My new puppy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boinky

Reaction score
Well i bought myself a new puppy...!! Merry Christmas to me! I hadn't planned to get him ... He came from the breeder of my current stud dog (not same lines though) and I had a litter of my own comming so didn't even THINK about buying one, not to mention the breeder is in Idaho and i'm in Maine so added cost of shipping. Unfortunatly my bitch had a false pregnancy. Oncei found out that mine wasn't truly pregnant I was talking to the breeder and she said she was going to have both of her girls fixed as soon as this litter left, that she didn't want to breed anymore. Well i had wanted a pup from this bitch for about 3 years now and had just been WAITING for her to breed her and was dissapointed she did it when i was going to have a litter of my own and planned to keep a pup (NOW WAY was i going to raise two pups at once..been there done that...not doing that again!! lol) not to mention i was dead broke to buy one. SOOOOO anyways. come 8 weeks old and she hadn't sold any, we got to talking and she was willing to work out a deal with me so i could get one!

Anyhow... here he is... No name yet... but he's really a very good puppy! he's pretty clean in the house only has a couple accidents here and there and he's very mellow.. he LOVES to cuddle..i've never had a pup that will get up in your arms and just snuggle in and sit there for long periods of time! I thought when she told me he liked to snuggle it would be for a few seconds then be off again like most pups..but NOPE he likes to snuggle for anyplace from 5 minutes to an hour!! he's so sweet and well mannered!

He's from some very good strong herding lines sire is Chakulas Jinglebob Spur OTDcds X Cut'n Loose Texas Tornado STDcs OTDd. We are very excited about him
default_smile.png

14_seth4.JPG

14_seth6.JPG

14_seth11.JPG

14_seth8.JPG

14_seth9.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks like a doll. Is he a Mini Aussie or Standard Aussie? We love our Aussie. Our dog, Molly, is very neurotic though, she is afraid of the horses, the cat, etc, etc. She protects the house & yard she is an outside/inside dog. I think as she is aging, she is much more inclined to like being inside & she thinks she is a lap dog.

I love snuggly dogs. How fun for you, congrats! :bgrin

We breed and show AKC standard Australian Shepherds. We love them. Have a year old boy that has been doing great on the show circuit winning against some of his older competition. One of our girls is being bred right now to an outside stud dog and we hope to get a nice merle female off of the litter to start showing. The boy we are showing now is a black tri. Your boy is very pretty. Congrats on your new addition!!!!!

Josh

Oh man
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: He just couldn't be any cuter than he is!!! I love his confident expression, too. He's going to be an awesome dog!!!!!!!

Isn't he CUTE!!
default_wub.png
: Congrats on your new snuggle bug! He looks like a MAX to me.

Cute cute CUTE!!! I'll bet he's a little pistol! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
What a DOLL!! I don't know why everyone doesn't want an aussie, mine is great! Seeing your baby's pictures made me remember when she used to lay down like that on her belly with her legs out straight behind her. My husband called it the 'broken chicken' pose! I have no idea where that came from!

Jayne and Carly the aussie!

Just wait, he'll be a holy terror soon enough!!!

Our Aussie has FINALLY stopped chewing up anything and everything, and finally stopped nipping- now I just wish I didn't have her nose practically in my back pocket every time I get up to do something
default_wacko.png
:

She's still too much puppy for this household, sadly. Especially since the dogs refuse to go off the porch and play when it's wet (even frosty)... and we live in Oregon!! LOL

Anyone have advice on how to handle the herding instinct? Harmony has it in spades, but has nothing to herd- thus, we had to break her of nipping our heels! She still nips Muttly's heels, and goes after the cats, and I'm afraid she'll go after Nathan soon. She's sort of tried once or twice and been yelled at for it- and Nathan doesn't really get running fast enough to get her going, yet. She does curl up by him alot, though...

She's a sweetheart, but she needs someone with more time and all... I wish my mother would realize that -.-

What a cute puppy! So many this time of year out there, but this guy is a keeper. What a pretty color too. We have an aussie cross, what a wonderful dog. The only thing he does that kind of freaked me out at first is that he smiles when he is really happy and excited, literally lifts his lips. It was a little scary at first! ;) Is this an aussie trait?

He's a "standard" aussie. I'm very happy with him. Overall his conformation is pretty good especially for as heavily working bred as he is. I don't nessarily breed for showing in the breed ring but conformation is a big thing for me and I tend to stick with working lines or outcross with some minimal show lines for the conformation/versatility aspect but his lines are really nice and should cross nicely on the lines I already have..LOL if you can't tell i'm very excited about him.

Your right..this time of year there are LOTS of puppies out there unfortunatly. I wish everyone would do homework and buy from REPUTABLE breeders that do health certs ect and refuse to buy from those that don't. it would help force some of the bad breeders out..... but unfortunatly you can't convince people of that...UNLESS they themselves get screwed with a defective pup.

Rainsong

As for herding instinct..it can be tuff to work with ... what is your dogs lines? some are more agressive with it than others. Mine aren't really nippy that way but i think they WOULD be if i allowed it. Mine are a bit fond of harrassing my horses or sheep if they sneak in the pasture. I've really had to crack down on them about it and they will get better! i would NOT ALLOW it in any way..if just yelling/scolding the dog doens't work.. take a newspaper and go after it! Really make it think it's life is going to come to an end if it doesn't do as YOU THE ALPHA dog asks. it needs to learn that's not acceptable. it will only get worse if you allow it to. do you have other dogs? do they tend to get involved in this?? I've found that the pack instinct kicks in and gets them going even more. and i've found when they have behavoir like this it's not usually because they are being agressive but "herding". if you have other dogs getting involved..separate those dogs when your out with them or around stock for a while!

Josh,

Do you have a web page with your aussies on it? I'd love to see them. I have a female that was from my very first litter that is just very outstanding. Unfortunatly i'm not very good with the whole show aspect. I've tried showing her myself a couple of times and someone else showed her a couple times as a puppy and she did pretty well showing against some very tuff competition. I wish i could find a handler that would show her for me!

Lovinarabs...

Now that's not a typical aussie trait that i've noticed... but each dog tends to have their own quirks. My vet told he he know's of certain breeds or certain bloodlines of dogst hat that's quite common with though!

Seeing your baby's pictures made me remember when she used to lay down like that on her belly with her legs out straight behind her. My husband called it the 'broken chicken' pose! I have no idea where that came from!

Jayne and Carly the aussie!
We call it "Frog Dog", don't know why. My Aussie did that all the time as a young dog; now that she's almost 11 years old she doesn't do it too often.

yep we call it "frog dog" here as well.. i think it's cuz it looks like how frogs look when they are resting or swimming..LOL

Boinky,

We don't have a web site for the dogs yet, we only have one for the horses but we are hoping to add the dogs to it after the first of the year. Competetion is tough and it is a lot of grooming and preperation to keep them up. I have a handler that shows for me but I do most of the grooming and preperation myself.

Josh

Back