Kidney failure in my mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Stac for it being such a long year for you & prays coming to Sonata for a quick recovery & knowledge of what happened.

2009 can not end quick enough. Hope her foal makes her proud for many safe years to come.

Prayers for your mare. I hope she fights this off and lives many more happy years with you guys. Hoping for good news tomorrow.

Hi All

Today's update is pretty much the same news. We cut Sonata's IV fluids back yesterday, her numbers pretty much remain unchanged. She is bright, eating, drinking, pooping, pretty much acting normal. So it she is comming out of ICU and I will take her home and see what plays out. The vet's are all still quite pessimistic about her future, but I remain hopeful that I can provide her a pain free quality life - at least for as long as possible (maybe these whacky numbers are just "normal" for her - who knows for sure!).

Whatever damage has been done to her kidney's is irreversible, so should she show signs of slipping downhill and discomfort, the sad decision to have her put down will have to be made - at least at home she will be surrounded with familiar things, her horsey friends and Guy & I who will all take the most humane care of her as possible.

Loving animals can be so painful at times, and yet they bring us so much joy - what a teeter totter.

Thank you all for your support and prayers - it means more than you will ever know.

Stacy

Bless you for taking such good care of your little girl...I'm glad she's coming home with you, so you can take care of her at your home.

Liz R.

Stacy,

I've been reading about your mare the past couple of days, and I want to wish for you a most successful outcome. I have been dealing with almost exactly the same thing with a 15 y.o. mare, and my vet was doing almost exactly the same treatment. He said that if she were a human, she would be put on dialysis, as her kidney function was only 75%. After a few days in the hospital undergoing IV fluids, her numbers improved and the vet let me take her home. He said I could do the all other treatments just as well as he could.

After several days, she started just picking with food, then stopped eating entirely. On Sunday morning, she made that sad decision for us. We had already talked about taking her in on Monday as we didn't want her suffering. I talked to her Saturday night and told her she could go if she wanted to -- that 2 of her sisters would meet her on the "bridge."

Guess that sounded good to her.

Sounds like your mare being younger may well have a better chance to pull through this ordeal. Certainly if she keeps eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing, the odds will be with her. I send my hugs and prayers to you and your mare during this difficult time.

Rita

I wish you well with the outcome of your mare, I know all too well about giving the precious horse every chance of pulling out a successful end to their problem. She could very well overcome this and I applaud you for your efforts to give her the chance. I remember well and have admired your beautiful Rose from afar, I saw her picture some years ago in the magazine, and recognized right away this was the type of mare I would want to own. So, I can understand very well you wanting to save the last link to her as long as humanely possible. Prayers for her.

I have not had any experience with cronic kidney failure in horses but have had experience over the years with cats and dogs.

we were able to extend a quality life for several months using sub-Q fluid treatments. I am not sure how practical it would be with a horse but I would think it could work.

We also had a cat that was in acute kidney failure that made a 100% turn around after a week of IV fluids. I would drop him off at the vets each morning and pick him up each afternoon.

This was 2 yrs ago and he is still going strong at almost 15yrs old.

I think as long as they are fighting there is always hope.

Oh Stacy, glad she's well enough to come home - and will hold out hope that she turns around. Did your vet express any interest in using the uva ursi leaves? Hang in there Sonata
default_pray.gif

Rita, sorry to hear about your mare.....

Jan

Hi All

Rita - I am so sorry to hear about your mare - we don't know specifically how much of Sonata's kidneys are functioning right now - the vet's are guessing that she is operating at about 25% - which may be OK for her - each individual is unique in what they can personally handle - obviously it isn't good, but just HOW bad it is still remains to be seen. Vets are so pessimistic, the vets at the clinic are very careful about how they word things - they know me, but not as well as my "regular vet" - he pretty much laid it on the line: She has kidney failure Stacy, if she were a human she would be on dyalisis and on the list for a kidney transplant". Well obviously that isn't going to happen, so we just wait to see how she tolerates not being on IV's and being home. Even on IV's if her kidneyrs really have failed to the point of not working, then toxins will eventually build up and she will for sure die - obviously I am hoping that she has enough reserve to be able to fight thru this.

I can pretty much guarantee you that I am going to lose it tonight when I bring her home and she gets to greet her little daughter - that is going to be enough for my dam to break.

Thank you all for all your well wishes, inspiration, ideas, prayers & support - I knew I could count on you even tho reading each post brings new tears to my eyes.

Stacy

I was so hoping for better news. My heart breaks for you as it so reminds me of when we lost Tiny. No one ever could figure out what happened even with the autopsy.

Sending more prayers

Kay

I wish I could be with you tonight, to lend you a shoulder to cry on and a warm hug. But I'll be with you and your girl in spirit.

{{{Hugs}}}

Stacy-

I am so glad she is coming home to her little daughter and you. Who knows what the future holds, but I'm hoping she can have a good long life. I know your heart has to be breaking - let those tears come. Vets don't know it all - miracles do happen and maybe she'll tolerate the lack of kidney function. It's tough, no doubt about it.

Wish I was close enough to give you a hug, but this will have to do ((((HUGS)))).

Barbie

My thoughts are with you. Hope her kidneys continue to recover enough to keep her healthy for many years to come.

Oh Stacy, I wish the news was better. These little ones are fighters though and at our hospital I have seen many animals turn around that looked hopeless! Lots of healing thoughs and prayers for you and Sonata.

Stacy, I am sorry this is happening, I've been sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way.

Sometimes things can rebound, I understand the thought of you prepairing yourself for the worst.

As far as people go, My Grandmother had horrible creatiine levels, was a DNR DNI and had a very large bowl obstruction after a hip surgery, dyalisis wasn't really an option either, well, she passed the obstruction, and made it out of the hospital, we did her physical therapy at home, that was 1.5 years ago, She'll be 98 in February and was recently dismissed from the Hospice program (she was a patient listed as "failure to thrive, believed that she would wither away to nothing). Her weight and blood levels have been slowly but stedily improving. Someties things do turn around. It isn't always easy taking care of my Grandmother, the doctors swear she is part cat, she is on life number 4 or 5 now we lost count, LOL.

Hang in there.

Stacy, best of luck and good wishes to your little Sonata. Her story breaks my heart. I so hope she overcomes this and has many happy years to go!

You sure are fighting it with her and giving her every chance!!

Back