Lost 2 1/2 year old filly this week

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry for your loss
default_no.gif

Thank you for posting your babies story it reminds us who are not farmilliar

with ulcers yet to always consider it a possibility as a diagnosis when they are off

aagin so sorry for your loss

I am so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
Hugs, and I hope someday that that same song brings you sweet memories of your girl.

Barb

We use the preventive Neigh Lox. We will also use Gastro Gard for 4 weeks, if needed, to treat an active ulcer.

I am sorry to hear of what you have gone through. Hugs~

I have minis & cutting horses & have had several experiences with ulcers. Past ulcer dealings prove that the best remedy is to turn horses out. They are herd animals & grazers. Its real hard to keep show horses from getting fat so it helps to give them little munchies whenever possible thruout the day. Especially when trailering or when away from their normal routine.

I saw a show where 10 horses were scoped clean then taken away from home-not showed, lightly exercised, keep on same diet & feed sched. & wheb they returned home after just one weekend away, 7 out of 10 had ulcers when re-scoped. It was explained to me that some horses have high acidity because they should be digesting food continuously. My show horse go out all night right now, get small amt of grain when stalled in am then small amts of hay twice during day before turning out at night. If they get too heavy, I put them in a dirt turnout that has tiny amts to pick on or add hay.

Treating large horses for ulcers runs over $1000. so hopefully one day more drug companys will get involved & come up with some kind of affordable dietary supplement.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry that you lost your beloved filly
default_sad.png
I am sure the info you shared will help others.

I am so sorry you lost your Jingle Belle.

Thank you for sharing your terrible experience. Your strength to share this story will undoubtedly save the lives of some horses in the years to come as others read and remember and pass on the story. It seems that veterinarians are very slow to recognize what might be ulcer symptoms. It is up to us and all we can do is try to learn more each day.

I hope some day you can remember Jingle Belle's beautiful liberty performance with the joy you must have felt at that time.

Charlotte

Awww...so sorry to hear of your loss. What a shame. I just went to a very informative seminar regarding the digestive system. Ulcers were also discussed along with the product Succeed. Good info. I lost a sick horse too, and am now wondering if ulcers might have been involved.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_crybaby.gif
Due to information I had seen here I asked my vet if he thought my mini might have ulcers and he didn't think it was likely but I pushed and he said it would do no harm to put the mini on Gastroguard for a couple weeks and see what happened. If it worked, boom, we knew he had ulcers. And it was cheaper than scoping!
default_rolleyes.gif
After about seven days the gelding's appetite began to increase and after two weeks he was like a different horse. I felt so bad when I realized how he should have been acting all that time, but the decline in his appetite had been so gradual I hadn't noticed.
default_no.gif

Unfortunately we'd only put him on a half-dose of Gastroguard (the vet thought that would be sufficient for a minor ulcer over 30 days and money was a real issue at the time) and the ulcer came back as soon as I took him off the meds. I had to pay to put him on a full course of Gastroguard for ANOTHER 30 days, then reduced it to Ulcergard levels for the rest of the show season in order to keep him comfortable. I wish I'd just done it right the first time.
default_wacko.png

To this day he's still prone to them and I don't think I'll ever take him somewhere without dosing him full of Ulcergard first. It's just not worth the heartache of watching him go off his feed and try to work through the pain.
default_no.gif

Again, I'm so sorry about Jingle Belle. Never be afraid to push the issue of ulcers with your vet- most of them don't know what a problem it is.

Leia

Latest posts

Back