KUDOS to AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is great, maybe other registeres can learn from this as well! I heard alot of positive comments about the measuring and heard that some were not happy.

I fully agree Charlotte, this is great news, as long as they continue to hold, steadfast, to their policies. Consistency is so needed and as badly as I hate it for those that either measured up or out, it's good that it was consistent for all. I feel for the measuring team because I heard that there were a lot of temper tantrums thrown.

A good friend, who also posted here, said it was great to look out at the classes and see consistent sizes in the classes. Well said.
default_aktion033.gif

Very well done, outstanding news!

An excellent "first step" and we all know that a journey of a thousand miles.....

As one who is very quick to take the AMHA to task for their shortcomings, I say a very heartfelt:

default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_488.gif
default_risa8.gif
WELL DONE AMHA
default_risa8.gif
default_488.gif

I think this will really help bring out more numbers, sure a few get measured out, but what about all the people that leave their horses at home cuz they know that even though they should be the taller of the class, end up being the smallest one. With the classes being so even, you have a chance with your smaller horse. It really was cool not seeing anyone that didnt belong in a class. Im anxious to hear how it goes today at Easterns.

I'm THRILLED to hear that there has apparently been a huge 'step in the right direction' made; however, I'd be interested in how many horses 'measured out'(over 34") and had their papers pulled, as is supposed to happen. Anyone know of a published list, or anecdotally, where this actually occurred?

Margo

Margo, I do know that there were a few horses that measured out of the show at both Western and Central Championship shows. However, show management does not pull papers. In the case of a young horse measuring out of a show, that horse may very well mature 34" or under, so it would be wrong to pull its' papers at a show. There is nothing I've seen in the rulebook regarding pulling papers at a show on an oversized horse. That is owner responsibility.

I wanted to add that horses' heights are posted by the show office at the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here are the numbers I have heard...these may be off by a little if you take into account my menory.

Central had around 230 horses entered. I heard at one time that 2 or 3 horses had measured out of the show. NOW, that doesn't mean they measured over 34 inches! We may be talking about an old weanling that was over 30" or a two year old that was over 33". What I do think I was seeing was that some horses measured UP a class. If they did, well so be it!

Our Under 28" yearling went up a class. We knew he would becuase we keep close track of the show horses...especially the youngsters. they GROW for Pete's sake. Our yearling grew over one inch in 4 weeks! So did a 2 year old. If anyone tells you a youngster can't grow that much in a short time period, well.......

Remember, horses grow in spurts. The yearling above may not grow anymore till next spring. the two year old may be finished growing. Time will tell.

Charlotte

What will happen to the senior horses,(I understand there were a few), that did measure over 34"? Is it policy that their papers are revoked? Very sad that they are suddenly no longer recognized. I understand the limitations of AMHA, but it's still sad.

Heather, as Becky said there are no rules regarding pulling papers because of a show measurement. There might be many reasons a borderline horse would measure over one time and not the next.

As I have said before, it was so refreshing to stand at ringside and watch classes where the horses were all in the correct size bracket. I sincerely hope there are enough people in favor of 'measuring by the rule' to keep this going.

Charlotte

Oh, I see. I misunderstood. The 'clubs' are AMHA approved clubs, but the shows aren't AMHA approved I bet. That could be why measuring isn't required.

Actualy there is an AMHA show in, I think, the Netherlands, but I dont know what the measuring is like there. There used to be measuring at the shows a few years back but havent seen any with the club that is now AMHA approved here in Ireland now. Lets hope AMHA will encourage associated clubs in other countries to take measuring more seriously! After all, minis are a height breed arent they?
laugh.gif
aktion033.gif

Just wondering if anyone has heard how it is going at Eastern regionsls. I did talk to one person there and he said it is tough.

Barbie

Oh, I see. I misunderstood. The 'clubs' are AMHA approved clubs, but the shows aren't AMHA approved I bet. That could be why measuring isn't required.

Actualy there is an AMHA show in, I think, the Netherlands, but I dont know what the measuring is like there. There used to be measuring at the shows a few years back but havent seen any with the club that is now AMHA approved here in Ireland now. Lets hope AMHA will encourage associated clubs in other countries to take measuring more seriously! After all, minis are a height breed arent they?
laugh.gif
aktion033.gif
All AMHA horses are strictly measured, both for their classes and for eligibility, at the Miniature Horse Club of Great Britain (MHCGB) shows.

What will happen to the senior horses,(I understand there were a few), that did measure over 34"? Is it policy that their papers are revoked? Very sad that they are suddenly no longer recognized. I understand the limitations of AMHA, but it's still sad.
Yes, some of these horses might very well get a "normal" trim, and be legal, others...well, I have sadly read here on this Forum, of bloody-soled horses being almost the "norm".

As for those that are over the 34" limit...it has ALWAYS been sad they have outgrown their papers. I am one who is all for ending up with a miniature horse BREED, not just "a bunch of horses-n-ponies that measured in".

KUDOS to the AMHA for FINALLY getting it done RIGHT!

Latest posts

Back