Mini poll....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the time I will correct people around here and state they are reg. miniature horses. When most people think about ponies here they are thinking only of the aforementioned "ornerony, biting , stubburn, etc" $50.00 local auction barn variety only. There are few show type shetland around here so most people do not get to see them to know anything different. On the other end of the scale there are a few Haflinger breeders and Hackney people that take offense at having minis included with "ponies". A few years ago I met a couple that owned Hackneys. They said thier ponies were too "hot" for grandkids but bought them a mini to use. Same people also said they would never buy a shetland. Some people?

Mark

WOW warpony, I wonder if you will go down in history for being stalked, harrassed and receiving hate mail for calling a Mini a pony?!! :lol: Yep, we used to have 'cowponies' too!! Funny, none were under 14.2!

Good grief, there is more to life than a technicality in a name, and certainly nothing to wig out over.

Hmmmm, would you get upset over someone calling your elephant a pachyderm, or your camel a dromedary or a bactrian? (I guess only if they called your two humped one a dromedary)

WOW warpony, I wonder if you will go down in history for being stalked, harrassed and receiving hate mail for calling a Mini a pony?!! :lol:

It's possible. I still find it extremely funny. For a while at another forum I go to I made a point to use the word "pony" at least three times in each post just to get them riled up. I think they got bored, though, because I haven't heard from them in a long time. Shame, really, because I found them very funny.

It does bother me, but I do correct them and tell them that they are reg. minis.

I know that they are ponys, I don't deny that. I just clear the muddy water saying what type of animal it is...

Like a APHA paint is a pinto... But you could call it a PtHA pinto and a reg. APHA paint breeder may fine that rude.... Why? Because it takes more time and effort and money to have nice pure breeding stock compaired to grade pintos... (Although the grade horses might be nicer :bgrin )

Also when we say pony here, everyone jumps to shetlands... Shetlands are just one pony breed! :bgrin What about Welsh, hackney or road ponys? PONY = height... But there are many types and breeds of ponys.

Another thing... Which is where I think all of this REALLY starts... Shetland vs. Miniatures.......

I don't like people calling MY minis shetlands... Why? Because I think most ASPC Shetlands are BETTER than my minis and I want shetlands to get a good rep... Shetlands often have better conformation, movement and beauty... I don't think they should be compaired to minis... They have different requirements...

They are both ponys and both small but..... lol THEY are two different breeds, and should be treated as such
default_smile.png
AMHR/ASPC horses are the only exception, IMO :bgrin AMHR/ASPC horses are just small shetlands with another set of paper.

All horses are the same and different in many ways... It just depends on where YOU want to draw the line.

Hmm... none of the paint owners I know mind if you call their horses pintos. Most in fact are double registered Paint/Pinto. Its one of those "all paints are pintos, but not all pintos are paints" things. Same with ponies. My mini is a very happy pony, and I'm the first to call him pony when I greet him every night.

Latest posts

Back