It past time for horse slaughter to end

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsyheart

Reaction score
Now is the time to let your voices shout against this injustice. Here are great links to let you know what is going on. Let your voices be heard. This is a horrible abusive ,cruel and,PAINFUL UN-NECESSARY torture of beloved horses & donkies of all sizes. I live close to a horse feedlot and it is a crime how the horses are treated. They are packed like sardines in fattening pens. I saw big beautiful HEALTHY YOUNG PREGNANT Belgians ,Arabian,, Percherons, long legged race horses and little donkies.I saw yearlings packed together so tight they were deficating , urinating on each other and could not even lay down for a rest. No Shelter either. Please join with me to stop this horrible atrocity. The time is now. We all can stop this . http://www.justsaywhoa.org/ http://www.saplonline.org/horses_USDAsuit.htm http://www.marynash.org/ Thank you for your voice... never doubt your ability to make a difference. God Bless you all Ramona Foxworth

While I feel that these horses should be treated humanely, I do not feel the slaughter would end. Take a close look and the numbers of horses that go through there, they are unwanted horses. If there was no slaughter just what do you think will happen to them? Not a pretty thought and it is a shame that there are unwanted horses but that is the brutal and sad truth.

While I feel that these horses should be treated humanely, I do not feel the slaughter would end. Take a close look and the numbers of horses that go through there, they are unwanted horses. If there was no slaughter just what do you think will happen to them? Not a pretty thought and it is a shame that there are unwanted horses but that is the brutal and sad truth.
Well I totally disagree with that statement .Not UNWANTED AT ALL .. JUST FOR SALE. Someone wants them. The Industry CHASES the horses not the other way around. I pray this abusive crap stops soon. Their cries fill the night.Ask anyone who lives close to the slaughter houses. You can read facts and figures in links provided. Ramona Foxworth

Gypsyheart, I fully support your views and have done what i can as well to support the usda lawsuit. Sadly i don't think you will find all that much support on this board. After some recent activity here about it I got so sad about what people were saying I quit coming to the board for a while. And also decided against proceeding with the breeding business I have poured thousands into to purchase the best horses and bloodlines around. I will only breed my little beauties for my own personal self, if I so desire.

Minis are not immune to being put into the kill pens, i have a gorgeous little shetland out back gotten off a feedlot with hours to spare.

Gypsyheart, I fully support your views and have done what i can as well to support the usda lawsuit. Sadly i don't think you will find all that much support on this board. After some recent activity here about it I got so sad about what people were saying I quit coming to the board for a while. And also decided against proceeding with the breeding business I have poured thousands into to purchase the best horses and bloodlines around. I will only breed my little beauties for my own personal self, if I so desire.

Minis are not immune to being put into the kill pens, i have a gorgeous little shetland out back gotten off a feedlot with hours to spare.
Bravo Amy! I too am sad that so many just give up and think slaughter is the only answer but don't be too disheartened as there are more that do care than you may think.

Why do you not just buy all the horses out of that feed lot. Problem sovled. Sorry to get personal but looking at the govenment to prevent the overpopulation of horses is not the answer. The more the govt is involved the more might come back to bite each and every one of us in the long run.

The more the govt is involved the more might come back to bite each and every one of us in the long run.
I'm gonna' have to agree with that. It's up to us, as horse owners/breeders, to act responsibly in the numbers we produce. The government can't seem to do anything without spending 2 million bucks to answer a 200 dollar question. The end result might very well be legislation that does bite us.

As a matter of fact I have been involved in animal rescue my whole life cleaning up the big dang messes that others leave behind.

I took two off that feedlot, that was all I could afford to do. And both are in very good situations now. One was a two year old POA with NO problems. He is now owned and loved by a little girl who will be showing him this year. Now please tell me WHY he ended up in that scene. Because someone took him to a sale one night, and the right person wasn't there to bid. THAT is why horses end up in the kill pen. Because people who own them don't take the time to sell them properly themselves, instead of at auction or through a broker.

ITS A VERY SAD SITUATION,,I COULDNT BEAR TO WATCH THOSE TAPES IM SORRY GYPSY HEART,IN AN IDEAL WORLD THOSE HORSES SHOULD BE DONATED FOR COMPANION HORSES FOR FREE,THERE ARE SO MANY LOVLEY KIDS OUT THERE THAT WOULD LOVE A HORSE IF THEY HAD THE OPPORTUNITY,I THINK IT SHOULD BE EVERYONES RESPONSIBLITY TO SEE THAT THERE HORSE ENDS UP IN A GOOD HOME OR IS HUMANLEY DISROYED{sp} IF THEY ARE SUFFERING, I WISH I COULD SAY SOMETHING THAT WOULD STOP THIS,I REALLY APPLAUD YOU BOTH FOR YOUR BELIEFS
default_sad.png

There are too many horses and too little space, that is the sad fact. Donating them anywhere would not solve the problem, neither would buying them out of the feedlot unless you have the space and the money to keep them for the rest of their lives. The race industry is responsible fro a lot of the unwanted horses- why not have a go at them directly?? Why not try to close down all the auctions- no auctions no kill buyers, surely??

The problem is the problem has been getting bigger and bigger over the years until some people rely on these sales to "get rid" of their surplus stock.

Stopping the slaughterhouses will not solve the problem, in fact it will make a great deal worse, as these horses will be turned loose on roadsides, dumped on open ground- who cares?? Obviously not their owners, who took them to the sale in the first place.

The problem needs to be tackled one step at a time from the bottom up.

Not hit on the head from above.

I thought there were only two licensed slaughterhouses left, anyway??

Surely it would not be worth while fattening animals up in feedlots for animal food??

There are only 3 plants in the USA that Process horses for food. I do not know how many in Canada or Mexico, And now with the Processing plants can hire their own USDA inspectors slaughter will continue.. If you looked at the date on that Texas plant that article was written several months ago.. I am sure that in May they will be back open and processing horses for human consumption.

Slaughtering of horses is just part of the over All Big picture in the horse industry, not a very nice part but DOES serve a purpose at that.

I wasnt aware they had Horse Feedlots! :no:

So its okay to take horses that are already in a bad situation and put them in a even worse situation .....?

So your telling me taking a horse from his bad home and putting it in a cell with 3ft of horse crap, getting urinated on by other horses, ext is the 'best thing'?

I dont think anyone can tell me that a feedlot is humian, nor do i beleive there is any way that any type of slaughter can be Humane.

Coming from a long line of Kentucky Thoroughbred breeders, owners ext who are very in with the racing industry ...i have to say that not as many race horses are slaughtered as you think. There not raced 2 times and thrown into the back of a truck on there next stop to Texas, nope. There treated humanely actually and i think people like Peta who flip when a fly is killed are the ones that want everyone to throw blaime to the race horse industy.

Slaughter is one of the subjects i really know about.

...i cant do anything but voice my opinion though and hope people like me who beleive this dont get knocked down for it.

I think very few of you have been to a slaugher auction. There was one today, next friday, the friday after that and so on not to far away. Every friday at 2pm i look at the clock and i know that about 200 horses just lost there life due to SugarCreek horse auction.

Now that what is truly sad.

Leeana

OK,,, question for you.

If horse slaughter is stopped in this country....

Who will take in all those horses?

You?

Do you have the land?

Proper fencing?

A good enough job to properly care for all those horses?

Do you have the expertise to handle the ones that can't be tamed?

Do you have knowledgeable people to make sure every horse is taken care of everyday?

Do you have funds to take care of the chronically ill ones?

It is one thing to say stop the slaughter of horses but quite another to put your mouth where the money is so to speak.

I agree with Shari. It's easy to shout Stop the slaughter! or Stop the kill shelters! but if that happens it's just going to create another ugly problem because people won't stop over producing their animals. The sad fact of the matter is every day there are more animals born than there are good homes available for them and for many of these dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, birds, etc. death is kinder than a lifetime of pain and suffering.

Yes, but the thing is the people who say that are also the ones sitting at home awaiting the birth of 25+ horses currently.

I didnt say i would take them in, also i most of my horses are rescues so i think i have done as much as i can. In the future i also plan to do more.

Obviously no one can take in 60,000 horses a year, doesnt mean you have to have 500 acres, 2 trillion dollars just to rescue a horse. Its about 10 dollars in gas, 5 hrs out of your day, less then a 100 dollars normally to buy a rescue horse from an auction and many people who give good homes already have around 50 $10,000 dollar horses ...i dont think its hurting anything for some people to adopt a rescue.

Leeana

Really..... I would like to know where those 25+ foals to be are hiding on my place?

You have never been to my place, you do not know what I believe in....you know nothing about me.

Painting a broad brush like that and lumping everyone together isn't going to make you or your cause look better.

Again, unless you can put your money where your mouth is.......maybe you need to take a better look at the "Real" world as ugly as it can be.

Many people on this board already do rescues and a lot of them.

I used too,, but I can't any more after the accident.

So unless you can take on all those other horses and do right by them......................

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only 3 plants in the USA that Process horses for food. I do not know how many in Canada or Mexico, And now with the Processing plants can hire their own USDA inspectors slaughter will continue.. If you looked at the date on that Texas plant that article was written several months ago.. I am sure that in May they will be back open and processing horses for human consumption.

Slaughtering of horses is just part of the over All Big picture in the horse industry, not a very nice part but DOES serve a purpose at that.

Not sure if this is true first hand, but because of the shutting down of slaughter houses around the US, the "meat buyers" in this area were being forced to send their purchases at "Killer Auctions" over the border to Canada. And because the buyers aren't getting any money per pound, they have told a couple of horse trainers we know that they are making more money actually reselling the horses to new homes! :aktion033:

Doesn't hurt my feelings any!

MA

Leeana, I don't have any horses and I've never raised a foal. I won't deny that for a while I was a part of the problem raising a few litters of puppies here and there until I stopped to think about what I was doing and why. For now I have as many non-producing PETS as I can handle and your estimation on the cost of rescuing a horse is WAY off as expenses go way beyond the purchase price of any animal.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Im not telling anyone to do anything, nor was i pointing fingers at either of you lol. Im not going to name any names but i can think of many off the top of my head. And most of the foals produced are not top quality foals to go to show homes ext.

But i know many people who buy really expensive horses, i have been to MANY slaughter auctions and i know the average price of a good mini that can easily be saved. I know vet bills, worming, hoof trims ext have to be figured in.

I just think its a better investment then another show horse sometimes.

But nevermind, forget i said anything since i will be wrong no matter what i say
default_wacko.png
:.

Latest posts

Back