Mini poll....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pony
default_wub.png
: miniature
default_wub.png
: small horse
default_wub.png
: small pony horse
default_wub.png
: mini
default_wub.png
: registered tiny pony
default_wub.png
: small driving pony
default_wub.png
:

Too many more important things to worry about

I agree with EVERYTHING that's already been said! :aktion033:

And the reason Shetlands got a bad rep in the past....was because they were used as "babysitters" for small children. Even if they DID have prior training....they were given to unsupervised children to "ride & play with". The small children usually had very little...or NO training on how to ride or treat horses, and would jump on the poor little things, kick their sides with their heels, yank on the reins, jerk them around, run them to death in the heat & just basically abuse them. :xreiter: :deadhorse2: :no: I'd be "mean & cantankerous" after that too! :ugh:

Well, since mine have shetlands in their background I think getting upset at people for calling them ponies is silly. In fact I call them ponies all the time myself. If the were 18hh I'd still call them ponies, every equine I have ever had has been called a pony by myself and the people around me. No biggie. If someone I don;t know calls them a pony I do say, "They are registered American Miniature Horses." and I leave it at that.

One of the very few things non-horse people are told is that an equine over a certain height is a horse and under a certain height is a pony. So it seems logical to me that non-horse people would call my mini's ponies. Since I love ponies I do not consider that an insult at all. My nickname for the last 25 years has been Pony, when people say, "Have you seen Pony's ponies? They are so CUTE!" It warms my heart.

I would like to say that some time ago I called my mini a pony and someone created a hotmail account just to send me nasty emails about it. For quite some time I had someone stalking me because I called my mini a pony. I am dead serious. Some of the emails were astoundingly threatening and insulting. Which I found to be incredibly hilarious and I thank them for giving me so many laughs. They said, "As long as people like you call them ponies the horse industry at large will never take us seriously."
default_rolleyes.gif
: To which I say "Bullpucky". How the rest of the horse industry views miniature horses depends a lot more on how what we are breeding for and what we do with them than it does on what we call them. besides, I couldn;t give two flying flips about what the "rest of the horse industry" thinks of "us". I'm just happy that this person has such a wonderful life that they can take time out of their day to berate and belittle a complete stranger over an issue like this. They must live in a wonderful world if this is the most serious thing they can find to stalk someone about. :bgrin

Doesn't bother me and never has. They are, technically, ponies, and the majority of (if not all of) their ancestry is pony.

Liz M.

If someone compliments my 'ponies' I am sure to tell them thank you. I find it is usually because they just dont know and are curious, and then I tell them they are registered Minis (as many times they ask just exactly what they are) and educate them a bit on various pony breeds and how wonderful they all are.

Folks who get upset need to get real- WHERE do they think the Minis came from? LOL How many famous Shetland lines are up close in many of the top Minis today?? On top of who knows what else?

I agree, if it's used in a derogitory term, then the person is just being on the mean side or making fun of them, but I know a LOT of big horse people who laughed at many things over the years (Oh crap, I am one of those!!) who are completely converted to Minis now!! Or at least have both and think just as highly of the wee ones as the larger cousins!!

I love them ALL!!
default_wub.png
: :bgrin

I think many more people have seen ponies than miniatures, so although yes it bothers me I just remind them they are horses and let it go..people usually mean well after all

Maxine

Used to bother my hubby, not me, but I explain a Pony usually is bigger for riding over 14.2 hands.

These little guys used to be used in the coal mines, and can be registered as a miniature horse under 38".

Their is a registry for 38" and under and Association for only 34" and under. can be registered both.

Shetlands and a dwarf is in some of their background in years before, we just keep trying to get the perfect horse in a smaller version.
default_wub.png
:

Now, they can do just about anything, jump, obstacles, driving and the larger heavy or built ones, can take a very small child on their backs for walk around the yard.

Just the way we usually try to explain ! explain ! explain ! .... :eek:

Not at all. I was raised in 4-H and continue to show in ADS events where anything under 14.2h is considered a pony and it has NOTHING to do with body-type, temperment, or anything else. For another thing, I've never understood why "pony" is a derogatory term. I had a Shetland growing up and she was the sweetest, most loving, wonderful little kids horse imaginable. Perfect Arabian head, good legs, solid body, she was just wonderful! And some of those American Sport Ponies they are breeding these days look like little Thoroughbreds just as much as Modern Shetlands resemble Hackneys or Saddlebreds. I think you'd really be pushing it to say they are something to be ashamed of resembling.

I guess I just don't understand getting rabidly upset over a word. For Pete's sake, it's a word! :new_shocked: :no: It only has as much power as you give it and a lot of the rest of the world (correctly, in my opinion) thinks mini people are more than a bit ridiculous for freaking out over "pony" like it's an insult. Heck, I think if I raised ponies I'd be insulted. The clear implication is that ponies suck.

Leia

Edited to add: Just read the other posts and I think that's a great distinction! "'Pony' is a blanket term for a size of equine, there are pony breeds like Shetland or Welsh that are registered by bloodline, and "miniature horse" refers to any animal under 38 or 34" regardless of bloodline who is registered with AMHR/A." :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope , doesn't bother me a bit ... I refer to my favorite gelding as my "sexy pony" all the time .

Or any other mini breed association.... my guy is a miniature horse (PONY!!!) registered with the Pinto Horse Association... he's still a mini, even though he's not registered with either of the "true" mini associations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it always bothers me and I usually correct people. I know TECHNICALLY (from taking animal science classes in college) that they ARE "ponies" since a pony is TECHNICALLY under so much in weight and height. HOWEVER, there is a difference because when I asked my professor about this very issue he said that it is up to the association/registry as to what their called. THEREFORE, our associations/registries call them HORSES so they ARE IN FACT horses.

Doesn't bother me a bit. Miniature Horses ARE ponies.

Doesn't upset me at all. Because miniature horses "are" Shetland ponies..just refined over the years. Calling them "miniature" horses was a great..marketing ploy..that has worked wonders. :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:

I have Icelandic's too... and in Iceland there is no word for pony. Though those here in the USA call them Ponies. I honestly do not care one way or another..just don't call them a pony in front of an Icelander.

In fact all the equines I have had on my farm over the years..would be classified as ponies.

My Deceased Stallion Rope had some of the Finest Shetland Ancesters and I was so Proud to have them in his Pedigree! Hashs Golden Comet, My Golden Toy, realization and many others I just wish all minis had there Shetland Ancesters in their Pedigrees instead of Having unknown!

Nope, doesn't bother me either. I call my "big" horses ponies and my minis "pixies" or "pixie ponies". :bgrin It really confuses people! (Sometimes I tell them my minis are dogs--with a totally straight face. Really freaks people out. :new_rofl: )

Latest posts

Back