Magic Marker 2015

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two babies in one night, wow your gonna need that rest. I guess we'll find out soon
default_smile.png

Well, it's morning and still have two very pregnant mares. Would have thought the half Arab would have foaled after yesterdays performance.

Well, I have bad news. Design went into labor this evening. Baby presented correctly at first. Design was having a little trouble, so started helping (foal was big). Then noticed a back leg presenting by his head. Tried everything to push the foal back in. Design's contractions where making it difficult. Design was getting more stressed, so started pulling baby again. He finally came out, but was unresponsive . Heart beating but not breathing. Held him up by his back legs, stimulated, and did mouth to nose. But he never took a breath. After about 15 minutes, his heart stopped. Design is fine. She is a little sore but I think she knows her son is gone. After sniffing and biting him, she started eating. Design is Kari's daughters horse. We have decided not to breed her again. She has produced to large foals by two different small stallions. She is only 30". We will finish training her to cart. The colt was our jr stallions first foal. He was a pinto, not sure of color. Face looked black but had a brown mark on flank, one back leg and one side of rump. Mom was a black medicine hat with splash. Sire was a dunskin tobiano.

I want to thank Diane (Castle Rock) so much. I called her to ask what all we needed to do and how long. She was so nice and helped us out a lot. She was so encouraging and caring.

Today was already a difficult day and this added to it. One of my cats got a severe UTI and had to rush him to the vet. He had to stay and it is touch and go if he survives.

It was sad, but at least the mare is okay. She's Kari's daughters horse. We had a friend that's mare and foal were lost to almost the same delivery. With that mare, both hind legs were forward. At least I was able to deliver the foal without losing the mare. It was easier on Kari's daughter knowing her mare was alive and would be okay. Still waiting on half Arab mare. Then last mini for 2015 due in about 6-8 weeks. Another mare bred to our jr stallion.

So sorry for the loss of the foal, but good job on your due diligence saving mama.

Hope your kitty gets better!

Well, its late morning and Design is eating with herd. She occasionally calls out but otherwise is doing good. We will be breeding later this year due to moving back to MO. Kari's daughter will take the time to decide if she wants to breed her again. Also if this year or next. Foal wasn't as big as we thought. 7 1/2" cannons and very refined. Just the back leg being in the wrong position made the delivery difficult. Unsure of color but was very flashy. Looked to be a smoky black, bkack, or possibly a buckskin.

Very sorry to read this. Glad she is doing fine now, and that you were there.

Hoping your kitty will feel better soon
default_smile.png

Talked to the vet this morning. My cat had to get a catheter put in this morning, but feeling better. They wanted to keep him for the weekend. I have to call Monday and see if he can go home. He may have to stay to be neutered if vet okays it. He was due in next month. Half Arab is slugging forward. Hoping for baby by April 1st.

Killing two birds with one stone, or in this case one kitty. Good idea. I hope she doesn't make you wait till April 1st

Awe Magic Marker, I am so sorry to hear this. I am glad to hear that Design is doing okay though.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear of your loss, but it sounds like you were a great help for this mare in her time of need. I'll pray for your kitty! We almost lost my favorite cat to a dog attack a month ago and I know how tough it is to watch and not be able to help.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your foal but glad you were there to help Design at the crutial time - well done you, and it just goes to show how important it is to be right there for our girls at foaling time.

Sending healing thoughts for your little kitty.

So sorry to read this Magic Marker. Ditto to what Anna has said. So Important that someone is there to assist during foaling and you are always there for your mares, so well done to you
default_smile.png

Glad you were there for Design and that she's doing OK now.

Yay for the good news on your kitty!

Here's an update on our two colts and the two remaining mares to foal (one mini and the half Arab).

Zazzy is an in your face and business kind of boy. You can rub him all over and he loves it. He lrts you pick up his feet (doesn't like the rasp). He also has a new buddy. Echo's legs are straighter, just a little more. He is still a talker but is becoming a love bug. Him and Zazzy are becoming the best of friends. Kari's nickname for Zazzy is BamBam and Echo is Gumby.

River (half Arab) must not of took at the breedings we saw and recorded. She must have been covered (secretly) her next heat cycle. Otherwise she is well over a year gestation. She has been V'd for the last 24 hours. She is elongated and swollen in vulva area. Her bag is huge and tight. Has even increased in the last 24 hours. Should foal this week some time. Took pictures of her broadside and behind. Tried milk bar but she got nervous. Let her be.

Rain (the last mini-also bred to Wildfire) has two different breeding dates. I think she took on the first breeding because of her milk bar development. Her second breeding date would make her only 299 days. Second breeding makes her 321 days.

Pictures are on the next post. Doing this on my phone and I needed to add a step. I'll lose everything I wrote if I try to go to the second step to add pictures.

I have to call the vet later to check on my sick kitty. No call all weekend is good news. Should be able to pick him up today, hopefully after they were able to neuter him.

Latest posts

Back