My little Pony has come a long way!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's that time of year again, big net time!
Feeding a round bale freely equals tons of waste & horses chewing holes in the net. They also never, ever move.
They're on a track, there's different greens available to them out there. They can forage in between hay feedings & keep their fat legs moving.
20220704_143936.jpg20220704_144015.jpg20220704_144100.jpg20220704_144125.jpg20220704_144915.jpg20220704_144917.jpg20220704_144921.jpg20220704_144924.jpg

With a saddle today.
Dug out the old nylon headstall to get noseband to be a bit higher & to make putting it on easier on the ears.

They're so fat...idk where they're finding the green, when they're always begging for hay! 🤔

Forgot to put the reins back on. Luckily, I found some old twine to use!
Screenshot_20220813-213120_Video Player.jpg

He's not brave, following a person.
Screenshot_20220813-213056_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20220813-213202_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20220813-213222_Video Player.jpg

Is he finally brave?!
Screenshot_20220813-213327_Video Player.jpg

Nope! The "Tugboats" are leading the way! Though, they think that they're being driven by us. Lol
Screenshot_20220813-212612_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20220813-212727_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20220813-212743_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20220813-212805_Video Player.jpg

Messed with one of the headstalls again to get a better fit.
Ponies with weird heads... 🤦🏽‍♀️
Think I got pretty close to what I sketched up!

Before, nylon & leather headstalls.
Nylon browband too short, leather the cheekpieces too long.
Video Collage Maker_nPyqSw.png

The idea on left, final outcome on right.
Throatlatch will be loosened.
Video Collage Maker_dY0XSZ.png

Didn't post videos of the other rides, since they took forever!! And tons of stops, just absurdly so. Plus a lot of crop use last ride.

But today...We were brave!

We walked AWAY from everyone and left them BEHIND! 🤯

Then walked down the hill I don't like riding Dunie on, because he's a klutz! But Phoenix did great.

Nice stop and then back the way we came. It was a bit funny that he didn't want to go home to the others!

And an excellent stop once back. I drop reins for stop. And if I adjust his saddle, because he's too fat currently, and if I get too off balance, he stops. Which I think is a great/nice thing for a horse to do. Dunie also did that.

So, decided to post it. Hope the next ride will be even smoother! 🤞

Didn't post videos of the other rides, since they took forever!! And tons of stops, just absurdly so. Plus a lot of crop use last ride.

But today...We were brave!

We walked AWAY from everyone and left them BEHIND! 🤯

Then walked down the hill I don't like riding Dunie on, because he's a klutz! But Phoenix did great.

Nice stop and then back the way we came. It was a bit funny that he didn't want to go home to the others!

And an excellent stop once back. I drop reins for stop. And if I adjust his saddle, because he's too fat currently, and if I get too off balance, he stops. Which I think is a great/nice thing for a horse to do. Dunie also did that.

So, decided to post it. Hope the next ride will be even smoother! 🤞

That was quite a ride with no complaints.👍:) How long was it?

That was quite a ride with no complaints.👍:) How long was it?

First one took 12min. It was from the bottom of the hill, up to shelter.

This latest ride was from creek runoff, 80ft from shelter, down the hill and back all the way to shelter. Roughly double the distance in just 9min. Didn't remember to record until the gate.

First one took 12min. It was from the bottom of the hill, up to shelter.

This latest ride was from creek runoff, 80ft from shelter, down the hill and back all the way to shelter. Roughly double the distance in just 9min. Didn't remember to record until the gate.
Why the big improvement?

Alrighty then!
Got chucked because of, get this, the freaking barn cat sat in the path!!!!
Yes, he quickly stopped & came back to see his handiwork. Lol
Worst fall thus far, nearly passed out several times. Ended up in urgent care, then ER for xrays. Did you know they don't show them to you?? Anyway, badly battered, pulled muscles, tendons & a bit of mashed nerves, but otherwise in one piece!
I've decided to restart the younger gelding, with a bit, from the ground up. This time, focusing seriously on respect & complying more quickly.
Ordered him a new bit, as my 5" is too big for him. Should arrive in a few days.
Session 3 so far & he's improving. He ~hates~ the bit, but seems more responsive & understanding what's being asked much better.

His tail is in the way, though. I'll have to braid it & fold it up short to stop it yanking the long lines out of my hands. Lol
20220915_212836.gif20220915_212617.gif20220915_212542.gif20220915_212518.gif

Good grief, secuono! So sorry to read of that experience! You must feel miserable but hopefully not for long!

You have a good training plan in place and cannot go wrong with more ground work. Earlier this summer, I was going to put my driving pony back to work after a few year hiatus, with a quick ground refresher. Here we are in September and we’re still ground driving! 😂

Partly because I am just enjoying refining communication through patterns and walks! :)

Take care!

Oh no!! That was terrifying. How are you now? Glad to see your adorable horses to the rescue though.

Latest posts

Back