It past time for horse slaughter to end

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theresa, whoever you are... get a clue. Buy one if you have to. You have come across a group of some of the most caring horse owners you'll ever find. Go slap someone else who is deserving with your rant and please take Gypsy (your alter ego) with you.

Theresa, whoever you are... get a clue. Buy one if you have to. You have come across a group of some of the most caring horse owners you'll ever find. Go slap someone else who is deserving with your rant and please take Gypsy (your alter ego) with you.
Evidently, I've struck a nerve. I'm not saying you don't care about your horses. I don't go around slapping folks either. I just tell them to get ALL the information before they form an opinion on an issue. Spend some time at an equine slaughter plant and then we'll talk.

SO NOT all slaughter houses use a bolt. But you would not know that would you. Halal is very humane and easy to do even on large animals.

Shari.....what is Halal??? Is that where they just cut their throat and let them bleed to death???

And whoever is in favor of no slaughter.......I suggest you get off the key board and start rescuing these horses. Sitting around talking about it......well that gun just went off again.

Like some of the others here, I have also done a lot of rescue and rehab work. I think there are many things worse than death and for some poor suffering animal its a necessary evil. I agree with all the posts that the problem DOES start with breeders, some (not talking about people on this thread) people think if a mare isnt being ridden then it should be breeding, I liked the post that said about the geldings eating and being happy...horses or any companion animals dont need a job apart from that and I do strongly agree with gelding stallions that are not top of the range and for keeping only mares that are real quality producers. My "problem" with the the feed lots (cant speak first hand on american ones but can on the irish ones), nursing mare farms (lot of personal experience on this one) and the PMU is not about the death of the animal but the misery that is their life. We dont have PMU`s here thank goodness!!! But how can you say that all the evidence and work that goes into investigating these atrocities is myth???!! What have they to gain?? Why would anyone make this stuff up??

I would also just like to stress ONCE AGAIN that when I asked runamuk if they were involved in any of these business`s it was A GENUINE QUESTION!! no malice implied which I did go on to explain so dont know why I am being accused of this being a personal attack when far worse is being said here ...this for one....Theresa, whoever you are... get a clue. Buy one if you have to. You have come across a group of some of the most caring horse owners you'll ever find. Go slap someone else who is deserving with your rant and please take Gypsy (your alter ego) with you.

--------------------

Oops...sorry everyone....must be drunk and lost my way to the party!
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Amy, I was not asking you if you were a member of Peta I was asking Gypsy- we know nothing about her, there is NO information in her profile at all, she comes on here and starts ranting on about stopping the slaughter- it sounded so like a Peta activist I just wondered- and I STILL have received no answer!!!
rabbit why would you ask such a question? I am NOT a member of Peta nor are the people who wish to stop horse slaughter. They like me, feel horses are our companions,our precious pets, our lifelong friends.. Don;t you feel your minis are pets too?Do you think our wonderful mini horse friends would be safe if the plants could turn a profit from their deaths? Would you be for eating cats and dogs by any chance?. To me it is the same thing. I know of a 13 year old girl whose beloved horse was stolen and sent to slaughter.She cried for weeks and only wanted her horse back.I know of some one whose $30,000 cow horse was stolen and sent to slaughter. All were micochipped.These folks loved their horses dearly. There are those of you responding to this forum WITHOUT R-E-A-D-I-N-G the heading. I did NOT ask if you believed in slaughter only that it was past time to stop it & how to do this. I will not make this personal for it is not about you or me. The truth about horse slaughter is all around. It is no longer swept under the rug and the dirty secret is out much to the regret of the slaughter plant owners. The ugliness,the disgusting filthiness and the outright greediness of the whole outfit is on record.. People love horses and always will,it is that simple. Just so you know my email boxes are are flilling up by good folks who agree that it should be stopped............ :aktion033: Just so you know. Gypsy

Let me start by saying that I have been to a slaughter plant as an invited guest. I wasn't trying to do espionage or anything like that. My friend's father worked at one and he extended the invitation. I had no secret agenda. I grew up in the business, my parents raised horses, I showed, trained, gave lessons, apprenticed with some of the best trainers in my particular breed and always felt like I had a good handle on the industry. I now have children of my own and while we aren't as involved as I was growing up, we still have horses. Having said that, I must say that it is difficult for me to believe that anyone is a true horseman if they allow the slaughter to continue. I've heard and read all the stuff that's been quoted from the Bible and people comparing equine slaughter to human slaughter or dog slaughter, but you guys are missing the point. It is inhumane, what those videos show you isn't half as bad as seeing it live and in person. I owe my education to horses, I attended college on rodeo scholarships, and quite frankly I am eager to give back. My daddy always told me "they take care of you, you take care of them" and that is what I do. I've taken back horses I've sold many times and had to re sell them because someone's situation changed. I've bought horses from auctions and rehabbed them and gotten them to good homes. I work a second job to help pay for the vet bills and feed bills and whatever else comes along. I feel like I owe them that much. I feel sorry for those of you who don't.
Theresa thank you so much for having the courage to stand up for what is right and good.I agree with you on all points. I cannot imagine why people would fight so hard for such inhumanity to contiue. Blessings Gypsy

I thought you might be a Peta member because you do seem to have a lot in common with their methods- this is not necessarily a criticism of you, just a comment. We know nothing about you, which actually makes me a little leery of you, especially when you come on in such an aggressive manner.

Perhaps a better approach might have been to introduce yourself, tell us something about what you do and then how strongly you feel about certain subjects.

Whether you like it or not, all on this board are dyed in the wool horse lovers and a lot of them do not agree with you!!

I do not agree with you.

I know people that have had Minis stolen and knackered and I still do not agree with you- stopping slaughter on these grounds would be a little too much like using a sledge hammer to crush a peanut!!

If you were to be able to stop horse slaughter- and you will not- where would you put all the horses??

You still have not answered that question.

How would you word the bill??

You cannot stop people killing horses, some badly need to be killed.

I am not sure how you intend to dispose of the dead horses that are euthanised- over here it now costs over $500.00 to have a horse taken away- a Mini Horse, nothing fancy, just removal and joint incineration. If you were to be able to close the slaughter houses where do you think this would be done, because at present this is done by the knacker.

These are all questions that need to be addressed.

Amy, I was not asking you if you were a member of Peta I was asking Gypsy- we know nothing about her, there is NO information in her profile at all, she comes on here and starts ranting on about stopping the slaughter- it sounded so like a Peta activist I just wondered- and I STILL have received no answer!!!
rabbit why would you ask such a question? I am NOT a member of Peta nor are the people who wish to stop horse slaughter. They like me, feel horses are our companions,our precious pets, our lifelong friends.. Don;t you feel your minis are pets too?Do you think our wonderful mini horse friends would be safe if the plants could turn a profit from their deaths? Would you be for eating cats and dogs by any chance?. To me it is the same thing. I know of a 13 year old girl whose beloved horse was stolen and sent to slaughter.She cried for weeks and only wanted her horse back.I know of some one whose $30,000 cow horse was stolen and sent to slaughter. All were micochipped.These folks loved their horses dearly. There are those of you responding to this forum WITHOUT R-E-A-D-I-N-G the heading. I did NOT ask if you believed in slaughter only that it was past time to stop it & how to do this. I will not make this personal for it is not about you or me. The truth about horse slaughter is all around. It is no longer swept under the rug and the dirty secret is out much to the regret of the slaughter plant owners. The ugliness,the disgusting filthiness and the outright greediness of the whole outfit is on record.. People love horses and always will,it is that simple. Just so you know my email boxes are are flilling up by good folks who agree that it should be stopped............ :aktion033: Just so you know. Gypsy

Let me start by saying that I have been to a slaughter plant as an invited guest. I wasn't trying to do espionage or anything like that. My friend's father worked at one and he extended the invitation. I had no secret agenda. I grew up in the business, my parents raised horses, I showed, trained, gave lessons, apprenticed with some of the best trainers in my particular breed and always felt like I had a good handle on the industry. I now have children of my own and while we aren't as involved as I was growing up, we still have horses. Having said that, I must say that it is difficult for me to believe that anyone is a true horseman if they allow the slaughter to continue. I've heard and read all the stuff that's been quoted from the Bible and people comparing equine slaughter to human slaughter or dog slaughter, but you guys are missing the point. It is inhumane, what those videos show you isn't half as bad as seeing it live and in person. I owe my education to horses, I attended college on rodeo scholarships, and quite frankly I am eager to give back. My daddy always told me "they take care of you, you take care of them" and that is what I do. I've taken back horses I've sold many times and had to re sell them because someone's situation changed. I've bought horses from auctions and rehabbed them and gotten them to good homes. I work a second job to help pay for the vet bills and feed bills and whatever else comes along. I feel like I owe them that much. I feel sorry for those of you who don't.
Theresa thank you so much for having the courage to stand up for what is right and good.I agree with you on all points. I cannot imagine why people would fight so hard for such inhumanity to contiue. Blessings Gypsy
My pleasure, I just want to educate. I'm not trying to cram anything down anybody's throat. I firmly believe if you saw for yourself what happens, you'd come away with a completely different view. It changed my way of thinking dramatically!

I thought you might be a Peta member because you do seem to have a lot in common with their methods- this is not necessarily a criticism of you, just a comment. We know nothing about you, which actually makes me a little leery of you, especially when you come on in such an aggressive manner.

Perhaps a better approach might have been to introduce yourself, tell us something about what you do and then how strongly you feel about certain subjects.

Whether you like it or not, all on this board are dyed in the wool horse lovers and a lot of them do not agree with you!!

I do not agree with you.

I know people that have had Minis stolen and knackered and I still do not agree with you- stopping slaughter on these grounds would be a little too much like using a sledge hammer to crush a peanut!!

If you were to be able to stop horse slaughter- and you will not- where would you put all the horses??

You still have not answered that question.

How would you word the bill??

You cannot stop people killing horses, some badly need to be killed.

I am not sure how you intend to dispose of the dead horses that are euthanised- over here it now costs over $500.00 to have a horse taken away- a Mini Horse, nothing fancy, just removal and joint incineration. If you were to be able to close the slaughter houses where do you think this would be done, because at present this is done by the knacker.

These are all questions that need to be addressed.
These questions you have ask have been addressed eloquently. Many people on this forum know me. I have been here for awhile. AGAIN R-E-A-D !!!!! I was even involved with the Christmas exchange.You just have to click onto the links provided to find all answers to your questions. The only thing missing is a bow and wrapping paper. Gypsy

When I joined this forum I wanted to join friends and learn. I know that there are many opinions and points here and though this may not help and many may find it redundant I will state some of my feelings and I think most to all of you will agree on some of this.

I was raised with horses as more than my pets but my family always. It has been a blessing and I owe them so much. I am very empathetic and the thought of sending one of my beloveds to the slaughter is more than I can bear. What must go through their minds? I really want to expirience the joy many of you are blessed with breeding and raising but I cant sell them with this fear. I know that my best friend will take one but I feel that I will only do it for myself/my own pets. This means I will be greatly limited. Such is life. I would also like to rescue and have rescued almost all animals in my family. I dont know what all of the answers are but I am deeply saddened to see any soul unwanted and sent to their fate.

Now before anyone thinks I am ranting on a high pedistol, I am not. I am just speaking my mind. I do love my pets and I do what I can when I can.

PETA member or not, who really cares? Gypsy is either going to go do something to stop slaughter or she's going to keep trolling on here, doing nothing.
Oh I am no troll. I love this forum and have for quite awhile The folks here are G-O-L-D. They have helped me many times.I am really rather flattered that you keep responding to my every written word and not ignoring them, Envy,Don't feel bad no-one can scare me away and shut me up ,believe me the very best have tried. AND as you can see.... They failed.
default_yes.gif
: . Gypsy

A few years ago I had a small steer just up and die.. Well I called for pick up..They wanted 175 dollars That is way too much for a small steer.. I dragged him down and put him the manure pile to decompose with with the rest of pile.. Things have also gotten out of hand for deed animal pick up~! I did that for a few years and we would pick up for Nothing~! And then grind them up and feed the 3,000 mink that the farm raised.. So I have also worked in that part of things. And stopping slaughter will only mean more horses just being Left out in pastures, pens, or whatever to lead Who Knows what kind of life, Because nobody cares, nobody loves them, nobody gives a darn.. Now for people like that at least a Processing plants puts the animal out of a miserable horrible life. And Processing plants should be left open to take care of these unwanted, Unloved, from the uncaring People that are all around us~!. And closing the 3 Plants that Process horse meat for human use Does Not stop ANY of the Other Processing plants from using horses to feed the Big Cats at Zoos and Other places. So Slaughter REALLY does not stop at all....And with Processing going on in Canada and in Mexico that just means a Longer and horrible ride and kept in WHO Knows What unspeakable conditions.. At least here in the States the USDA Inspected plants there are people and laws around to protect inhumane ways..Tighten up those laws make the 3 Processing plants Adhere to the new laws and that would make many people happy as then the horses will at least be processed in a humane manure. Most of the people that have been Labeled as PRO Slaughter is Truly Wrong...We are Not Pro Slaughter,, We are against inhumane treatment~ And closing the US Plants will just ADD to the the Inhumane Treatment of horses!

Most of the people that have been Labeled as PRO Slaughter is Truly Wrong...We are Not Pro Slaughter,, We are against inhumane treatment~ And closing the US Plants will just ADD to the the Inhumane Treatment of horses!
Well, there you go! Hopefully people will actually read that statement. There isn't a person on this Forum that WANTS to see an animal in the slaughter house. But I thought people were smart enough to realize that fact. It's amazing to me how things get so twisted!
default_wacko.png
:

I'm sorry I have NEVER seen any of the questions I am asking answered by ANYONE. I am on here a lot more than you, I can assure you, had it been said, I should have read it.

Attempting to belittle your "opponent" rarely works in politics, let alone on a Forum as common sense orientated as this one.

Attacking someone on a personal level is not acceptable.

Please stop.

Just because we do not agree with you does not mean you have the right to throw a wobbly.

You have NOT answered my questions.

Perhaps, after all, you actually do not have an answer??

You seem to be more than able to paste goodness knows how much of other peoples thread in your answers, I am sure if this had been eloquently answered elsewhere you would have pasted it up by now.

Carting horses down into Argentina, and thence on to Italy...how do you intend to stop that??

Or is it OK so long as it is not done in America??

So... it is OK for the horse to be trucked across the borders out of the country, out of sight and mind, because you have failed totally to address the true problem, which as has been stated ad nauseum, is the conditions under which the horses are kept and transported, not the fact that they are slaughtered.??

Just because we do not agree with you does not mean you have the right to throw a wobbly.
:new_rofl: Well, that was too funny. Never heard that term before but a perfect example of how we both speak English but have words with totally different meanings! Good one Jane........made me giggle in spite of it all.

And closing the US Plants will just ADD to the the Inhumane Treatment of horses!
I could not agree more. No, of course I do not want to see horses slaughtered. But the answer is not to close the U.S. plants and make this someone else's problem, where there are not the same level of regulations that are required in the U.S.

Liz R.

*wobbly starting....*

Well I'm about to throw a wobbly. A BIG one.

My pleasure, I just want to educate. I'm not trying to cram anything down anybody's throat. I firmly believe if you saw for yourself what happens, you'd come away with a completely different view. It changed my way of thinking dramatically!
Theresa-who-seems-to-write-like-Gypsy, I have seen it. Once again - apparently some people do not actually read anyone else's posts and just blather on....

At the plant I visited - the horses were treated as humanely as possible. None of the fiction that we are always told is fact happened. All the plants are regularly inspected - but true - I can only speak for the Canadian version. I went through the plant a couple of times - so I know that the treatment I saw was not an anomaly. Ditto for the holding yard/stock yard. And I am not stupid, or cruel - or any other nonsense you care to label me as....

And for ANYONE to imply that because I said the above - and witnessed it first hand.... or because I actually have been in PMU barns that were NOT abusive, cruel etc. and dared to say so... for anyone to imply that all of that means I do not care for horses in some way... that I gave up a secure, comfortable lifestyle to devote the last 15 years to working with other people's horses for a living... to imply that I do not care.... that I am a callous, cold, unfeeling person...

HOW DARE YOU. HOW [SIZE=12pt]DARE[/SIZE] YOU....

Most of the people that have been Labeled as PRO Slaughter is Truly Wrong...We are Not Pro Slaughter,, We are against inhumane treatment~ And closing the US Plants will just ADD to the the Inhumane Treatment of horses!
Yeah that ^^^.

This thread reminds of the times a year or two ago when a certain poster (now banned) would sit at his computer and post all sorts of horrific links and tell us how those 30,000 PMU foals were slaughtered as they were born and other such nonsense. He knew all this sitting in front of his computer in Florida, you see. And he bashed us all to kingdom come when we dared to not agree with him. He also pointed out that only he apparently loved horses or gave a rip about them.....

Do I sound a bit ticked?? Hope so... I would hate to waste all this indignation...

*wobbly over...*

[SIZE=12pt]Is there a possibility we can put this thread out of it's misery?[/SIZE]

It's the equivalent of DRAGGING OUT THE DEAD CAT FROM THE CLOSET and stinking up the house (forum)?

[SIZE=12pt]Is there a possibility we can put this thread out of it's misery?[/SIZE]

It's the equivalent of DRAGGING OUT THE DEAD CAT FROM THE CLOSET and stinking up the house (forum)?
[SIZE=18pt]OMG! DUN PAINTED! THAT WAS FABULOUS! CAN'T STAND IT! ROLLING ON THE FLOOR![/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]And Tag! I love you too![/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]And Mary Lou................OH I NEEDED A GOOD LAUGH................I have painters CRAMP![/SIZE]

I want to thank all of you for my evening entertainment tonight.

Throwing a wobbly was just about the funniest thing I have ever heard!

Tagalong your post was priceless!!!

And Carol I am still laughing at some of your comments!!!!

LOL still giggling here!

This stuff is great.

Latest posts

Back