Julep Cup

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millstone Farm

Reaction score
I was wondering how many horses were there this weekend, since it is usually one of the largest AMHA shows.

Hi!

I was there; it was our first time for the Julep Cup. It's a fantastic show - very well run, TONS of competition. I don't know if this is official, but the number I heard was 200 head and that the show usually has closer to 400. I know for me personally, aside from National or World, it was the most competative show I've been to. I saw very few people who were there without trainers. Even most of the ammys that were there had their trainer there also.

The Kentucky Horse Park is beautiful and the campground is the nicest I've ever seen. Just a wonderful experience all around!
default_aktion033.gif

We went just to watch and see the horsepark and I've got to agree that the competition was fantastic! There were tons of beautiful horses, especially in the driving classes. It seems to be one of the few shows that is much like a scaled-down Worlds or Nationals, it was well-ran (Laura Mullen always does great!), the facility is amazing, and the horses were gorgeous. The Horse Park is absolutely spectacular and has got to be the prettiest one I've seen so far
default_yes.gif

Jennifer,

The Julep cup had 199 horses. It is way down from years before but still up in relation to others shows around the country this year. From what I have heard it was definately larger than what we can expect from all the Championship shows. It definately was a mini Nationals ! This year all the "little people" are not showing much. It is a shame. The largest class in the show is the Mid- America's "I wanna show a horse class" where we allow anyone from the spectators to come down and we loan them horse and a coach to show. We had something like 19 people that came down. They all got a ribbon and a glass goblet.

The only "glitch" in the show was when the "Carriage club" (who were also having a show on the grounds) parked two big teams of horse in our holding area and wouldn't leave. We decided to go on with the show and when our Single pleasure driving class was called into the ring and the our horses began to move, the Carriage teams decided to leave. They almost ran over our SPD mare and it took her a while to calm down- certainly messed up her run in the class.

The Ky Horse Park is undergoing massive renovations as they are preparing for the 2010 Equine games that will be there. That should be something spectacular. !!

I just wanted to share how I did at the Julep Cup, with the horses I showed. I had a busy week and only took two horses, I took 8 to the last show so I had a light load and a lot of fun visiting with everyone. Here are my results:

Nostalgias Shake the Money Maker:

AOTE Jr. Stallions - 3 firsts

Amateur Jr. Stallions 30-33" level 2 - 1, 3, and another 3 (I think)

2 yr. old stallions 29-31" - 1, 4, 5 (I think lol)

Grand Champion Jr. Stallions (under one judge)

and.... SUPREME Halter (under one judge) - the beautiful filly from Alliance won the other two Supremes
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

Nostalgias Spending Money

won Reserve Champion Sr. Stallion!!!

He did really well in Amateur too - 1,2,3

The Julep Cup is a great show with lots of incredible competition - and it is superbly run!!! The facility is wonderful as well - everything you could want or need and then some.

I just had Shannon take picutres of these two horses, along with others... check them out!

Nostalgias Shake the Money Maker - Pictures

Nostalgias Spending Money - Pictures

See all the pictures of some of our show horses and some of our foals!!!

Hope you enjoy!

Thanks,

Natalie

I was there!!! We did pretty good with our horses!! I am VERY proud to say that my yearling stallion,Little King's Bay Mont Buckeroo got 3 firsts (out of 3 judges!!) in the liberty class(There were 19 horses in the class!!) I am super pumped to show him at the World Show in Liberty and Youth Liberty!!! The rest of our little ones did well also, but I am tired and can't remember what placings in what classes!! It overall was an AWESOME show!! There was a adoption booth thingy setup there and they had the CUTEST corgi pomeranian puppies!! I wanted one SOOO bad, but never even asked my mom b/c I knew the answer was now!! Amelia Lee P.S. Natalie's horses did awesome!! They are gorgeous!!

Thanks Amelia! I absolutely love your driving horse Sundial! He is awesome - I tried to talk my sister in law out of selling him when she joined the military, but no such luck
default_sad.png
He went to a great home though and I am glad to see your family enjoy him and do quite well with him
default_aktion033.gif

Natalie

Yes!! We were all surprised she sold him!!! We thought she might let her parents keep him but oh well..we are happy!!!!Amelia

Glad to hear the Julep Cup still had such a strong turnout. I heard Estes Park had only around 40 horses this year. Does anyone know if the Horse Park will host the Julep Cup next year? When they first started their renovations I was told there would be no shows there until after the World Equestrian Games were held. It's been quite a few years since I went to the Julep Cup -- but it sure was wonderful!

Latest posts

Back