KUDOS to AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
OMG! SO Exciting! The best most consistent measuring I have EVER seen at a show!

Each of the Championship Shows and World will be,are being, measured by the same crew. And they are strongly holding to the rules. We had our own horses measured and I watched some other horses measuring as well as talking with many of the exhibitors. as you might expect,there were a few who were not happy with the measuring.

This has been a long time coming. If you feel that show measuring is important I hope you'll contact your director and let them know you support this program since I suspect there may be an effort to stop it.

We have heard comments that with measuring like this people are thinking they may come back to AMHA shows where the small farm can get a fair shake. It was very interesting watching the classes. In the past I've stood at ringside to watch a class and known the height of some of the horses and felt it pretty obvious that some horses had to be over the limit for that class. Not this show. Where I knew for sure the height of some of the horses being exhibited I had to think that the rest were pretty much where they should be.

Charlotte

This sounds fantastic!

Thanks so much for posting and letting us all know!

Susan O.

That is SOOOO nice to hear!!!! I think Western Regionals was the same. Sounds like a few horses measured out, but some I have seen and they seemed to be tall horses in person. Hopefully these people doing their jobs well didn't get harassed for doing it!

Had heard the measuring was tough - good!!!! I'm glad to hear that. It's about time the measuring is consistent - great idea having the same people measuring at all the shows. Keep up the good work AMHA!!!

Barbie

I heard the same thing, that several horses measured up into the next bracket and several horses had to go home.
default_yes.gif

I had the pleasure of being at the central show, as a spectator, for a few hours on Saturday and all I heard were HUGE compliments on the measuring!
aktion033.gif
People were saying it was the most HONEST measurement of their horses and CONSISTENT. One trainer who had many horses there told me every single horse measured within 1/8" at the show of what they did at home!
yes.gif
That's awesome! Sure a few people where ticked that their horse "measured out" but in my opinion, your horse didn't "measure out" unless it measured over 34". It may not have measured in the class you'd hoped, but you can still show. It's your own decision to not show at that point. And if it now means you have two horses in the same class, well then you either get a helper or one stays in their stall. That's not the show management's fault or AMHAs fault. That's just the facts!
wink.gif

Kudos to the BOD of AMHA!!!
aktion033.gif

Great News,
default_aktion033.gif
For some reason I can't start a new topic and I NEED URGENT HELP.My gelding has been seen on Fri&Sat by 2 different vets and is still not right.Very bad colic.Bad again today.I need to contact Bonnie Fogg to see if she can figure out what is going on with him.Vet call fee yesterday for emergency was $150 plus treatment.$235 total plus Fri vet bill.PLEASE someone send me e mailwith contact for Bonnie(preferably phone number) to [email protected] ASAP THANKS sorry for posting on this thread, but I am desperate-don't want to have to put him down.

It was just so refreshing to go to a show and feel like all of the horses were in the height classes they belonged in....to feel like every exhibitor out there was standing on a level playing field.

I hope someone who is going to exhibit at Eastern this week will come back with a report for us and hopefully a report as good. (Of course, if the measurers are as exhausted from last weekend's heat as this old girl is they may have trouble seeing the numbers on the stick!)

Charlotte

I was really happy to see consistent measuring straight across the board!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
It didn't matter what person, owner or trainer you were. All horses were measured the same.
default_yes.gif

To those who complained that they don't measure their horses at home and were shocked when they measured taller, well, shame on you! Why wouldn't you measure your horses at home? It's your responsibility to know how tall your horses are before going to a show. That way there will be no surprises at measuring.
default_yes.gif

To those who complained that they don't measure their horses at home and were shocked when they measured taller, well, shame on you! Why wouldn't you measure your horses at home? It's your responsibility to know how tall your horses are before going to a show. That way there will be no surprises at measuring.
default_yes.gif
I am glad to hear that measuring was strict and tight.

I am one of those people who no matter how many times I try and measure my horses I can never do it right. So I always enter the taller height category and if I move to a smaller one I am happy. If I have a horse that is really close or right at 34 I dont enter classes until they measure. Because sometimes my farrier doesnt take enough foot off they are feeling puffy or what ever.

My horses measure 1/2-1" at least TALLER at home for me than they seem to at the show.

I was there all days and heard different views but for the most part everyone was happy with the measuring. Good for AMHA for cracking down and maaking it fair for all

From what I saw, they were very consistant in the way they were measuring, not letting people spread the horse's legs to the sides, etc. They were also looking closely for the last mane hair as opposed to body hair left unclipped. I was happy with what I saw and in the way my own horses were measured. However, I am one that will move up or down the height classes without comment.

My friend is on that measuring team. I just called to relay the comments on this thread. Hearing the positive comments was helpful. It is not easy being the bearer of bad news, even if it is true.

I was there too, they were the same with everyone. That to me means a bunch the same for everyone. Thats all I ask for.

YEAH BABY!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I'm thrilled no end that the rules were follwed!

WHOOOO HOOO!!!

How wonderful this all important step has been taken!! Well done AMHA, Really hope this will also be enforced in europe at the shows run by those clubs enjoying "AMHA approval" since measuring rarely takes place at them at all!!!!!!
no.gif

How wonderful this all important step has been taken!! Well done AMHA, Really hope this will also be enforced in europe at the shows run by those clubs enjoying "AMHA approval" since measuring rarely takes place at them at all!!!!!!
no.gif

Pinkapache, that is very interesting. I don't see how a show for miniature horses can exist without measuring. Are there no classes with size breaks? I mean, like Senior Stallions 28" and Under, Senior Stallions 28" to 30"....etc. Of course, if a show doesn't have enough entries to make classes with size breaks then I would guess anything under 34" 'could' be put in one class. But you would still have to measure to be sure that all horses fit within the the height limit and the same for Junior horses....Yearlings must be under 32", Two year olds under 33"...etc.

I'm just wondering how AMHA approval is acquired regarding measuring.

Hmmm, something interesting to look into.

Charlotte

edited to add: Oh, I see. I misunderstood. The 'clubs' are AMHA approved clubs, but the shows aren't AMHA approved I bet. That could be why measuring isn't required.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back