck hugs and mutual nuzzles.

OK ladies, in all seriousness I think I am in trouble here. I never liked Minis, thought they were a waste of horse, had my one fat red QH and was content. These little mini beggers are addictive! I'm thinkin' I need some land and start up funds for a mini rescue. I had been playing with the idea of a horse rescue for a while but I am really thinking of just minis now.

Most of the big horses are off to a show today which means their two legged counterparts are busy! I am going to get me some quiet time with a filly!

ENJOY!!! And yes, they are VERY ADDICTIVE! But, it's one addiction that won't get you in TOO much trouble!!

Latest posts

Back