Magic Marker Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shadow has no bag and isn't real loose, about the same as previous pictures. Checked her private area and it's pink. She is acting different. Not hungry(did eat breakfast), but no grazing on loose hay dropped from delivery guy. She is standing around, usually by herself. She usually lives for food.

On another note. I should have bet Kari on how many babies the last goat was going to have. I would have won. Kari said twins(said it again last night after looking at her) and I said triplets. She had the first brown-eyed buckling breech(brown & black-did have to help) and then had a big blue-eyed buckling(mostly cream and white). I figured she was done, so started bottle-feeding the other babies. Also wasn't very happy that she had two boys, we don't keep them. Wanted a blue-eyed girl. The first two bottle babies had just finished their bottles when she laid down and delivered a blue-eyed doeling(mostly white and cream). She redeemed herself. They are mini-Lamancha's.

Done with goats until June and July. Now bring on the miniature horses. I wished they would deliver during the day like the goats. I know it can happen, but every horse(big and small) that I have foaled out has been at night. After 2-3 weeks of getting up every 1-2 hours to check on them. I'm beat by then.

SANY0364.JPG

SANY0365.JPG

SANY0366.JPG

What a cute set of little ones - so glad you got your blue eyed doeling - many congrats!!
default_thumbup.gif

Awe.. cute little goats.. Ya.. we never had any goats deliver at night. I know people do but we found that if we fed them right at dusk.. they would kid out usually between 11-2 the next day unless there was a stahler. The latest we have had one kid was at about 5pm. So .. yes.. not used to this secretive horse thing where they want to wait until no one is watching them.

Last year, I checked on a QH/Mustang and a miniature at a certain hour. Went back out 1-2 hours later and there were their babies. I could tell they were acting different, but couldn't stand their any longer. When we move, we are getting camera's and monitors. We got foaling monitors before the last mare foaled a couple years ago, but the antenna was lost in the storm. Flew off with part of the roof and we couldn't ever find it. Worked great, except the mare could make it go off just by rubbing her head on the stall door.

Here's pictures of the first 3 girls.

Design(331 days) maiden

Shadow(312 days) foaled 2011 at 328 days and 2012 323 days

Miss Te(301 days) unknown

SANY0368.JPG

SANY0369.JPG

SANY0370.JPG

SANY0371.JPG

SANY0354.JPG

SANY0374.JPG

SANY0375.JPG

SANY0376.JPG

SANY0377.JPG

SANY0378.JPG

SANY0379.JPG

SANY0380.JPG

Design was laid out flat almost everytime I checked on her(good thing she didn't have an alarm, I would have got less sleep than I did).

This morning she is a little more relaxed and elongated in the private area. There is a little spot of brighter red in her vulva. Even though her milk bag is not all the way full, the nipples are angled straight down. She even looks less pregnant than yesterday.

Shadow even looks thinner.

Sounds as though Design is virtually ready to show you her baby!! Do you have someone who could share 'watches' with you, so that you can get some sleep while other 'eyes' are doing a spell of duty? I know that when I was going it alone and doing checks every 20 minutes, night and day - sitting on an upright chair during the night, allowing myself to 'cat nap' knowing that I would fall off the chair if I actually fell asleep - I got so exhausted that several times I did 'cat nap' longer than my allotted time and shot up, scrambling to get outside, feeling very guilty but luckily finding everything still alm and normal, but staying awake or being awake at the right time can be so very difficult without some help!

Hopefully Design will foal very soon for you.
default_yes.gif

My roommate works 4 days and is off 3, but it's easier for me to keep watch on them. I'm with them everyday, so I know when they are acting different or if there is changes.

Wouldn't matter, I have 4 more to go through mid-April. Then a wait until mid May, beginning of June, for the last one.

She was quiet last night. About 9:00 pm, Design walked real fast once around her stall and then laid down and rolled. She got right back up, stretched, and then gave the flehmen response.

Her tail has no resistance when you raise it and her nipples are pointing down.

Well it sounds like take off
default_yes.gif
I am sending prayers for a safe and easy foaling
default_pray.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds as though she's very close - sending good luck and prayers for a smooth and safe foaling!

Quiet all night. Between 5-7 am, she has had at least two cow patty piles of poop(maybe three). Nothing is different with her bedding or her diet. She was also in her stall all day yesterday, so didn't eat anything new. Babies movements were about 6-12 inches in front of mammary bag and high up on flank. It was not hooves kicking, it was a part of the body. She's eating right now.

Could we have some new pics of Design to see the changes please
default_yes.gif
default_please.gif

If she doesn't foal tonight, I'll get you some pictures. Had to clip her because she was itching so bad. Clipped Shadow also. Will be clipping the other broodmares, if the clipper blades hold out.

Here's Design(335 days) and Shadow(316 days). The others will be later. I'm dragging during the day because of getting up every 2 hours and not being able to go right back to sleep.

While they were eating their grain, Shadow's foal was moving all over. Design's foal has been quiet. Moved a little while clipping her, otherwise pretty still. Compared to 3-4 days ago.

Design had a couple of loose stools last night also.

SANY0400.JPG

SANY0401.JPG

SANY0402.JPG

SANY0403.JPG

SANY0404.JPG

SANY0405.JPG

SANY0406.JPG

SANY0407.JPG

default_thumbup.gif
Great pics
default_yes.gif
Looks like Design is getting close and shouldn't be too long now, Shadow could be a couple of weeks behind her but we all know these girls can change fast.

They look great
default_thumbup.gif

I have a pet hate and it is plaited tails after the mare has foaled
default_gaah.gif
mares usually have some tummy pain after foaling and will swish their tails around, that plait turns into a lethal weapon
default_xbud.gif
for your legs but above all for the little foal. So don't forget to take it out once she has paced the placenta or better still if you want it to stay clean roll it up with some vet wrap.

Ok I am jumping off now
default_1857272.gif

default_whistling.gif

It's good for me to see all these photos, to compare to our mares. I see so much variation it's crazy! Looks like Design is getting close, especially with less movement from baby.
default_xreiter.gif

Latest posts

Back