Looking for input.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareng

Reaction score
I am looking for input from anyone who has placed their horses (not sold)in new homes. I am trying to place them in great homes where they will be cared for and not just people who want a free horse. Do you have a contract that you use or do you check references? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen

I am looking for input from anyone who has placed their horses (not sold)in new homes. I am trying to place them in great homes where they will be cared for and not just people who want a free horse. Do you have a contract that you use or do you check references? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen

What ones are you planning on placing?

I honestly don't know. But, what about something like a free lease, then you are still the owner (have right to bring horse home if you aren't happy with its situation), but the other person would be responsible for all expenses and care. I'm sure there is a lot more to a free lease, but it might be something to consider.

Also, if you just wish to rehome, start with all the requirements you want of a buyer, and build from there.

In my experience, when it comes to low-priced or free horses opportunists will say or do whatever it takes to convince the owner they're a good home. They're not going to give you references that are going to say anything bad about them, and if you put something in the contract it's only effective 1) if you're going to spend the $$ to legally uphold it and 2) if you can find them. Last year I was looking to place a very pretty young mare in a pet home and I had an ad up for one day and you wouldn't believe the responses I got. A little Googling was all it took to see how many of them were traders and in one case they even had ads up asking for feed donations. Never again! If you want to find your horses a good, reliable home then go through people you already trust. Put up a flier at your vet's or work with the local 4H extension - the key word there being local. I placed that mare with an equine assisted therapy program and I get regular updates on her and have an open invitation to visit her. All of the horses we've retired have stayed here because it's the only way I can guarantee they're getting the retirement they deserve. Best of luck - regardless of the circumstances I know the decision must come with a lot of anxiety.

We have placed a couple of horses with friends (with written conditions). We've also done trades with friends...ie, our farrier has two of our horses in trade for trimming feet.... What's nice is that we all live in the same area and we can keep an eye on our "kids".

I also know that Chances Mini Rescue will take voluntary surrenders from owners who need to find new homes for horses for whatever reason.....often it is because the owner is suddenly feeling overwhelmed with the herd number, or the owner has to move into a different living situation, or there's a sudden health issue.

I too have given 2 horses (Big ones)away that I felt were not suitable riding partners for me. The reason I gave them away (as I paid for both of them) was that all I cared about was that they go to a good home as they had trust and abuse issues and I did not feel right selling them as they required a lot of work.

One I gave to a trainer who trained him for 6 months and then gave him to her father for his own personal horse and they still have him and adore him.

The other I saw for sale 3 weeks after I gave him to them for $2,500 advertised as a good quiet mount etc. I made them sign a contract stating that they understood what his issues were, one of which was bolting and bucking. I seriously doubt they even rode him before putting him up for sale. I assume they sold him as the ad was only up for 1 week then disappeared.

Be very careful and cover your bases. There are some very unscrupulous people out there that lie their faces off.

I will never again give a horse away without doing a home visit prior to the horse leaving my care nor would I ever give them the registration papers.

Good Luck in rehoming your babies.

I did it as a lifetime lease, so I technically still own the horse if anything should happen, I get her back. She is blind, so I was picky about it, but had no problem finding placement with those conditions. I did check references, and also have in the contract that she must update me (including sending photos) at least once a year.

Ive given away two minis (3 yr old show gelding and 5yr old broodmare ) and a sport horse (2yr old filly) all to people I already knew well and considered to be friends , two of those (both females) were put up for sale less than a year later and they never even gave me the opportunity to have them back first, I only found out after they were gone ....I would be very reluctant to do it again

My first horse was given to me in 1994. We lost him a couple summers ago, but I wouldn't have treasured him any more than I did if I paid big bucks for him. He was an arab x qh cross and just a dream come true.

Years ago, I "free leased" (which has become permanent) two mares I knew I would not be using in my goals, but didn't want to totally turn loose of as far as being able to protect them. At the outset, they were free leased to a very nice lady to enjoy and care for but if I wanted them back at any time, they were mine to take back. She did natural horsemanship with one and taught her to do tricks... this was a filly I couldn't even get to stand on the side walk! And the other got doted on by two little girls. It just worked out really well for everyone (people and horses).

Good luck.

We have had a horrible time with my son's riding horse. Colic Surgery 1 1/2 years ago, then first time out of stall he injured his leg. Just recently came out of his stall. Someone at one of the local equine vets (she works in the office) heard about our situation and that Austin would loose his second summer of showing because his horse wasn't ready yet to compete. My son is 6'3 and a big build, so the horse had to be big enough to support him.

This gal had a 5 year old 16 hand breeding stock paint that is SOLID and sweet. She gave him to us to "try"... I sent him to a trainer for 2 months to get his green a little less green since my son is not super experienced (I paid for the training)

The two of them get together just great and work together very well.

Last week the owner GAVE us the papers with a signed transfer with the understanding if we ever want to sell him that we will do the same. She is risking not having it in writing, but I am so thankful for her kindness and will most definitely honor that request.

Go by word of mouth... there are people out there that just want a mini to love. Post in feed stores, tack shops, vets, at shows.

Best wishes finding them the perfect homes.

I have placed several minis in great homes on long term lease. I gave two colts away one year with their papers and that ended in disaster. So now I keep all papers, if they want to show local shows or anything that requires papers, I give them a copy but they do sign a contract and one point I make is if they choose to return the horse it has to be in as good or better shape than they got it or they will be responsible for the vets bills to get the horse back in to normal. As of today I have placed 7 minis successfully. They were all wonderful show horses for us and I wanted to make sure they were someplace where they were loved and protected. I got references from vets, friends, pictures of the farm. So far I am very pleased with where everyone went and I get lots of pictures from everyone a few times a year. Plus they all went to big horse people that now love minis. Including one young lady who now wants to show the mare she is leasing. So for me it has all been wonderful and I know my horses are loved and well cared for.

If you advertise a free or low priced horse, the vultures will be circleing. There is no telling what some people will go through and tell you to get that horse and do who knows what with. I've been around the block way too many times and I am not a trusting person when it comes to my animals. So when someone wants to buy a horse from me, I do my homework, get pictures and a vet reference. I've already screwed up once falling for a line of BS and it will never happen again. My advise to you is to investigate completely and don't fall for any sob stories that people cannot back up with proof and a really good vet reference.

Latest posts

Back