Mini Fun Show Ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PromiseAcres

Reaction score
Hello!

My local mini horse club (Hoosierland Miniature Horse Club) is going to be putting on a mini fun show this July and they've put me in charge of the classes. I have done a lot with 4H and open fun shows but this will be for minis only. We want to keep it all in good fun. So I'm asking for any input about what types of classes people would like at a fun show. I'd like to allow anyone with a mini (or borrowed mini) that can participate.

Here are some classes we've have thought of:

Barrels (in cart)

Barrels (line driving???)

Catalog race

A silly showmanship class

Obstacle

Jumping

Dinner bell (I believe this is where you have several mares and foals in a pen and whoevers foal nurses first wins)

Thanks for the input

Danielle

We have I forget what it is called a page race maybe? Everyone starts at the same place has to run to phone books at the other end of the arena and come back with a certain page fastest wins

Our Utah AMHA club and AMHR club combined forces this year to put on a fun show (and to hopefully bring in more outside interest to the little guys). Our class list is on the website: http://imhc-club.org. Its on the 25th. We have musical chairs also. Going to be lots of fun!
default_laugh.png

Our Utah AMHA club and AMHR club combined forces this year to put on a fun show (and to hopefully bring in more outside interest to the little guys). Our class list is on the website: http://imhc-club.org. Its on the 25th. We have musical chairs also. Going to be lots of fun!
default_laugh.png

It looks like fun. I like that you'll have horses to borrow. Are you paying a judge?

Danielle

I am pulling together a fun show for our club as well but it will be a fuzzy fun show early next May I have been gathering suggestions for awhile now

Instead of regular halter classes some things mentioned have been

award for fattest horse

award for dirtiest horse

longest tail

longest mane and forelock

highest stepping horse or most laid back horse

Longest whiskers

horse who looks most like its handler or the handler who looks most like their horse

musical chairs with horse on lead

spoon race with egg in spoon through a set of obstacles

Hands free obstacle

relay race for many handlers and 2-3 horses again around obstacles This was suggested to get kids and oldsters to form teams and help club members get to know each other. 3 handlers one horse per team.

egg race with egg buried in horses hair on rump if the egg is dropped must go back and start over

Havent heard any thing for a take on jumping or hunter but am sure they will come up with something soon

I am hoping this will be purely a fun show and getting to know you event.

The most recent suggestion was for a dress up liberty class combining costurme with liberty handler dressed up horse at liberty..

I know I have many more suggestions in my notebook but thats it for now. Oh and no show clothes just comfy clothes for horse and handler. I hope this might help if you need more just PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Musical chairs with horses is hysterical.
default_laugh.png
Especially when the horse decides they want NO part of the chairs!

Another one I've seen is the dress up race (or something like that) where you have a team of people + 1 pony on one end of the ring, and an assortment of garments on the other end. It's a relay race- each teammate has to take their "model" up to the pile and "dress them", then race back, wash rinse repeat until the pony is wearing 1 head item (antlers, hats, bunny ears, you get the idea), one body item (jacket, shirt, blanket, cooler, something) and one leg item (boots, bells, leg warmers, shipping boots) So the person who goes first usually has the easiest time, and the person who goes last is stuck dragging some poor confused dressed-up pony around. Infinite possibilities there!

I think the best one I saw was a pink maribu feather boa with sparklies (obviously from some little girl's dress-up supplies) and the horse clearly was not into pink. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh what fun! Here we do

obstacle in hand

Sweepstakes obstacle driving ( timed event, certian number of points per obstacle, can chose which obstacles to do and may repeat obstacles if your time is not up)

barrels in hand

pole bending in hand

jumping

costume class

musical buckets (easier then carrying chairs around and safer!)

Simon says

Hello!
My local mini horse club (Hoosierland Miniature Horse Club) is going to be putting on a mini fun show this July and they've put me in charge of the classes. I have done a lot with 4H and open fun shows but this will be for minis only. We want to keep it all in good fun. So I'm asking for any input about what types of classes people would like at a fun show. I'd like to allow anyone with a mini (or borrowed mini) that can participate.

Here are some classes we've have thought of:

Barrels (in cart)

Barrels (line driving???)

Catalog race

A silly showmanship class

Obstacle

Jumping

Dinner bell (I believe this is where you have several mares and foals in a pen and whoevers foal nurses first wins)

Thanks for the input

Danielle
Danielle,

That sounds like fun. I am in Southern Indiana and would love to come up for something like this! How do we get more information on your club?

Carrie

Carrie,

you can email me at [email protected] and I'll try to keep you informed. I can also get you our secretary's info. We're a new club and AMHA reconized. This show will be to get our feet wet in putting on a show and get our name out there. Most of our meetings are around Warsaw, IN. We'll have another on in May. We'll also be at the Prestige Auction in Shipshewana selling baked goods.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions

Danielle

Promise Acres: Our show is strictly volunteer. We got the arena at a super price! So the 2 clubs are splitting costs there. We have our own AMHR judge & AMHR steward who volunteered to judge for free. Its not a sanctioned show, just a fun show. Other members are volunteering in other areas (I'm doing obstacles/jumps), announcing. Ribbons were donated (they are recycled ribbons left over from past shows). Pot luck lunch. Just anything to keep costs down and keep it a fun show for everyone to learn.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back