It past time for horse slaughter to end

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not wrong, Leeana, it's just that what you're suggesting isn't going to solve the real problem. The real problem is that people are continually producing more animals than there are good homes for them. If there was no slaughter or kill shelters, eventually all of the rescuers in the world would be out of luck because there wouldn't be enough land, or feed, or money to care for all of those unwanted animals properly. It's kind of like shouting out to stop landfills without addressing our trash problem.

If I could have a wish

I'd wish for a million acres

and at the public livestock auctions

there would be no mean takers

And all the horses

and donkeys and mules

would be on this land

where nothing is cruel

There would be a open barn

for shelter from the cold and rain

and a clean flowing stream

flowing through this land again and again

There would be beautiful grass

to graze on all day

and in the winter

it would be bailed into hay

and all these animals

would never go without

the attention they deserve

and love would never be in doubt

All the people would be gentle

and would never raise a mean hand

no not on my million acres

there would be nothing horrible on this land

No whips allowed

no chains at all

nothing to hurt

and no one locked up in a filthy stall

and when another poor animal

needed a place to stay

abandoned or starved

we would say "come this way"

and no animal would ever be turned down

there would always be room

no one saying "go away we are full up"

there would be no doom

and if they needed medicine

there would be a great supply

for anything that hurts you

your legs, your back, your eyes

Now that's a mighty big wish I have

If I could fufill it I would

but if every one just helped a little with what they had

and shared whatever they could

It would be better than having nothing to offer

and saying "no, don't bother me"

maybe you have a little place you can spare

with a little fence somewhere under a tree

And it wouldn't take so much

if people would just open their hearts

and make room for some helpless creature

and try to give him a new start

It's not that much more to spare a bit

just a handful of grain sometimes will do

and a bucket of clean fresh water to drink

and a shelter or a tiny lean-tu

But if you sit back and let others do it all

and turn your back on helping out

there will too many animals that won't be saved

and too many left in doubt

So the next time you get a chance

to help an animal in need

think twice before you ignore it all

it will lift your heart to do a good deed

By Marty Garrison

The opinion that since there are not enough homes or options for unwanted horses so slaughter is the best thing for them, to me, smacks of the same rhetoric and logic that PETA uses when they fill the dumpsters with euthanized animals and are criticized for it. Yet, if a anti PETA person comes to that same type of conclusion it's now magically transformed to a compassionate, humane thing to do? So why is it that no one ever hears about all those animal-loving compassionate folks who are just itching to work at a slaughter plant to ensure these horse's lives are ended humanely? Sorry, but the logic defies me and it seems hypocritical.
default_wacko.png
:

Yes, while it may become an even uglier problem that just may be what is needed to stop this BS once and for all. As long as we can sanitize the nastiness by keeping slaughter a viable option so we don't have to look at the ugliness of it all, of course it will continue. Just another dirty secret about the horse industry to sweep under the rug like all the rest. But squeeze the industry with governmental fines, force people to have breeding permits/ID's, jailing the abusers instead of giving them chance after chance, abolish selling horsemeat as a food source, take away the plants, and yes the supply and demand would wane. It's only when we are too stupid to handle things ourselves that the government steps in and really fouls thing up. You'd think we'd learn but unfortunately, at that point, I think we really DO deserve it.

IMO the vast majority of people in this world should never be allowed to own animals EVER! I just thank God everyday I don't breed or sell so I'll never have to bear it on my conscience that I sold one of my precious animals to someone who thinks this is an ok thing to do.

Last edited:
I agree with many of the previous posters - the slaughterhouses and kill buyers are not the problem here. Irresponsible breeding and overproduction is.

In addition, shutting down slaughterhouses does NOT help the situation. It just means the horses are shipped longer distances and spend more time in feedlots before they are slaughtered - definitely not more humane by any scope of the imagination.

Feedlots, at least the responsibly run ones, really aren't that bad, I can't say as a horse would complain about standing around and eating all day. I have a couple of geldings who do just that and they are pretty darned happy.

Lovecoco...I agree with you 100%!!! Its amazing how you can find a wonderful home for animal (horse or otherwise) if you take one on and give it the time it needs to find the right home and I do agree that the fault lies with breeders who are intent on producing that horse that will jump higher, run faster or out show other horses and to heck with the rest of the "produce"! I have rescued many animals in my life so far incl. minis, rehabilitated them and sold them to new loving homes...but I sometimes have to wait for a long time. I really HATE the way many people make a nice cosy living for themselves off the misery of horses backs!! And anyone that takes HRT PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT TAKE the one made from mares urine...Premarin, ask your dr what the source of the medication is as these poor things have a hideous life (google it) Those of you who value your horses and place them in loving, vetted homes just as carefully as the show ones that make the big bucks....good for you ...keep up the good work.

Shirley, I've never said anything about PETA filling dumpsters with euthanized companion animals mainly because I know that they're not the only ones and they also aren't the source of the problem. I also never said slaughter and kill shelters are "viable options." Obviously and AGAIN, something needs to be done to check the BREEDING and stop the ABUSE of animals so that slaughter houses and kill shelters don't need to see as many animals as they do today.

Poodles, Hon I wasn't speaking directly to you, just about the subject in general, really!
default_smile.png

ITS A VERY SAD SITUATION,,I COULDNT BEAR TO WATCH THOSE TAPES IM SORRY GYPSY HEART,IN AN IDEAL WORLD THOSE HORSES SHOULD BE DONATED FOR COMPANION HORSES FOR FREE,THERE ARE SO MANY LOVLEY KIDS OUT THERE THAT WOULD LOVE A HORSE IF THEY HAD THE OPPORTUNITY,I THINK IT SHOULD BE EVERYONES RESPONSIBLITY TO SEE THAT THERE HORSE ENDS UP IN A GOOD HOME OR IS HUMANLEY DISROYED{sp} IF THEY ARE SUFFERING, I WISH I COULD SAY SOMETHING THAT WOULD STOP THIS,I REALLY APPLAUD YOU BOTH FOR YOUR BELIEFS
default_sad.png
There are 3 of those nasty places.. Cavel in Dekalb Mi, Dallas Crown in Kaufman and Beltex in Fort Worth. Shane there is something you can do. Now our movement is STRONGER than ever. We number 9.5 million and our numbers are soaring. We have the support of our congress now. I believe that AMERICA is the most wonderful greatest place on the face of the earth. 1 vote...1 vote. :aktion033: Hugs Ramona

" I believe that AMERICA is the most wonderful greatest place on the face of the earth."

Really? Yikes... :new_shocked:

It would be wonderful if the world was a perfect place.

But my Question still stands.

What happens to all the horses,, say next week if this bill goes through? You want this bill to go through, you are saying everything will be better because of it.

Do you have a workable realistic contingency plan for all those horses that will need homes?

Have you thought through where they are going to be housed? Cared for? In a proper and humane manner?

You say all horses will find good homes. It isn't going to happen. Believe me,,,seeing all I have seen over the years...I wish the world was fairy tale perfect,, but it isn't.

What will happen is, the bad people are going to stay bad,, and it will go underground, where conditions will even be worse for some horses. At my age, I have learned I can't control what people do, no matter how much I would like to be able too.

Personally I have never sent horses to slaughter or to auction houses,, and don't plan too.

The best thing someone can do, instead of trying to pass a law, in which they can't take care of all the unwanted horses.... is adopt as many as you can, and care for them in a proper manner. Make a difference that way.

I feel more horses are going to suffer in some back field or hold...because of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
ITS A VERY SAD SITUATION,,I COULDNT BEAR TO WATCH THOSE TAPES IM SORRY GYPSY HEART,IN AN IDEAL WORLD THOSE HORSES SHOULD BE DONATED FOR COMPANION HORSES FOR FREE,THERE ARE SO MANY LOVLEY KIDS OUT THERE THAT WOULD LOVE A HORSE IF THEY HAD THE OPPORTUNITY,I THINK IT SHOULD BE EVERYONES RESPONSIBLITY TO SEE THAT THERE HORSE ENDS UP IN A GOOD HOME OR IS HUMANLEY DISROYED{sp} IF THEY ARE SUFFERING, I WISH I COULD SAY SOMETHING THAT WOULD STOP THIS,I REALLY APPLAUD YOU BOTH FOR YOUR BELIEFS
default_sad.png
There are 3 of those nasty places.. Cavel in Dekalb Mi, Dallas Crown in Kaufman and Beltex in Fort Worth. Shane there is something you can do. Now our movement is STRONGER than ever. We number 9.5 million and our numbers are soaring. We have the support of our congress now. I believe that AMERICA is the most wonderful greatest place on the face of the earth. 1 vote...1 vote. :aktion033: Hugs Ramona
Yep I LOVE this country,mom and apple pie . I was born loving horses in all shapes in all sizes.
default_yes.gif
: I think it is important to speak up loudly and do what is right. A nice polite discussion is always a great education about how the other side lives and breaths. Blessings always Ramona Foxworth

Another thing that concerned individuals can do is to continue EDUCATING the public. I don't believe there are very many individuals in our society who are truly heartless brats who WANT to hurt animals or have them killed them "just because." Too often, however, people ATTACK when they try to educate others and so their advice is taken as an insult. I don't think anyone here is truly "pro" slaughter or kill shelters but there are many breeders of horses, dogs, cats and other critters right here on this forum who might reconsider breeding (as I did) when the information against it is properly presented to them.

Yes Poodles,, education is the key. So many people do not grow up around animals any more. They get older and think it is a piece a cake so to speak to care for them and it is any thing but. They get in over their heads and panic.

yes education is a good thing But do not go to those places in the net that have the videos in place to get educated from..They are not in any form show the true story as to what goes on at a Processing Plant.

It would be wonderful if the world was a perfect place.

But my Question still stands.

What happens to all the horses,, say next week if this bill goes through? You want this bill to go through, you are saying everything will be better because of it.

Do you have a workable realistic contingency plan for all those horses that will need homes?

Have you thought through where they are going to be housed? Cared for? In a proper and humane manner?

You say all horses will find good homes. It isn't going to happen. Believe me,,,seeing all I have seen over the years...I wish the world was fairy tale perfect,, but it isn't.

What will happen is, the bad people are going to stay bad,, and it will go underground, where conditions will even be worse for some horses. At my age, I have learned I can't control what people do, no matter how much I would like to be able too.

Personally I have never sent horses to slaughter or to auction houses,, and don't plan too.

The best thing someone can do, instead of trying to pass a law, in which they can't take care of all the unwanted horses.... is adopt as many as you can, and care for them in a proper manner. Make a difference that way.

I feel more horses are going to suffer in some back field or hold...because of this.

[/quote /] ............... ............. Shari, I feel deeply in my heart that slaughter LEADS to abuse. . It breeds gluttony, greed and pay-offs. Here is a great article http://www.thebulletin.com/archives/2006/f...heslaughter.htm Ramona

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty disgustingly real to me in video linked to above, shmini... :smileypuke:

No need to look at a video that was produced by any group with a "dog in the fight" . There are hundreds of videos on the net to look at mostly all produced by people or groups with agendas.

There was a mention of the PMU farms. I do not know about all of them but did go with a buyer two years ago buying foals from a number of these farms in western Canada. All the PMU farms I visited the animals were well cared for, well fed and received good vet and farrier care. They produce a product that has a market. As long as that market exists these farms will continue production. I went on the trip partly to see for myself what these farms were like. I would have no problem buying an animal from these farms (the ones I saw) and do not claim they are all as good but know for a fact there are many good ones around. As long as women need birth control and hormones there will be a good market.

By the way over a hundred and seventy five foals were purchased and trucked into Ontario on this trip. Most all of them will end up working as draft animals doing just what their breed was meant to do. I do know that at least five of them were purchased by a "rescue" group from Florida who resold the animals as rescues from the PMU farms for $1900 to $2,500. Those particular animals were no more in need of rescue than my minis.

Latest posts

Back