Leading Unruly Weanling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acresaway

Reaction score
Hello -

I rescued a weanling colt a few months ago. He was not handled at all and you could not even get close enough to touch him. Now he accepts touch - my touch all time although still wary of anyone but me. I started by scratching him all over so he has no problem letting me handle any part of his body. He follows me like a dog in the paddock - I suppose his way of begging for scratches!

I have been working with leading him in his paddock. He still periodically stops but I wait and gently tug the lead rope until hes forward again.

I took him out of his pen for the second time (first time he followed me fine.. was strong and pulled me!) while he followed my friend leading my mare. She just grazed and I tried to lead him towards her and he started bucking. Definitely started as a "YAY! This is fun kick" and then he started pulling away and trying to run... he started KICKING out at me. I would yank his head and disengage his hindquarters and get that butt away from me. He continued to try to get away from me and kick out at me several times. He almost nailed me a few times. He settled down for a minute and he started kicking out at me again and trying to pull away.

How should I handle that situation? Did his baby brain go in overload or was he being a rotten brat?

Be careful yanking on his nose, as you could break it. Sounds as though you have some horse experience, though, since you know about disengaging the hind.

I would try moving into HIS space with power and authority. Raise your voice, stomp your feet, fling your arms--look and sound scary. I had a yearling colt rear up on me one time and I charged toward him yelling and he backed down in a hurry. He may be just a baby, but baby brats are annoying and dangerous.

Have you made an appointment with the vet for gelding?

Hello Marsha,

Yes I do have quite a bit of experience with horses but not too much with babies. I have two young Mustangs I have trained to ride and I have learned that its a whole different ball game with training and working with babies compared to your older sometimes stubborn horses!!!

Which is way I am asking for help - not sure what I should do in this situation as hes a baby - not a trained horse being a brat!

Thank you for the advice - that does make sense about showing my authority.

He will be gelding by March - that is for sure.

Great advice Marsha....just advance at him with authority till he backs up from you a reasonable amount at least 8-10 steps

then act as though nothing happened stay calm and continue what you were trying to do with him.

They can be strong and fast so be careful, he will learn your not to be played with and show some respect

You might try teaching him to stand tied. First you may want to use a longer line and just pass it around a post - I prefer a post at first because it allows that baby to move his feet more as he can circle the post. When he does just keep the post between you so he doesn't unwrap from the post. If he rears and pulls back you will be able to allow the rope to slide a bit and keep the pressure off his neck until he learns to accept that he must stand there. I have used an inner tube for the next step with the ones still likely to want to rear occasionally in the first days that I actually want to tie the lead (I fasten the tube to the post and then tie the horse's lead to the tube, allowing some give if he struggles) Once he understands about standing tied it should help with the inclination to try to run past you and pull away, making leading him easier.

Latest posts

Back