Kacie's Pregnancy Watch Has Started

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4/1/2022 morning check found Kacie's udder has thickened a little farther toward the front;, The rear part is not thicker. Stripping the teats found the ends dry. Looks like she will get past the cold snap. It is 32F with wind now that is bone chilling to me for some reason. Maybe I should dress warmer? :) :)^D

Out side working on drive ruts and some gate issues. Chore time coming up and I decided to check Kacie before I came in to warm up. Her udder has thickened more since this morning. Her teats are still dry. I hope now she can hold out until after Sunday where the forecast is above freezing forward for several days. I might go out before I turn in for the night and check again.

Last edited:
For those that are following Kacie's baby watch, she is real close this morning. Her udder was filled more this morning but not filled out and her teats stripped dry. She still stood still to be checked but as soon as I stood up to brush her more she became slightly antsy rather stand as if she was asleep. Foal is still active and at times she shows her discomfort. She could foal any time or several days. My guess is one or two days. I have had mares strip dry and just a few hours later foal and have milk for the foal. No below freezing nights forecast for the next 9 days which makes me feel better about her foaling with me not there. I have always tried to have my mares foal in June when the cold weather is not a problem.

I made a couple video's of Kacie last night along with two of me spreading fertilize and hay seed. With out slow upload speed it will be a while before I can post any of them. Kacie was so uncomfortable I watched her for some time. I concluded that she was not in any pain and stopped the video. I still watched her a while longer. She started to eat hay stopped pulling her belly up and dropping it so I turned the camera back on for a bit. When I viewed the videos her actions didn't look as dramatic as I could see. I could hear her breathing was normal, she would stand with the weight off one hoof and after a few minutes would switch hoofs. She also put her forehead against my leg while scratched between her ears where I had clipped her. The foal was not real active in that time and I could feel the foal by pressing hard. Her udder was slightly firmer but not filled out.
My check this morning her udder was slightly firmer and still stripped dry.

4/4/2022 Morning Kacie check found her udder about the same with her teats stripping dry except the teats were thicker almost as though the could have had milk in them. The clock is still ticking.

Late night check with Kacie acting strange. I think she was just bothered by the movement of the foal. I am behind several videos because of the slow upload. One 6-minute video took 32 hours. This one was over 18 hours.

How is everyone this morning? When all is well, barns are so peaceful at night aren’t they?
Thanks for asking!
You sure are correct! I also find it peaceful in the daytime and a great place to set a visit with a friend. The back of what I call the barn is at the edge of a slight hill on the West side of the building. In the heat of the summer we have a breeze that feels cool blowing thru. You can sit and lose track of time. I find it a good place to talk to God and thank him for blessings that most will never receive. There I go again!
Kacie is happy in her clean pen with nothing really changed in the last 24 hours. She was vocal when I wheeled thru the door. Her way of saying where is my hay.

Yes to everything you said Dickel ! ☺ Love the video. Our horses and many other animals prove over and over how willing they are.💕

They don’t actually have to ‘do’ anything to be loved and valued, though I may not let Tinker know that as he can be a bit of a stinker. 🥰

Latest posts

Back