Lost 2 1/2 year old filly this week

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori

Reaction score
I lost a 2 1/2 year old this week. She was born Christmas Day 2006 and was really special. Her name was Jingle Belle.

Last year I had trouble getting weight on her and she would go on and off her grain. Always cleaned up her hay. Had a complete blood panel done on her last fall and everything was normal. She would sretch out now and then but never acted like she was really collicking. I read something on here about ulcers and someones mini stretching out, so I started asking everyone, vets included, said that they didn't think she had ulcers. I always fed Strategy and whenever I'd start to work her back on it, she'd get uncomfortable again. But never anything major. I started her on soaked beet pulp with calf mana and Omelene 200 around X-mas and she started filling out and hasn't been off her grain or show any signs of discomort since. So we were a good 6 months sympton free. I showed her last Sat in liberty and she won.

Tuesday A.M. she was rolling obviously in pain. Had the vet out immediately and he did the ususaly Bantamine and oil. By lunch she was getting uncofortable again. He wasn't hearing any bowel sounds, so he strongly suggested taking her to Purdue because he really felt she had an obstruction. I took her up right away and they took X-rays and thought they could see an obstruction in her small intestine. When they opened her up, it wasn't a blockage they were seeing, but perforations in her small intestines. The vet said that there were 2 perforations that she could fit her index finger thru. Everything had obviously spilled out into her abdomin and didn't have any choice but to let her go. She said she wasn't sure about ulcers in her stomach, but her small intestines were lined with them. The vet was shocked at what she found in there.

I just wanted to pass this on because I wish I would have followed up more on the ulcer possibility and had her scoped or something. I know I would have if her symptoms would have continued, but they didn't, so I really thought she was ok.

When I showed her in liberty I played my favorite Christmas song, Jingle Bell Rock. I don't think I'll ever enjoy hearing it again. I hope that this information might somehow help someone else someday.

Lori

Hind sight is 20/20, but I would be inclined to go with my gut feeling and say it was stomach ulcer related. nervous horse or a horse prone to ulcers can have colicy episodes pop up when put into a stressful situation. If it is a show horse, people will often put them on a preventative ulcer program during training or several days before traveling/showing. I am sure others will chime in, but it is one of those preventative measures that does not hurt.

I am sorry for your loss.

I wish vets would start being more proactive with ulcer treatment /prevention, it is a safe course of treatment that is easy on the system.

Oh Lori so sorry to hear of your loss.. what a shame. How would you have known?! I am so sorry and wish one of the vets would have been more familiar with what to look for or treat. Hmmmm, I do have a friend who has a yearling that sounds like this- she is more high strung and has been up and down this year with 'colicky' symtoms off and on! I will pass this info on to her!!

Im so sorry for your loss. I really wish vets would listen more and understand how dangerous ulcers are for a horse. Im lucky that mine take it very seriously but I have friends whose vets always down play it. As I said in another post there have been new studies showing how ulcers are now becoming a major problem in horses especially show horses. We make sure ours get 3-4 small meals per day and we never work them on an empty stomach

I am very sorry for your loss... Sometimes we gotta push our vets to take us seriously just like we should do with our medical doctors. Nobody can know everything so we gotta help each other out and be proactive for our animals welfare and our own...

Last edited by a moderator:
How heartbreaking. All I can say is, I'm so sorry for you.
default_no.gif

So sorry to hear the sad report.

If a horse has ulcers how long should one continue with the ulcer meds?

I have two yearlings that the vet treated for ulcers, but now are off of them and seem fine. Your case makes me worry that maybe they should stay on longer?

Thank you so much for sharing.

We all may need your information one day and you may help save someone else' mini.

Sorry for your loss.

I have trained race horses for many years and sadly 90% of racehorses have ulcers. I have used many different products trying to treat them. But it wasn't until a few months agoI started using Gastro Gaurd. It really made a believer out of me. It is very expensive and you use it for one month and then switch to Ulcer Gaurd. It would be cheaper using it on a mini with the smaller dose than on a bit horse. You need to treat them and then maintain them. We started a poor doer on GG two weeks ago and he has done a complete 180 degree turn around. I can't believe how fast he has put on weight and we cannot keep enough chow in front of him.

Stress is the #1 cause in ulcers.

I'm so very sorry you lost your beloved girl.
default_crybaby.gif

{{{{Hugs}}}}

I am so sorry you lost your little girl. What a loss. She sounds like she was really special. Prayers to ease your broken heart.

I'm so sorry, and as someone else said hindsight is always 20/20. We all do what we think is best at the time..

I have a 7 yr old gelding here with a tendency to colic, makes me think we should probably have him on ulcer meds for awhile.

Jan

Latest posts

Back