Fun personal Q's about your journey with Minis!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
How many mini's do you have?

How did you get into mini's?

Do you show your mini's?

What classes to you enjoy most?

Do you drive your mini's?

Do you just keep mini's for personal backyard interests?

Do you breed your mini's?

Favorite memory with a special mini or mini's in general?

Feel free to share pictures!

This is just for fun to get to know some of you since I'm so new to the forum :D

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was a spur of the moment decision! We had riding horses and we saw this little pony/mini for sale a stable we had visited and just couldnt resist!

Is your mini registered, grade or a cross bred?

Grade/crossbred, Mini/Shetland I believe...

Do you show your mini's?

Not yet, she isnt reg, but I may take her to some local horse shows to participate in halter/showmanship for fun!

Not sure yet.

No but she is green broke to drive, I just need to learn ;)

Mostly

No

Nico was such a ham as a youngin. She always had this little poof of filly becoming a mare tuft between her ears. She would gallop around with the horses and no idea she was the littlest. Every summer Nico and I take walks out back on the trails and visit family. Shes just a joy to spend time with.

Hmm, I would but it says my photo extension isnt allowed on the forum? I use Photobucket. What should I be using?

How many mini's do you have?:

Seven

How did you get into mini's?:

Parents bought me a herd of eight minis made up of a seasoned stud, two young stallions, and five mares.

Do you show your mini's?:

Yes

What classes to you enjoy most?:

Showmanship

Do you drive your mini's?:

Not yet! My goal this year!

Do you just keep mini's for personal backyard interests?:

We used to.

Do you breed your mini's?:

Used to. After fourteen foals we had our last in 2011.

Favorite memory with a special mini or mini's in general?:

Foaling and raising the babies myself. I have learned a lot and have some very well mannered youngsters as a result.

Btw, I am 17 (18 in July!) and will be going to college for Equine Management and later to a horseshoeing school in Kentucky or Missouri so that I can become an AFA certified farrier!
default_smile.png

Five total. One stallion, Four mares. I used to own ten.

Seeking a companion for a 40 yr. old pony I once owned.

Do you show your mini's?

Nope.

N/A

Nope.

Yep! I come from a large horse background and still own one biggie. They are my pets.

I have in the past had two foals at home. I haven't bred anybody since 2004.

Their individual personalities.. My favorite memory / mini would be my MacGyver (RIP) purchased as a weanling the day after my 40 yr. old pony was put down. Was meant to buy his brother, Paladin (still resides here) and ended up with both. MacGyver's personality was just that of Samson's and I couldn't resist as he followed me to the trailer with the same kind look in his eye as Sam. Sam wasn't a mini, rather a medium size pony my parents bought for me when I was 12.. I lovingly refer to him as my soul mate.

I own 2. But between my grandmother, cousin, and I we have 9 (they're all at the same place)

Always loved them, went to a show with my grandmother and fell more in love by the end of the week we had our first.

(we're not known for our patience) and well, the rest is history haha.

Do you show your mini's?

Yes!

Halter and in hand obstacle.

Not yet but next year when my boy is three I will!

Well I guess not since we show but even if we didn't we would still have them. They are such a joy to have.

We bred 2 mares this year. The other 2 are most likely in foal but not planned/by choice. (they came to us that way)

All memories shared with my horses are my favorite
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

13 miniature horses, 3 miniature donkeys

Had a bad riding accident 10 years ago, gave up riding but still wanted to have fun with horses.. Ended up buying a little mare, her current year foal, a buckskin stud and the mare was in foal for the next spring in a package. Needless to say got hooked
default_smile.png

Do you show your mini's?

Not yet, but do hope so if time/money and work allow.

Not sure, but love watching performance (liberty, driving and jumping)

Not yet, but again hope so soon. Have the cart, harness, just need to do some more ground work
default_smile.png

Yes and no, we have our pets and then we have our breeding stock.

Yes, we have 4 miniature horse foals and 2 miniature donkeys due this spring.

Oh I have soooo many! lol My absolute favorites of course are from foaling seasons, I just love being there when the little one is born and watching the bond between mom and baby.. And then there's of course the time I got my dream boy, our main herdsire Oak Parks Oh Im Awesome.
default_wub.png

Feel free to share pictures! You can find photos on our website: www.luckycacres.com or look up Lucky C Acres Miniatures on facebook for even more info/photos

When I was a kid, I boarded with a woman who's best friend bred and showed Mini's. We would visit her farm often and I fell in love with these little guys.

Do you show your mini's?

I show one of them.

Halter so far.

I used to drive a gelding I owned a long time ago. It is in my future though with my stallion.

Yes and no.

No not at this time.

Lots of great memories of showing with my stallion. He's a blast to show. Lot's of good memories of driving my old gelding down country roads with my friend driving her gelding next to me. We would have great fun having Mini cart races on the dirt roads.

5 at my place, 1 co-ownership, 1 out on lifetime lease.

I wanted a companion for 32 year old QH mare, but didn't want to get another full-size horse. I bought one weanling filly, and later that year I lost my QH mare. Bought a few more by the following year and started breeding, I've had as many as 12 a few years ago. I cut back because of large vet bills and the economy.

Do you show your mini's?

No, I don't have a lot of time to travel to shows.

I think if I did show it would be in performance classes.

I have one mare green broke to drive a few years ago, and my goal this year is to get her back in harness. It was my goal last year too...time gets away from me!

Yes and no, I was breeding and hope to get back to it again when things are better. Right now they are for my own enjoyment, plus doing nursing home visits, and my neices and other kids ride one of my mares.

Yes, but last foals were 2 years ago, considering breeding one mare for 2014.

I have my very first Miniature Canyon my pinto mare, she is the one the kids ride, and is the one I want to get driving again. I really love her, but I also have a 22 year old mare Spring who I adore, she is so sweet and did a lot of the nursing home/school visits until this year. They are the two I would never part with unless I was backed against the wall with absolutely no other options! I've owned them for 12 years and I can't see not having them with me. They've also had some beautiful and sweet foals for me over the years. Not a specific memory, but two of my special girls.
default_wub.png

Photos on my website, but I'll put one here, this is Spring's do you have a "cookie"? face.

Spring.hd.winter.04-277x429.jpg

How many mini's do you have? 3

How did you get into mini's? My uncle has some, and I decided i would like some too.

Do you show your mini's? No, but, have done one fun show.

What classes to you enjoy most? na

Do you drive your mini's? Yes, my mare, wil be starting my gelding this spring.

Do you just keep mini's for personal backyard interests? Yes

Do you breed your mini's? No

Favorite memory with a special mini or mini's in general? My mare Hope in a fun show at a fair. She did great placedwell and didn't mind the noise or crowds.

100_8913.JPG

3 Geldings

Every year I loved watching the miniature horse show near my grandparents and would skip school just to see them! I watched the shows for 5 years before I got one of my own.

Do you show your mini's?

Yes, Youth AMHR

I enjoy the liberty and driving classes.

Yes! Country Pleasure mostly.

I did when I first got Bentley.

No

When I took all of my boys to Camp Discovery, a camp where cancer patients 18 & under can go and have fun for a week. We were the "Mini" station. Just seeing the joy in everybody's faces were priceless.

6 minis ... 3 mares, 2 geldings and 1 stallion

Raised Paso Finos and found it was easier with minis have had horses for about 26 years

Do you show your mini's?

Yes

I enjoy the performance classes and hubby loves the driving

Yes my husband mostly

for our enjoyment and love breeding and having foals.

Yes

Seeing my grand daughter helping papa clean the barn and bring in the minis

View attachment 5046

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I own seven, there are 20+ on the farm.

We went to our club's Mini show. There was a big guy leading a tiny colt on a lead. When he said "he's for sale!" I knelt down to get a better look and that sucker RAN into my arms and hid his face! I was lost.... and bought him!

Do you show your mini's?

AMHA/AMHR/open

Driving, but I can't WAIT to try the Draft Halter with Sunny!

EVERYWHERE!

I guess you could say that, they are my friends along with my showhorses.

Yes, but with four geldings, and three mares, not a lot!!

My first win at Nationals when we won Reserve Grand WCP Driving 34-38".

Well I will answer for my half of the farm, mom will have to answer for her half :D:

My parents had them and one of my first minis was a little black pinto stallion they gave me as a graduation present

Do you show your mini's?

Yes

Really all of them but if I had to pick favorites, Liberty, Driving, Jumping

Yep

Yes and no, they are my hobby but I do show and promote them.

Yes

My favorite memories are just laying in the pasture surrounded by all my foals, nothing better than just relaxing and giving them all attention

For just general pictures of our horses you can check out our website but here are a couple just fun random ones too

This is just for fun to get to know some of you since I'm so new to the forum :D

Welcome to the forum :D

393043_4544824496653_17315680_n.jpg

431338_4544825856687_1526650838_n.jpg

68649_4555336879456_91384414_n.jpg

31019_4132851357582_1773380794_n.jpg

423060_4255802471283_322392370_n.jpg

557856_4255814631587_175709425_n.jpg

I downsized many years ago and now have just 2.

Had a serious riding accident when I was working polo ponies and stopped riding altogether. Fast forward to today, many years later, I am back riding and love every minute of it.

Do you show your mini's?

Nope.

N/A

Nope.

Family companions

No. I used to, and now I strongly believe there are too many good minis for adoption that need and deserve good homes.

When the City came over and filmed an educational video on my minis.

Here are my 2 minis, both AMHA registered, and both came from places where they needed to be rehomed into a forever home (which is me!)

8375266188_5889d65cfb.jpg

I own 5, I'm babysitting 2. I have 2 ponies and a Donkey too.

The first one was a rescue, then i was hooked!

Do you show your mini's?

Not really. I have them mostly to drive!

I love driving my minis!

Mostly just for me.

Not on purpose! We are expecting 2 foals this year though, hubby accidents!

The first time I put Sugar to the cart. I trained her by myself and I was so proud of our first drive together. She was a star.

Had big horses, then had kids, and wasn't comfortable with them around the biggies

Do you show your mini's?

Yes, to the National level

Driving

Yes - currently have 4 on our driving string for this year

Do you just keep mini's for personal backyard interests? Not really, but I have a couple barren mares that will be here forever.

Yes

2 - One is my rescue mare that I adopted and trained myself. The other is a rescue gelding that I am fostering until I find him a home.

I was riding my big horse down the road with my mom when I was little and my neighbors were out jumping their new minis. They invited me to come over and work with them. I went over almost every day and after my first show with them I caught the mini bug. I didn't get my own mini until several years later though.

Do you show your mini's?

Yes. Open shows and this year I will be adding AMHR.

Jumping and Obstacle are by far my favorites.

Yes, I trained my rescue mare myself and we started driving in the cart in the fall of last year.

Not really.

No.

There are too many to list. My favorite memory with Lulu was when I first met her and felt that special connection with her. She never walked up to anyone before and the third time that I visited her she willingly walked up to me. This was a mare that was going to be put down because she only had one eye and was completely wild and untouchable.

Besides that, last year my highlight of my show season with her was winning the open in hand obstacle class out of 30 people against handlers and horses who compete and place at Nationals. The course was even designed after Nationals! She proved to everyone what a rescue horse is fully capable of that day.

Lulu's new quirk is to watch the back door of my house from her pasture when she wants fed. The second she sees the back light go on and the door open she gives the highest pitched and loudest whinnie I have ever heard and then proceeds to nicker until I put her hay in her run in shelter. Gotta love how smart the minis are!

I would, but for some reason it won't let me load. In case you can't tell, Lulu is my life. I can't even begin to explain how much the miniature horse has impacted me; they are amazing horses.

There are 28 here at the moment; some will be moving elsewhere in the spring.

I got my first two when I rescued them from a neighbor's pasture--they were not being fed and there was no grass and every day when I went past to and from work I saw them getting thinner and thinner. I started taking hay over every few days, then every second day, then every day and then made an offer to the owner & brought them home.

Do you show your mini's?

Did some open and AMHR showing earlier on but haven't shown the Minis in several years now. I have been showing ponies instead.

I love showing in halter, or would if the horses were shown differently--I like showing halter when I can show off the horse's movement and know the judges appreciate good movement. I enjoy showing in Pleasure Driving but don't have a suitable cart at this time.

yes.

Yes, that too.

Not any more. We did raise foals several years. Had one "accident" a year ago--a lovely moving filly that is going to be awesome to drive.

Nothing specific, I just enjoy all my memories with the horses.

One memory that does make me laugh--we had put up a new metal gate, and had two Minis in that corral. We wondered if they would manage to knock it off its hinges but figured it wouldn't happen for awhile. Went in the house to have lunch, looked out the window 20 minutes later & saw two fat little Mini butts disappearing over the hill in the back pasture. The little twerps had stuck their heads through the gate, lifted it off its hinges & were gone--they did that quicker than we thought they would. I wired it down & it hasn't happened again. I still chuckle when I think of the sight of those two fat little butts going as hard as they could go up that little hill!!

Right now we have 53 miniature horses/all AMHR--about 2/3 are double registered AMHR/ASPC Foundation

That is a long story, but mainly, my Father in law wanted them and bought nearly 50 in one year in 1996. Since there was no way he could take care of them all himself, Dave and I were then in the business too. LOL

Do you show your mini's?

Yes, we love to show our minis. Usually Dave shows and I get them ready, but I do occasionally show.

What classes to you enjoy more?

We love to drive our minis and when I show, that is what I like to do. Dave likes the halter classes also.

Yes, and not just for show. We take them to birthday parties and such for rides also.

We have a couple that are here just for fun and will never leave.

Yes, we have bred them even though we haven't the last two years and only a select very few the two years before that because of the economy. We are proud to have bred some National Champions and Hall of Fame horses.

I remember driving my favorite driving horse, Lucky, at Nationals. When we were in the lineup, He made the silliest faces and had the whole line cracking up. He didn't place, but I was out there and he was so fun to drive. I also have many more, but that is one of my favorites."

Registered - under the AMHR limit of 38" @ last hair of the mane - 2. Unregistered AMHR (but registered Shetlands - ASPC) - 6 w/ one on the way. May be doing some hardshipping into AMHR - not sure yet... Total Shetlands - 26

After returning from overseas, had been out of horses for about 10 years, visited my parent's farm in MT. Their 16 hh stallion reared over our 2 yr old daughter and I was determined to find equine that were their size. Got a 45" stallion and a 37" Shetland mare - 2 1/2 yrs later in 1995. Still have the first 37" Shetland mare that was born in 1996 and she's produced 2 AMHR sized (unregistered) ASPC registered Shetlands with the one on the way.

2083.jpg

Do you show your mini's?

Our daughters grew up showing the Shetlands in open and 4H shows. 2012 - had a yearling AMHR/ASPC filly shown by Herrons Training Stables all the way thru the AMHR Futurity and Nationals. She will continue to be shown later - right now at home being a horse. Will show in the future, myself. Had 3 yearling Shetlands shown in halter & Classic Futurities in 2012 as well - they did AWESOME!

I did my first class in TX driving my pair of Shetland mares (40") at the Spooktacular Show in Glen Rose - Oct 2012. I hope to continue and also add halter classes. Who knows - may add all the performance classes. Used to LOVE doing obstalcle (trail) classes and reining and jumping as a youth riding myself.

12oct27bebi7317.jpg

YES! All things drivable - carts, wagons, farm equipment, "logging".

11mar29st641.jpg

If I couldn't do anything by look at them, I'd still have them. But mine are starting to care for the property that supports them. I have displayed them at various functions - schools, churchs, County Fair, Draft Horse events... Benefit trail ride/drives.

Breed the Shetlands... if get them hardshipped then I can say yes to this one specifically.

SOOOO Many!!! Almost all involving just our children, and now our two granddaughters. Probably the best tho - was one of the first. My non-horsey hubby was learning to put up fence in MT in 1995. He would walk to the next post w/ equipment. Patty, the 37" mare would follow him. If he put down the hammer, she'd pick it up and nod her head. Looked like she was handing him the hammer and saying "get on with it"...

Then - just the triumph when I hitched a mare for the first time and everything went well (she was difficult to get to that point). I was soooo happy - especially when we then proceeded to go down the road - driving by herself.

4bef.jpg

Feel free to share pictures! I did, LOL.

Welcome to the forum!! There are literally thousands of pics through our website - of all sizes of ponies from the mini sized Shets to the 1/2 shetlands to the Arabians our daughters and I graduated to when they were too big to ride the shetlands and didn't want to drive. We've come full circle - downsizing now to just the Shetlands and starting our granddaughters with handling the smaller ponies...

How many mini's do you have? 1 AMHR, 10 ASPC/AMHR, 40 ASPC, 1 ASPC/AMHR boarder, 1 ASPC boarder

How did you get into mini's? Crushed my T-12 vertebrae in a riding accident and when riding became uncomfortable I downsized.

Do you show your mini's? Yes

What classes to you enjoy most? Halter

Do you drive your mini's? Not presently though I have in the past

Do you just keep mini's for personal backyard interests? There are a few that fall in that catagory

Do you breed your mini's? ASPC/AMHR and ASPC

Favorite memory with a special mini or mini's in general? Probably this year at Nationals when my colt Plattes Truly Intriguing absolutely would not stand still in his Sweepstakes class. His handler handled it like the pro he is and it was so comical I had to laugh watching the two of them!

IntrigueNationals72dpi1_zpsc135561a.jpg

Latest posts

Back