Look at my Christmas present!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nichcole

Reaction score
My husband bought me my first cart for christmas, I have my 3 yr old Arenosa stud hooked up. If there are any changes that I need to make with his harness please let me know. He is my first mini and the first horse I have trained to drive:

PICT1628.JPG

PICT1627.JPG

PICT1629.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You have done a pretty good job for your first time but the traces need to go straight back to the singletree. From what I can see here it looks like you have them wrapped around the shaft. It also looks like his blinders could go up one hole so that they will be centred on his eye and the cheek piece should be lengthened a bit so that there is just one wrinkle in the corner of his mouth.. The breast collar appears a little high and cutting into his windpipe. It should rest just above the point of his shoulder so that it is sitting on the flat part between the bottom of his windpipe and the point of his shoulder.

That is a nice little cart! Congratulations - you have an awesome hubby!!! Have fun driving!!!

Thank you for your reply, I was told by some one down the road from me (he drives big horses) that I should wrap the shafts once with the traces and I will lower his breast collar, when I was looking at the pictures I was think that it was a little high. Miguel was alot of fun , he has alot of go so I worked alot on walking and stoping and standing alot.

I do have a great husband, he completly suprised me :bgrin

You have done a pretty good job for your first time but the traces need to go straight back to the singletree. From what I can see here it looks like you have them wrapped around the shaft. It also looks like his blinders could go up one hole so that they will be centred on his eye and the cheek piece should be lengthened a bit so that there is just one wrinkle in the corner of his mouth.. The breast collar appears a little high and cutting into his windpipe. It should rest just above the point of his shoulder so that it is sitting on the flat part between the bottom of his windpipe and the point of his shoulder.

That is a nice little cart! Congratulations - you have an awesome hubby!!! Have fun driving!!!

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

We have the same carts, and I think they are comfy. We did change our wheels to 26" wheels so the cart sets more level on the horse.

You sure look like you are having fun, what a nice hubby you have! So lucky! Enjoy!

I couldn't see the picture either.

Joyce L

Thank you for your reply, I was told by some one down the road from me (he drives big horses) that I should wrap the shafts once with the traces and I will lower his breast collar, when I was looking at the pictures I was think that it was a little high. Miguel was alot of fun , he has alot of go so I worked alot on walking and stoping and standing alot.

I do have a great husband, he completly suprised me :bgrin

Wrapping the traces around the shafts takes away the advantage of the singletree which is to help take some of the stress of the breastcollar away from the horses shoulders - rather than the breastcollar rubbing back and forth on every stride the singletree takes up the movement. I would disregard what your neighbour has told you and take the traces straight back to the singletree. I train and drive big horses as well.

Wrapping the traces around the shafts takes away the advantage of the singletree which is to help take some of the stress of the breastcollar away from the horses shoulders - rather than the breastcollar rubbing back and forth on every stride the singletree takes up the movement. I would disregard what your neighbour has told you and take the traces straight back to the singletree. I train and drive big horses as well.
That makes total sense, I will take them straight back next time I hook him up... I can't wait for the longer days, I only get to work him on the weekends b/c I leave and comeback home in the dark during the week.
default_wink.png
:

hehe i got a stud and cart for christmas too...sadly mine isnt as nice as yours is...mine is used but you and your lil guy look great together..

Oh what fun! You 2 look really good together and your horse looks terrific with the cart!

~Karen

i think some addittional fitting is needed on the bridle. the blinders should be up a little higher. In the pic they look like they are hanging low. I think if you adjust the bridle up he will close his mouth better.

i think some addittional fitting is needed on the bridle. the blinders should be up a little higher. In the pic they look like they are hanging low. I think if you adjust the bridle up he will close his mouth better.

THank you guys, I do have a geat husband. I will also make the cahnges to his bridle:)

I still have problems hooking up my two driving horses I've gotten someone to show me each time. Good thing I have horses that understand me and know I'm a little slow on these things. Wonderful Christmas present for sure and the horse is a cutie. I don't get to drive much have to compete with my child to do so. Have fun with the driving there's no other fun than that.

[SIZE=10pt]Nice cart and pretty horse - what FUN!! :aktion033: [/SIZE]

Lori

Latest posts

Back