Minis and Sledding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knighthawke

Reaction score
Anyone out there with minis that go out in the winter with a sleigh.

How much harder is it for the mini to pull a sleigh vs a cart. (Frontier Easy Entry)

How long would you allow them to pull a sleigh if they are only used to pulling a cart with wheels?

What is the best amount of snow to pull in??

Any if would be great as I have only done it a few times.

566233_10200445858374123_72385818_n.jpg

Do you mean a real sleigh, or a plastic sled like several of us have used? You might have better luck with this question on the driving forum.

snow has to be deep enough that the sleigh blades don't cut through to the ground , but not so deep that the horse had trouble going through it 4-6 inches is pretty good- cold crusty is good for the sleigh.

How long really depends. The biggest problem is being able to "cool off" the horse when you are done. They can get sweaty fairly quick. they probably Will get sweaty before they get tired. If they get tired you know it. Just find a way to cool him down appropriately so he doesn't get sick.

Have always wondered about skijoring with a mini myself, several folks at work use their dogs....just wonder about emergency stops!!
default_smile.png

Not much help here.......We had sled runners on our regular easy entry cart and would hook up our gelding, Rider, when there was enough snow...... He LOVED it. The most he'd pull would be an adult with two small kids.

Thanks for the input. Yes it is a a easy entry cart with sled runners. I am having a blast. I actually took my 4 x 4 kawaski mule and ran around the arena and packed it down and he goes well on it with no problems. I usually only go for 20 minutes at most with walk and some trot and he doesnt seem to even break a sweat.

Latest posts

Back