It past time for horse slaughter to end

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
name='shminifancier' date='Feb 18 2006, 07:36 PM' post='566650']AMEN SISTER! Thats what i wish people would do, and its not a hard task. Been trying to say this the whole time
default_yes.gif
:

Well for one thing, there is not enough people to adopt the few Mustangs each year,, How in the world can enough people be found to adopt out 80,000 or more each and every year that are going to slaughter 30,000 of which are PMU Babies~! Hmmmmm.. There are just so many people that can adopt horses, And with this many coming unto the scene, there are Not enough that can or will adopt that many.. Unless those 9.5 million people DO adopt a horse... But Like I said before those that want slaughter to stop Built at the minimum 10 Extra stalls and go after each and every one of them. Then with No supply the Processing houses having No Product to use will close ALL by themselves.. Ya right That won't happen in a blue moon... People talk but 98% do NO action to take in unwanted horses..Those that do MY Hat is off to you..But it takes more then a few to handle this problem that the Horse industry has brought on themselves Each and Every Breed~! Minis included~!
let me help you with this.......the actual number of slaughter horses is more like 25,000 per year...so if 9.5 million were to actually act...hang on doing the calculator here.........that would be according to my calculator 316 yrs.....assuming the numbers remained the same...since horse slaughter numbers have been decreasing ....wellll you see where this goes..........so if every one of those activists (in name only) bought/adopted a horse destined for slaughter for the next 316 yr's ther would be no horse slaughter............wow problem solved
default_rolleyes.gif
: sadly the truth is most these people do not want to actually DO something they just want some podium to bitch at
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
:
Who did you say was bitchin? :lol I love a good spirited discussion & I love the exchanging of ideas. It is not like we are getting paid for being called names or enjoy evil minded insults.. Mona

Last edited by a moderator:
name='shminifancier' date='Feb 18 2006, 07:36 PM' post='566650']AMEN SISTER! Thats what i wish people would do, and its not a hard task. Been trying to say this the whole time
default_yes.gif
:

Well for one thing, there is not enough people to adopt the few Mustangs each year,, How in the world can enough people be found to adopt out 80,000 or more each and every year that are going to slaughter 30,000 of which are PMU Babies~! Hmmmmm.. There are just so many people that can adopt horses, And with this many coming unto the scene, there are Not enough that can or will adopt that many.. Unless those 9.5 million people DO adopt a horse... But Like I said before those that want slaughter to stop Built at the minimum 10 Extra stalls and go after each and every one of them. Then with No supply the Processing houses having No Product to use will close ALL by themselves.. Ya right That won't happen in a blue moon... People talk but 98% do NO action to take in unwanted horses..Those that do MY Hat is off to you..But it takes more then a few to handle this problem that the Horse industry has brought on themselves Each and Every Breed~! Minis included~!
let me help you with this.......the actual number of slaughter horses is more like 25,000 per year...so if 9.5 million were to actually act...hang on doing the calculator here.........that would be according to my calculator 316 yrs.....assuming the numbers remained the same...since horse slaughter numbers have been decreasing ....wellll you see where this goes..........so if every one of those activists (in name only) bought/adopted a horse destined for slaughter for the next 316 yr's ther would be no horse slaughter............wow problem solved
default_rolleyes.gif
: sadly the truth is most these people do not want to actually DO something they just want some podium to bitch at
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
:
Who did you say was bitchin? :lol I love a good spirited discussion & I love the exchanging of ideas. It is not like we are getting payed for being called names or enjoy evil minded insults.. Mona
so...are you saying that actual facts are going to beat propoganda?

Or is it when you are confronted by more information you just clam up?

Do not think that those of us on this forum are a bunch of stupid pawns who will do the bidding of some group of propoganda freaks......I have been here a very long time and learned that most of the visitors to this forum are smart, interested in facts, and not likely to follow the majority "just cuz"
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

default_yes.gif
:

default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
:
Who did you say was bitchin? :lol I love a good spirited discussion & I love the exchanging of ideas. It is not like we are getting payed for being called names or enjoy evil minded insults.. Mona
so...are you saying that actual facts are going to beat propoganda?

Or is it when you are confronted by more information you just clam up?

Do not think that those of us on this forum are a bunch of stupid pawns who will do the bidding of some group of propoganda freaks......I have been here a very long time and learned that most of the visitors to this forum are smart, interested in facts, and not likely to follow the majority "just cuz"
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
I am a MEMBER of this forum too. This is the most WONDERFUL,FANTASTIC ,INTELLIGENT group of folks I have ever had the pleasure of knowing . I love the great knowledge that is here, the unconditional love that is given freely here.You speak for yourself but not for everyone. They all have their own voice which I respect very much. I have given you true facts and figures but you have to read them know it. I stand solidly by my words. Ramona

Gyspyheart - you can keep posting links ad nauseum - but they do not tell the facts behind the sensationalist angles... or bother with actual numbers - as runamuk told you.

And regarding the Premarin industry.....The World SPCA has LOADS of proof of these poor animals and the way they are kept.......its hideous!!!
WRONG. Most of the myths you read about PMU ranches are CRAP. They also police themselves very well. I used to go on rounds with a vet - we stopped in unannounced at PMU farms for inspections (as is required for all ranches) ... where mares clamoured to get back inside from their turnouts (yes - they had regular turnout) ... where no mares were stressed or had harness rubs/sores....where barns were the cleanest I have ever seen.... where mares laid in deep straw beds and snored in peaceful slumber.... where no foals were born in the snow on the cruel prairies... where no mares had water rationed (at all)... but of course - none of that is sensational enough. Yes - the industry can be phased out... but very slowly. Where do you think all those mares are going to go?? Oh - and 30,000 PMU babies are not slaughtered each year. That would be... impossible. At last count there were only 7,000 mares involved in the industry - and less each year. Last time I checked, mares did not have litters...
default_wink.png
:

Slaughterhouses. Sad to say - thanks to us - they are a necessary evil. And unfortunately for the sensational-minded - horses are not bled out alive, kicking and writhing on the hoist. That would be dangerous, you see. No horse is taken out of those chutes alive... unless the workers are all imbeciles. All these places are inspected. A friend worked at a very modern plant in Alberta - and I actually took a tour of the place. Horses were dispatched quickly - and never had time to panic. If occasionally one freaks out and needs an extra bolt, that is the exception - except, of course - we are led to believe it is the norm.

I have related all these tales in similar threads - only to be shot down and flamed ... so I am leery of it now. Firsthand eyewitness accounts count for nothing against websites that perpetuate the same myths over and over again. It is not the slaughterhouses that are the problem... transport needs to be fixed. The horses in the feedlot at the plant I visited were well fed, sorted out in appropriate groups - and very well cared for - better than four horses just down the road from me here.

Leanna - for someone who has no trouble taking horses to the auction mart, I am not sure how you can really rant about it. I know you are young - but you need to look at the big picture sometimes. Yes, thousands of Thoroughbreds do go for slaughter. Even with the work of Rerun and other TB placement groups. And no, 25 foals are not arriving here, either - before you ask.

And most of the horses that wind up in those feedlots/slaughterhouses/trucks... are unwanted in the end.

I too love a good debate but throwing a bunch of links at me is not debate.

First off we raise beef cattle (sshhh for slaughter) and either the feedlot in question is run by a bunch of morons or the story has been contorted a bit. Animals do not thrive in a filthy, packed environment hence the rate of gain is going to be stunted, not a wise business approach. Animals living in those types of conditions are generally more susceptible to sickness and disease, again not a wise business move. All feedlots that I know of (cattle, hogs, etc) can only house a certain number of animals going by their square footage and size of their lagoon. (All commercial feedlots around here have their own waste disposal system) Violating their approved numbers cost them a decent size fine and most have a very small profit margin per head so any fine is a problem.

Blood from the plant clogging drains??? We have a small local processing plant here in town and we are good friends with the owner. They have a series of traps in which collects the blood so none actually goes into the system. (Same for the local vet clinic.) The town regularly checks the water for blood at the water plant, no problems.

I met a gentleman who has started running a horse feedlot (think the man is a jack@$$ but that's not the point). His horses are grouped in pens according to their needs and all are vaccinated. All are healthy and happy as that is what it takes to make an animal grow and gain which is the point of a feedlot. Would he sell to someone stopping in wanting one?? YOU BET, the biggest reason being that he can get more money from someone wanting the horse for a pet or mount than he can for slaughter. We are also in a pretty rural area so he doesn't have to worry about people "picketing". Sorry but so many non-slaughter people have such a reputation that makes many people decide it just easier NOT to deal with resale.

I find the idea of "kill buyers getting first pick of the horses’ ridicules as well. Kill buyers do not pay top dollar so why on earth would the sale barn let the "cheapskates" set the market. Not only that but where are the owners in all this? Last horse sale I went to the horses were bought through the ring not in the back room.

I grew up in the backyards of sale barns and yes know many kill buyers, all I know also deal in riding horses. Two of the biggest in my area are highly sought out for performance animals (funny thing is they sell mostly to people who wouldn't be caught dead buying from an auction.
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) They also buy a lot of horses that run through loose with no history but have the "look" of a rider and will buy them and give them a chance.

Hey those of you still reading my "book" way to go. :aktion033:

My point is not that you are wrong in your opinion of the slaughter industry but many of your facts just do not compute.

Cattle are killed in the same manner and yes I have a huge problem with oh it's ok for Bessie but not for Dobin. If you are in an uproar about the "supposed" horses being conscious when their throat is cut why are you not upset about kosher meat? The ONLY way that is prepared is by blessing the animal and slitting the throat and letting it bleed to death, no stun gun.

I'm sure some kills go wrong, human error and all. BUT they can and do happen anywhere. Sitting at the local vet clinic the Rendering Truck came to pick up a pony that the vet had euthanized before leaving for a farm call. Long story short the pony was not dead, had come enough out of it that he was rolled up and starting to look around. Wouldn't that have made a disgusting video if the truck had been earlier and he would have actually loaded the pony thinking him passed. :smileypuke:

I think it is very noble to take up the "unwanted" horse cause but you are chasing the wrong end in my opinion. Stopping slaughter will lead to dumping of unwanted animals. Look how many cats and dogs are dumped every year and there are shelters for those!

I believe that debate can bring change and would welcome it.

Most horses that go to auction, at the auctions i've been to ARE NOT wild unruly animals. I could probaly lead one around the block 10x.

..i wasnt talking about the PMU

NOW ...

Leanna - for someone who has no trouble taking horses to the auction mart, I am not sure how you can really rant about it. I know you are young - but you need to look at the big picture sometimes. Yes, thousands of Thoroughbreds do go for slaughter. Even with the work of Rerun and other TB placement groups. And no, 25 foals are not arriving here, either - before you ask.
I do NOT sell at auctions, just because i KNOW i can find a good horse at an auction does not mean that i would even think about selling there!!!. Since i buy at auctions sometimes then I MUST sell there apparently i guess since i guess you would know! I dont know where you get that idea from Tagalong. Having sold one horse (that technically wasnt even mine, it was my dads/sisters i just rode it) at a auction, that has NO meat horses that is Normally a Thoroughbred racing auction or Standardbred auction ....DOES NOT mean that i sell there.

Also, Tagalong ..i never said anything about wild mustang babies. There are many perfectly saine Mini's & Horses that you could find. I'm sure there are some Thoughtful loving homes out there who have more then enouph money to buy thouthand dollar show horses, that i know would be happy to take home/rescue a nice mini that ended up in the wrong place. Maybe your not one of those homes, but no ones asking anything of you.

But horse slaughter, im hoping, is here to stay. I'd hate to see what happened to SOME horses if they didnt have slaughter.

....But do NOT throw accusations at me!

I think we need some people to fight for some of these horses. Even though i know slaughter needs to stay ...i dont think i will ever completely agree with it.

I find the idea of "kill buyers getting first pick of the horses’ ridicules as well. Kill buyers do not pay top dollar so why on earth would the sale barn let the "cheapskates" set the market. Not only that but where are the owners in all this? Last horse sale I went to the horses were bought through the ring not in the back room.
I grew up in the backyards of sale barns and yes know many kill buyers, all I know also deal in riding horses. Two of the biggest in my area are highly sought out for performance animals (funny thing is they sell mostly to people who wouldn't be caught dead buying from an auction. ) They also buy a lot of horses that run through loose with no history but have the "look" of a rider and will buy them and give them a chance.
Exactly right, sdminis. The "dealers" will not pay top dollar - only what meat price is going for that week - they do NOT have first pick. And they wpuld sell horses from the feedlot (often better cared for than the original owners could be bothered to do... ) for those who come shopping at the plant - and many did. There were two young guys who worked at the large plant in our area who tried out the rideable horses ... and then they were RE-sorted out into other pens according to temperament and training.

Most horses that go to auction, at the auctions i've been to ARE NOT wild unruly animals. I could probaly lead one around the block 10x.
Some are, some aren't. I used to see scenes like 12 yearlings - not from PMU barns - but from some ignorant guy's back field - herded into the ring, never touched, never handled, panicked... well, winter was coming and he never got around to dealing with them so why feed the suckers through the winter? Why bother? Jerk.

We attended the big horse sales in the area every month... looking for lesson horses... (and we found some wonderful horses that way) ... and I never had any contempt for the auction mart. Or the dealers. Nope. They are doing their job. And no - the dealers there did not use the double-decker cattle liners to haul...

Anyway - my disgust was reserved for the basic horse owner... who saw nothing wrong with flipping two thin old mares through the sale - and using that money to snap up a scared filly to take home and "breed". Or who had fat, cresty, on the verge of founder old Blackie lumber into the ring - and then blew a gasket when the auctioneer asked them to tell something about the horse..age? Broke? Good with kids? If he is a saint and rideable - show him off to his best advantage... no. The dealers bid for him... and when the seller (too late now, buddy) heard the auctioneer say "SOLD - pen 33" - and everyone knew that is one of the dealer pens - he loses it. Shouting obscenities... while the winning dealer whispered to the stock boys and had them put Blackie in a pen on his own... so the poor unwanted old man would not be jostled by bigger horses - and maybe wind up in the re-sell pens if his feet could be worked on and his diet adjusted....

A few weeks later we recognized his unusual blaze peeking at us from the feedlot... one of the riding pens. And Tom the Percheron cross came home with us and became a valuable addition to the therapeutic riding program.

The problem is not the slaughterhouses. Not the PMU barns - who contribute very little to the slaughter industry in actual numbers... but PEOPLE. Us. Shame on US.

And shame on the sensation-seekers who refuse to see the big picture... who label and point without consideration of actual facts. I know that tends to muck things up and all - but still...

Since i buy at auctions sometimes then I MUST sell there apparently i guess since i guess you would know! I dont know where you get that idea from Tagalong.
From you, Leanna. You told us you sold that "Friesian" at auction... and have said other things about selling and buying there. If such is not the case - fine, I may have misunderstood you.

Also, Tagalong ..i never said anything about wild mustang babies.
Neither did I.

There are many perfectly saine Mini's & Horses that you could find. I'm sure there are some Thoughtful loving homes out there who have more then enouph money to buy thouthand dollar show horses, that i know would be happy to take home/rescue a nice mini that ended up in the wrong place. Maybe your not one of those homes, but no ones asking anything of you.
And being RUDE is inappropriate. Gee - I look out into the field and see the pinto who is not safe to ride... is a bit of a head case - can only be handled by me.... and yet loves his pasture buddy and will always have a home somewhere and be safe... oh - he is mine. Mean old me! Feeding him and worming him and getting his feet done and caring for him and all that nonsense...

....But do NOT throw accusations at me!
I didn't. I was only going on what you seem to have said previously.... many times.

Anyway...

Some of the pictures you often see detailing PMU horrors - have been around for at least 40 years. I have seen the same dark barn... the same red mare's butt.... over and over again. Such a barn would have been closed down. It is not the norm... I have stood in PMU barns full of drowsy, dappled horses... and there is no ammonia smell... poop is picked up quickly... clean, clean, clean. Mares are turned out for their spring/summer break around March/April (depends on the farm)... closely monitored for foaling... big foaling sheds with gates are out in the fields and bedded deeply... very few foals are lost - the barns we checked had about a 90% foaling rate - which is good in the horse industry. Stressed, unhappy mares do not get wind up delivering healthy babies.... when the foals are weaned (late August, September into October) the mares move back "online"... out of the winter chill and storms... All of that ^^^ contradicts a lot of the propaganda... but no matter. FACTS do not count. And in time - the ranches will be phased out...

No flames from me, Dunpainted...
default_wink.png
:

My point about PMU mares is that, since there is a viable alternative, why are we still doing it.

If one of the farms is bad, that, for me, is reason enough to stop putting animals through this unnatural life- we do enough to animals anyway, one way or another.

I think it is time the PMU farms shut down. Not because they are necessarily cruel- I do believe yo. But because they are unnecessary.

OK anyone got ANYTHING good to say about Nurse Mare Farms???

slanghter is a nessacery evil. it just needs to be done humaniyly (spelling?

PMU foals are not all unwanted... they even have futurity systems set up for them... the big fall sales are crammed with buyers seeking well-bred, registered Paints, Quarterhorses and Drafts. The Draft crosses are highly sought after for dressage and hunter/jumpers - and many have gone on to the A circuits. The idea that all these poor babies are loaded into trucks and sent to slaughter - is not accurate.

Last year? Year before? .... there was a sad tale of a stock trailer full of rescued PMU weanlings that were bought at a sale in Manitoba and then trucked to the southeast US somewhere... along the way - no food. No water. And when the caring people got home... they simply parked the trailer in the shade and went inside to eat and catch up on their sleep. Neighbours complained. Humane society officers opened the trailer and found 6 weanlings dead or dying... and the two survivors were seized from their rescuers....

rabbit - the farms were started in the 40s... back before any hormone replacements could be produced synthetically... as late as 10 years ago - the synthetic treatments were still very expensive compared to the Premarin... as such hormone replacements become more widely produced and making them becomes easier (and they gain accaptance), the PMU farms will slowly be phased out...

Gosh darn tagalong why do yah have to go and share a story like that
default_crybaby.gif
:

If it were in my power Id lock the people in the trailer with no food or water, haul them around the country, get home and catch up on my sleep.

Fizz - I agree.

How about getting your 9.5 million supporters and having each of them buy 1 horse out of this system? that would take care of all the horses going to slaughter for the next 5-6 years if there are no horses to buy for slaughter then there is no need for slaughter plants now is there
default_wink.png
:
Tee Hee that would never happen. People can gripe and make some one else pay to clean up messes but can not do much them selves.

I do not like horse slaughter. But some things are nessacery! There is not much I can do about it. Sure I can gripe, bitch and complain with the best of yous but what happens when slaughter is no more? I have rescued several horses from the slaughter pens my self. Most of which I have re homed. All were very nice horses. Seems 50/50 to me. Sum horses are something people will want and were just wrong place wrong time & if we can help them, great but sum are in deed un wanted animals and where would they go? The handling and care given to the animals before they are brought to be killed is what we should go after. That can and should change and it would be fore the better.

PMU now thats another story :nono: Unessacery and cruel.

How about getting your 9.5 million supporters and having each of them buy 1 horse out of this system? that would take care of all the horses going to slaughter for the next 5-6 years if there are no horses to buy for slaughter then there is no need for slaughter plants now is there
default_wink.png
:
Tee Hee that would never happen. People can gripe and make some one else pay to clean up messes but can not do much them selves.

I do not like horse slaughter. But some things are nessacery! There is not much I can do about it. Sure I can gripe, bitch and complain with the best of yous but what happens when slaughter is no more? I have rescued several horses from the slaughter pens my self. Most of which I have re homed. All were very nice horses. Seems 50/50 to me. Sum horses are something people will want and were just wrong place wrong time & if we can help them, great but sum are in deed un wanted animals and where would they go? The handling and care given to the animals before they are brought to be killed is what we should go after. That can and should change and it would be fore the better.

PMU now thats another story :nono: Unessacery and cruel.

i could not of said it better myself.............
default_smile.png
what is PMU?

Tagalong that wasnt ment to be rude, i was saying that there would be plenty homes that would be willing to take them in. I wasnt saying that you were not a good loving home ext.

The fresian, which was my dads, was the only horse we have sold at auction. Since he was apparently driving the nabors nuts, we were given 7 days to find him a home, since the nabors couldnt help themselves. He had a bad thing about being in his stall at night or anytime, which i guess was driving the nabors nuts. To my suprise, we live closer to the barn then them and i couldnt hear anything.

He was put through the auction and not sold because an amish guy bidded on him and the horrors of what the guy would have used him for was terriable.. Then after the sale while we were loading him this guy and his two girls that i had talked to and missed him when he went through bought him from us, very cheap to because if we had took him home and not sold him within 7 days then would have had to be handed over and after that it would be out of our hands where he was sent to and could have been some place where im sure they would have kept him about 30days and then sent to slaughter if not sold im sure. He is currently being used as there daughters first dressage horse and trail horse. They also still have him because i have there email and just checked with them when we signed the papers over. They plan to keep him as well.

..That is what you were refering to Tagalong. The one time we sold (which techinically we didnt sell in the auction) we did it responsibily because we were forced to. We sure are a evil bunch arn't we?

Its the people who do it just to make a dollar that tick me off.

Leeana

Horses exported to Mexico 06 http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/AL_LS635.txt AL_LS635

Las Cruces, NM Thu, Feb 16, 2006 USDA Market News

US to Mexico Weekly Livestock Export Summary

Current Previous Current Previous

Week Week Y-T-D Y-T-D*

Species 2/11/2006 2/4/2006

Beef Cattle

Slaughter 0 0 0 0

Breeding Males 0 0 0 0

Breeding Females 0 0 0 0

Total Beef Cattle 0 0 0 0

Hogs

Slaughter 11,722 6,566 51,704 23,204

Breeding Males 0 0 2 20

Breeding Females 0 185 394 1,072

Total Hogs 11,722 6,751 52,100 24,296

Sheep

Slaughter Lambs 0 0 244 0

Slaughter Ewes 2,629 300 10,707 9,009

Breeding Males 0 0 0 0

Breeding Females 0 0 0 0

Total Sheep 2,629 300 10,951 9,009

Dairy Cattle

Breeding Males 0 0 0 0

Breeding Females 0 0 0 0

Total Dairy Cattle 0 0 0 0

Goats

Angora 50 0 200 0

Spanish 0 0 0 0

Other 0 0 0 0

Total Goats 50 0 200 0

Horses

Slaughter 132 116 1,010 665

Breeding Males 4 27 73 90

Breeding Females 4 75 120 180

Geldings 31 37 194 7

Burro/Mule/Pony 0 2 2 0

Total Horses 171 257 1,399 942

Exotics 0 0 0 0

Grand Total All Species 14,572 7,308 64,650 34,247

Source: USDA Market News Service, Las Cruces, NM

John Langenegger, OIC (505) 527-6861 FAX (505) 527-6868

www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/AL_LS635.txt

0735M AP

And regarding the Premarin industry.....The World SPCA has LOADS of proof of these poor animals and the way they are kept.......its hideous!!! AND there IS a manmade version that works just as well!!!!!....so why use your purse to encourage this.......the purse is the most powerful tool against cruelty.......use it wisely and with a conscience.
OH PUHLEASE!! Unless you've personally been to a Premarin farm, SHUT YOUR MOUTH! Premarin mares are kept in better condition and receive more care than most miniature horse breeders' mares that I've seen - and yes, I have been to some fancy-shmancy breeding farms. Premarin farms are subject to stricter regulations, surprise inspections and absolutely rigid rules than any other industry. When I die, I want to come back as a mare on a Premarin farm - life would be GREAT!

And actually, the man made version is no where near as good as the Premarin version. Scientists cannot possibly duplicate the hundreds of hormones found in mare urine - I think they're up to about a dozen in the man made version when the real version contains 300+ variations of hormones.

When I get menopausal, I hope to God Premarin is still available.

Jenn you sound like you might need it right now (and I'm now under the couch where you cannot reach me as I am well aware there is a good reason for you being hormonal
default_smile.png
)

I am on the non organic HRT and it works just fine.

I am NOT happy with mares going through this for our needs when there is an alternative.

The fact is, not all the farms are that good, not all the inspectors are that good, and one rotten apple is all it takes.

If the farms will phase out naturally as the man made stuff gets better I am content.

Latest posts

Back