Mare acting studish?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyL

Reaction score
I am really confused on this one....

My five year old mare, acts like a stud at times. She will mount her mother and go through the motions. And other times, she squeals and arches her neck, just as a stud does when around a mare in heat.

My herd consists of three mares and three geldings. I rescued two of the geldings and two of the mares. I have had the mare in question, and her mother, for almost a year and a half now after taking them out of bad situation. When I first got those mares, the-five-year old was untrusting, and scared of people, Now she is more trusting and wants to be around people.

But is there a reason she acts studish at times? She is the only one who does this, and only acts this way toward her mother.

Thanks for the advice.

That is natural. Its hormones, either the older mare or hers are peaking or falling off.

It can be normal, but more than not is an indication of some kind of problem. I'd suggest an ultrasound of her ovaries. If that's not an option, a FHS or GnRH stimulus test.

In a bunch of mares I can guarantee you I shall have at least one mare acting like this!

When you are trying to get mares in foal it can be a real pain, especially if the stallion is out with the group, in which case I have to remove the "studdish" mare.

If you have no reason to think this mare is in anything other than good health I should not worry about it, I only worry if there are other symptoms to indicate some sort of problem.

It is not normal but it is fairly common.

IT does not seem to make any difference if there are geldings in the field, or not.

The only thing I would worry about is if the mare starts to get nasty, in which case some sort of medication might be in order, but that would be for a Vet to decide.

Dominance. She just wants to be the boss.

I strongly suggest you have her checked for cysts. It may not be one, but they often act studdish and mount other mares when they do have one in their ovary.

Good luck.

I agree, have her checked for cysts.

Quite possibly one of the mares is in heat.

This also happens sometimes to mares that are in foal. This year I have two mares who are/were in foal, and both mares are acting like a stallion and will actually mount another mare. I have been told by other breeders to expect a stud colt from this mares. Sure enough, the first mare had a stud colt. Still waiting on the other mare.

Pam

Yup! In that case its fetal testosterone causing the mare's actions
default_smile.png

Nathan, how soon in gestation can this behavior occur? I'm having this same dilemia with a mare that has been heavily in heat all week but is definately going out. I have several mares in season now and I've noticed that this mare will pace the fence line watching a mare get bred and show signs herself as she watches (tail lifting, peeing, etc). When I turn the mare who was being serviced back out, the "studdy" mare comes over, "teases", and mounts the mare that was just bred.

The one bred mare that I've had behave this way was carrying a filly. Here & there I've had open mares mounting one of the others. No one mare does it consistantly or long term--each picks a 'girlfriend' for herself for one or two heat cycles, then they lose interest & everything is quiet again.

Latest posts

Back