Kidney failure in my mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is so hard - I am at work, but the attendents at the clinic tell me that Sonota ate most of her hay and grain, she seems brite, is pooping and urinating, heavily hydrated from the IV, and she is talking to the other horse down the aisle - and yet, she is very, very ill according to all her chart numbers. The vets tell me that it is not uncommon to see a "rally" like this, but that in all liklihood she will relapse and we will be on the roller coaster again. I hope they are WRONG WRONG WRONG -- I will for sure do whatever it takes to save her as long as her quality of life isn't compromised. For now, it is still a "wait and see".

I will be heading out to visit her and take her for a walk on the grass - I will check back later tonight with an update.

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR THOUGHTS, ADVISE & PRAYERS -- SONOTA AND I TRULY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU DURING THIS DIFFICULT TIME. ((((( ))))))

Stacy

Stacy, I'm SO sorry!!
default_sad.png
We've been through this too and it's so very hard. I PRAY the outcome for your girl is better than ours was.

{{{hugs}}}

Stacy I'm sorry. I know how you adore your mares. I lost my old pony to Kidney combined with Liver problems many years ago. He was hooked up to IV's and I think one of them was DMSO, not sure if that was right or wrong. His gums and eyes were yellow. Not that I know anything much, but I would not overlook the use of activated charcoal for something poisonous even though you already ruled out leaves, maybe check for acorns, just an idea. Activated charcoal never hurts just in case. Again I am so sorry and hope she can recover from this very soon.

Oh Stacy, I'm so sorry. I know it's especially hard because it is Rose's daughter. Wish I could offer some insight but I haven't crossed this particular bridge. We had an older mare go into liver failure a few years ago very suddenly but the situation was very different from what you face. I agree with Marty, activated charcoal probably wouldn't hurt and might be something to try if you suspect a toxin. We saved a mare with it this spring who had ingested - we think - a concentration of weedkiller. Crossing my fingers for a good outcome, please keep us posted.

Jan

Hi All

Well it is very frustrating - I would challenge anyone to look at this mare and suggest that she is near death according to the numbers! She is bright, active, vocal, she is eating what she is given and I took her for a walk on the grass and she pretty much ate non-stop for at least 20 minutes and then dragged me all over the place - certainly nothing to indicate that she is so sick. Back in her stall at the clinic she was making laps in her stall and wringing her neck in frustration of being locked up again - she made good and sure that the entire hospital knows how she feel about it and the sign on her door says: "Be sure to latch this door - mare is an escape artist!" So for now we wait, she will keep her IV in overnight and tomorrow we will run her "numbers" again - at that point I will need to decide if I keep her on the IV's longer and then pull them the next day - obviously she cannot live her life on an IV, so if she cannot maintain her levels without it, we may be heading down a difficult path. HOWEVER, I had a nice long talk with her, just as I have had with some of my other minis in desperate situations, and told her she needs to fight for life - she heard me loud and clear, so let's just hope that she is able to beat this thing.

Again, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart - and keep those positive feelings flowing - hopefully Sonata will do her part and fight thru this thing -

Stacy

She is bright, active, vocal, she is eating what she is given and I took her for a walk on the grass and she pretty much ate non-stop for at least 20 minutes and then dragged me all over the place - certainly nothing to indicate that she is so sick.
Ah yes - I know that grass well...
default_wink.png

Here's hoping that Sonata overcomes The Numbers and rallies.
default_pray.gif

The words I could not remember when we talked were pyrrolizidine alkaloid poisoning... occurring from tansy ragwort. The alkaloids in the plant cause cumulative liver damage... and symptoms may not appear for up to a year. The mini I worked with eventually had his entire system start to shut down - kidneys next after his liver. I tubed him for a couple of weeks to keep him going. Then the neurological stuff started to show up...
default_no.gif

But the alkaloid levels would/should show up in any tests... it was very clear what was wrong with that poor guy.

We'll be thinking good thoughts...
default_yes.gif

Stacy

I would ask the hospital to walk her on grass 4 times per day. I have seen that turn around many mares. OSU did it for Fran and I swear it saved that mare.

Kay

Hoping to hear some good news today.....keeping the prayers
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
coming your way........

Stacy, how is she? I'm off work the next couple of days and could go visit her at Pilchuck and take her for a walk if you'd like. They're not far from my house, maybe 15 minutes.

Leia

Hi All

Status quo - I wish that her "numbers" had improved vastly overnight with the continued IV therapy, however they are not much different. We will cut her IV fluids back today to see if her numbers remain unchanged, or go up or down -- creatinine going up is bad - that would mean that without IV therapy she would unlikely be able to survive and even with continued IV therapy she would eventually succumb to secondary issues since her kidneys are truly not functioning and flushing her system of calcium, protien, etc.

Of course the vets are still quite pessimistic about her longterm future, but we are hanging in there and will begin some herbal therapy that has proven to help other horses in a similar situation.

Leia, thank you very much for your generous offer - if you are feeling like getting wet, I will let the gals at Pilchuck know that Sonata will be having "callers" to take her for some walks.

Thanks again everyone - mini folks are truly the best . . .

Stacy

No problem Stac, I'll be getting wet with my own boys anyway. That's why God made umbrellas! *LOL* I think I'll load the boys in the trailer and head to Pilchuck tomorrow to get weights on everybody and take Sonata for a walk. Kody and Turbo can play in the arena while she gets some lovin'.

Leia

Stacy, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. You were so wonderful to me when we were going through everything with Soldier and Jedi. Thoughts and prayers for Sonata's recovery.

Stacy,

I am so sorry to read that your mare is having problems with her kidneys. Why is it always the ones that are the most important to us?
default_no.gif

I hope everything goes well.

Just read this post and I am SO sorry to hear about your wonderful little mare having this terrible problem!!! I am hoping that somehow, some way, she pulls through this. Doesnt sound like she is ready to give up by any means, so no matter what the vets say now, dont give up on her yet!!! I think SHE will tell you when it's time to let go.

I have had NO experience with this either, and sure hope something works for her..... you must be worried sick. I am sure the walks out do her a lot of good too.... just a chance to get out, move around, the human companionship, etc.... Love the sign on her door!

I know you will keep us posted, but sending prayers that your little gal pulls through!!!

Praying for a good update on Sonata!! Get well soon girl.

Barbie

Latest posts

Back