Magic Marker Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take their tails out of their braid shortly after they foal(usually after the placenta).

Shadow can fool you. If Design foals within the week, Shadow will speed up and foal within 72 hours. She did that in 2011. A mare foaled and Shadow had no bag. 72 hours later she had a medium bag with colostrum. She foaled that night, but we lost the foal. Last year she was the first to foal and only had a medium bag, until a couple hours before foaling. Her bag gets huge after she foals.

Shadows private area is looser and more elongated. She also doesn't look as big. She never gets very slab-sided, so that doesn't help with determining when she is close.

Any movement from Design's foal is close to the milk bar and high up on her flank, so the baby is positioned and ready for delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:
My tiny mares under 31" don't slab out either, but they do sorta even out and they do get the V. Funny thing about all my mini girls is only have a couple that will let me know they are in first stage, most of mine are sneaky! Good luck with your foaling.

Awh darn Renee'. I should pull my avatar lol. I never thought of that with the tail! I kept Missy's braided and bagged because that filly had to stay stall bound for two days to let her leg that was caught straighten and gain strength, and I didn't want tail hair in new baby's face. But you have a very good point.

Design is still in a holding pattern. Her milk bar is the same. She is slightly V'd. Her private area is the same with no redness. At times she looks slab-sided, other times she looks very pregnant.

All other mares are the same. We have rain and high winds coming in Fri and leaving Sat. It will be in the high 50's(50) on Sat., then the temps go back up.

Design is at 337 days and progressing very slowly. Here's pictures from side, her private area, and the milk bar. I'll put the picture from Sun next to today's pictures, for comparison. First pic is from Sun, second pic is today

She looks like she has dropped more from previous pictures. Milk bar looks the same, doesn't soften after being turned out. Her private area looks a little more swollen and elongated.

The other five mares have not progressed any more. They are also in a holding pattern. I'll get pictures of everyone after this storm moves through. High winds and possible thunderstorms. Tempatures will begin rising again by Sun-Mon.

SANY0400.JPG

SANY0409.JPG

SANY0402.JPG

SANY0410.JPG

SANY0403.JPG

SANY0411.JPG

Wow for a maiden I think she looks very close. Her hooha is getting elongated

magic.jpg

Look how her nipples have separated.

magic  ..jpgmagic udder.jpg

Not long to go now!!
default_yes.gif

No foal yet, but she was sure full of it this morning. Running around, trying to buck, and kicking. It's only in the 50's and very windy. She also rolled three times in the span of 15 min.

Shadow doesn't look as wide. Looks like the foal has dropped. Little udder. Miss Te is a little more filled out in the milk bar, otherwise the same. Her foal has a tendance to move around more than Shadow's and Design's.

Hope Design holds out a couple more days. The night time temps will be in the 50's and the high will be in the 70's-80's. One weatherperson said in the 90's.

Will get pics when the weather improves.

Man oh man, I wish we had temps in the 50s lol. It's snowing sideways here, and very cold...but we desperately need this moisture so I shouldn't complain. Can't wait to see new pics of your girls!

Lol, I was just about to say the same thing! Oh, how I fondly miss those Tucson temps in winter! Today we have sunshine!!! And it is getting up to around 48, all the snow is finally melting!

I can't wait to see those foals of yours on the ground! We don't even have a bag started yet
default_sad.png

Here's updated pictures

Design-340 days(maiden) smokey black tovero

Shadow-321 days(328 days 2012, 325 days 2011)black

Miss Te-311 days(unknown)chestnut sabino

Lace-300 days(338 days 2011)black tobiano-next entry

Freckles-293 days(unknown)silver bay tobiano-next entry

SANY0412.JPG

SANY0413.JPG

SANY0414.JPG

SANY0416.JPG

SANY0417.JPG

SANY0418.JPG

SANY0419.JPG

SANY0421.JPG

SANY0422.JPG

SANY0423.JPG

SANY0424.JPG

SANY0425.JPG

Will have to get a picture later of Freckles milk bar. Didn't realize the picture didn't have her milk bar, just her belly.

SANY0426.JPG

SANY0427.JPG

SANY0428.JPG

SANY0430.JPG

SANY0431.JPG

SANY0432.JPG

SANY0434.JPG

Design certainly looks close. Has Freckles had foals before - just asking, as for 293 days she sure has an 'almost ready to foal' tummy and vulva (but it may be the camera angle?), will be interested to see her udder pics!

Freckles has had at least one foal, maybe two. Still researching that. We have her almost three year old tovero filly.

Her milk bar is similar to Miss Te's and Shadow's. Droopy but no filling.

Here's new pics of Design(343 days) and Shadow(324 days). I'm ready for c-sections because I walk around all day in a stupor, from lack of sleep. Looks like the horses are the only ones getting enough beauty sleep. I'll post pics from the 12th and today, for comparison.

There's no noticable color change in their woohaa. Design's milk bag doesn't soften after being turned out all day. It's been staying rock hard. Cannot get milk either.

SANY0412.JPG

SANY0438.JPG

SANY0414.JPG

SANY0439.JPG

SANY0416.JPG

SANY0440.JPG

SANY0417.JPG

SANY0441.JPG

SANY0419.JPG

SANY0442.JPG

SANY0421.JPG

SANY0443.JPG

Design(347 days)I have come to the conclusion that she is not pregnant. She has a tumor and hormone problems that make it look like she is close to foaling.LOL

Shadow(328 days) on the other hand is very close. She has bagged up the last 36 hours and her vulva is extremely loose. She is not fully bagged up, but she doesn't do that until she foals. I did get colostrum expressed from her about 15 min. ago. She has been stretching and pawing off and on since yesterday. Her vulva is red.

The remaining three mares are progressing slowly. I have a feeling Miss Te will hold out until April, with Lace and Freckles.

Annie, not due until june, is just getting big.

SANY0444.JPG

SANY0445.JPG

SANY0447.JPG

SANY0448.JPG

SANY0449.JPG

SANY0450.JPG

Design(349 days)liquid from nipples clear & very sticky, vulva pale pink

Shadow(330 days)liquid from nipples clear to cloudy & not as sticky, vulva darker pink, very dropped and sunken in at the tail-head. She usually lays down a couple times during night and at least once during day, but she only maybe layed down once during night, not once during day. Her bag isn't real big, but she has a tendancy to bag fully after the foal is born.

Sorry about the lousy milk bar pictures. They are tired of all the pictures and didn't want to hold still.

I do have one question.

Design is a smokey black medicine hat tovero. She has a couple spots on face, some black hairs in tail, and a couple very tiny spots on lower leg above hoof(can't see unless you clip). She may have got the splash gene from sire(one crystal blue eye and one dark blue eye). Her dam is Lakota(Pacific Pintos) who tested neg for splash.

Design is bred to a solid smokey silver black stallion. Question is, can she throw a pinto? You can't do the color calculator for Tovero.

SANY0453.JPG

SANY0454.JPG

SANY0455.JPG

SANY0457.JPG

SANY0458.JPG

SANY0459.JPG

Latest posts

Back