Mini bitten

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoahG

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This one's a little urgent. Yesterday Winston had a little bump on his lip and I assumed he was just stung by a bee or maybe bit by an ant. Today however the bump is showing exposed tissue and oozing blood. No fever. He's interested in his food and is his usual friendly self. Is this worth calling the vet on a weekend over?
Photos about 16 hours apart.
--Noah

Attachments

• 20240223_162951.jpg
    20240223_162951.jpg
    1,007 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240224_082345.jpg
    20240224_082345.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
What could cause that bite beyond a bee? I would call the vet and see what they think necessary.

Do you have spiders or insects that are venomous in your area?

Believe me, I understand not calling out the vet if you can avoid it, but as the bite has worsened over time, their input may be necessary.

My first thought was spider. I live in New England so different kinds of bugs here, but I have had horses bitten by other spiders and they can have a nasty bite. I had one pony covered in welts from a spider bite on his belly. I was bitten on my head by one and it took months to heal. Good luck with your boy, hope he's better this afternoon.

My first thought was spider. I live in New England so different kinds of bugs here, but I have had horses bitten by other spiders and they can have a nasty bite. I had one pony covered in welts from a spider bite on his belly. I was bitten on my head by one and it took months to heal. Good luck with your boy, hope he's better this afternoon.
It stabbed up nice and isn't bleeding anymore. Looks like he had rubbed it and made it bleed right before I saw him that morning.

I'm a little late since it's already scabbed up, but my guess would have been that whatever it was itched and he rubbed it open. I'd probably put some kind of ointment on it and keep an eye out. But I don't think I'd call the vet unless it started to get worse.

Hi, I hope the bite is healing with no side effects. Something to ask your vet, if you can text pictures of any issue you are not sure about. Some vets are open to this. I hope there will not be another issue. :)

Yeah it looks like he just rubbed it open he's looking great today. As to texting my vet I've been asked not to text them on weekends unless it's an emergency.

Latest posts

Back