Maiden mare, anyone have any guesses how close??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
Hi,

My mare here is about 323 days today. She is a maiden, so I am watching her very closely but getting tired. :DOH!

She is really loose in the rear, no tail resistance and she is uncomfortable. She is my 3rd maiden that I have had here to foal, and I have missed the other 2 mares due to them being maidens and not showing any of the signs. So I am really watching her closely. I also have been fortunate that nothing went wrong with the other 2 foalings.
default_smile.png
I have tried to express milk from her udder so I can test it, but if I am lucky, I get a small drop, and it is somewhat sticky and clearish to amber colored.

Any thoughts or guesses would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

IMG_2483-1.jpg

IMG_2477-1.jpg

I'm going to guess that she's pretty close from the udder picture as her bag looks like it's filling nicely and the nipples are spreading apart. How firm or 'tight' is her udder?

She looks like she has a decent bag-- especially for a maiden. They don't always get big ones ahead of time. If her tail is real loose, and her belly looks like the foal is in position, I'd watch her closely.

You can still test that drop of milk on the pool test strips. That is a very good indicator.

Her bag is pretty firm and tight. With her being a maiden, I was surprised her bag is as big as it is. That is why I thought I would see what others thought. I normally take pictures of the udder at a different angle from under the belly, and tonight was the first time that I took it at this angle. Wow, you can see much more and see the changes better I think. I did notice tonight too that she is so relaxed that when I touch her butt by her tail, her whole rear end twitches to my touch. I have never seen that before in the other mares I have. Right now she is laying down upright, but every few minutes she rolls on her side and rocks back and forth and lays flat for a bit and sits back up and keeps repeating, so I think she is working on it
default_smile.png

I have tried the milk strip test with 1 drop of liquid to 2-3 drops of distilled water, last week. But the ph was real high still. I figured maybe it wasnt enough and the test isnt working properly.

Hi, my maiden mare foaled last eve. It did not go well. Her bag looked alot like that.

My mare ended up with the bubble, and one hoof showing inside it. The bubble broke on its own, and then I looked for the second hoof it was inplace as well I could feel the nose, but nothing was coming on its own. After awhile I lubricated her up and brought out the second hoof, and the head. It came out to the shoulder, but she was still struggling. I pulled a couple more times as she pushed, there laying of the fillies back was a back hoof.

What a nightmare. We called the vet. I thought we would loose the mare too, but thank goodness, by the time he arrived she had somehow expelled the filly.

It was her first , and mine as well. I have two more to foal, and am really nervous now. The only good thing is that they have had foals before.

Hi, my maiden mare foaled last eve. It did not go well. Her bag looked alot like that.

My mare ended up with the bubble, and one hoof showing inside it. The bubble broke on its own, and then I looked for the second hoof it was inplace as well I could feel the nose, but nothing was coming on its own. After awhile I lubricated her up and brought out the second hoof, and the head. It came out to the shoulder, but she was still struggling. I pulled a couple more times as she pushed, there laying of the fillies back was a back hoof.

What a nightmare. We called the vet. I thought we would loose the mare too, but thank goodness, by the time he arrived she had somehow expelled the filly.

It was her first , and mine as well. I have two more to foal, and am really nervous now. The only good thing is that they have had foals before.
Hi, I am so sorry for your loss. Glad your mare is ok. We also lost a foal about 10 days ago, not a maiden mare, but it was our first foal that we have lost. And it was hard...And I am also nervous for my other mares.

How about her udder now? Is this a small size for a maiden? I tried to get some liquid tonight to test it, but I could not even get a drop. And it is really hard and warm
default_smile.png
I see the crease is gone from 2 days ago. Sorry the picture is so big, I cant get photo bucket to resize it.

IMG_2519.jpg

YAHOO!!! I am really tired, but you just livened me up
default_laugh.png

Back