It came from the hay.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoddalottaFarm

Reaction score
Hey all!

This morning when I went out to feed my boys, I found a golf ball smack dab in the middle of a stall.

default_new_shocked.gif
There is *no* way it could have gotten in the stall overnight. No holes in the metal or windows. Also, we have to close up the boys (2 Minis) every night because we live in a heavily wooded area and we have lots of coyotes and bobcats that like to wander up close! One of my boys has been sick with worms and who knows what else (next vet appointment is Monday), so my first horrible thought was, maybe he swallowed the golf ball and passed it overnight?! I didn't think it was possible for a Mini to swallow a golf ball and not choke to death, so I asked one of my Mini email groups what their opinions were. Most answers were it probably came from the hay.
default_new_shocked.gif
I don't know that this would be right because I weigh the hay, so most of it is pulled apart each feeding. Then, I started hearing what people have found in their hay. I couldn't believe it. I guess we have a great hay guy because we've never found anything in our hay, but hay! Is it likely for a golf ball to be in hay and I could have missed it? Is it possible a Mini who won't play with anything, found it in the pasture and brought it back to his stall without me seeing? I am kinda freaking over this. I don't know how it got in the stall. Makes me want to sleep with the cameras on tonight! :DOH!

Thanks for any and all opinions!

It probably did come from the hay!

We've only found one thing "odd" in our hay. Once there was a vinyl squeaky dog toy in the hay. Winston, my dog, said it's like getting a prize from a cereal box
default_biggrin.png

We have found some strange stuff in our hay. A dead rabbit(pink stuffed kind and parts of him in several bales) a metal part from one of the rakes.Usually the horse leave the strange stuff alone. My biggest feat is dead animals of some kind which can cause major problems.

default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
I found 100 dollar bill in my hay! Lets just say I bought more hay with it. I asked the guy if he knew if he ever had anyone lose money in his field. He said no, so I bought more!

We have found lots of odd things in hay over the years, but our favorite of all time was a pair of thong-type underwear!! What were they doing out in that field, anyway!?

Jayne

default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
I found 100 dollar bill in my hay! Lets just say I bought more hay with it. I asked the guy if he knew if he ever had anyone lose money in his field. He said no, so I bought more!
Oh I so wish the 100$ bill fairy would leave a present in my hay!

We have found lots of odd things in hay over the years, but our favorite of all time was a pair of thong-type underwear!! What were they doing out in that field, anyway!?

Jayne
The owner of the Arabian ranch I used to work for found a bikini top in a bale of hay, where were the bottoms?

These are hilarious!!!
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif
I WISH we foudn $100! But if we did- it would probably be our own- we hay our own fields!
default_wink.png
The only thing we've ever found was a nasty dead snake
default_smileypuke.gif
Cool when alive, not so cool post-hay machines!!
default_no.gif

Can anyone hear Forrest Gump saying:

"Life is like a bale of hay. You never know what you're going to get."

I found enough wood in one bale to build a nice little bonfire. The wood was as big around as my wrist, and there were 5-6 pieces, 12 - 15 inches long. Plus a bunch of other kindling. Can't believe it didn't destroy his baler.

Parts of a deer. It was GROSS.

Now we find shredded dog toys. My guys are GREAT at taking them out into the field, but AWFUL at bringing them back!!

Lucy

It probably came in the hay. The new people that live in front of our hay field think it is their driving range. It makes me soooo mad. He had enough nerve to TELL me to take down my no trespassing signs. More fence this summer for us.

Hehe, all these are funny!!

My bets are that the golf ball came from the hay. Just cant see a mini eating it and living.
default_no.gif

The GROSSEST thing Ive found in our hay was a chopped up snake! Weve found peices of ripped apart rubber toys, and various odd things!
default_wacko.png

Wow most of you haven't found much. We used to hay a couple fields that had a lot of road frontage. That means lots of junk.

We have found flashlight, cell phone (I lost it 2 years before baling that peice) , flashlight batteries, beer cans, bicycle tire no rim, a wallet (money already gone), golf balls, baseballs, beachball (no air), Shorts, scuba mask (must have been a wet summer), hunting arrow, various shirts, condom (yuk), and mittens/gloves.

We have found the usual feathers from the crows, chopped up snakes and a few neat things like frisbees, a little worse for wear, gloves and a chopped up palid shirt that probably fell off the tractor or such. Dang tho, wish I'd had the hay fairy leave me some money LOL

Last year i fed the horses before i went to class, came home and there was a flat dead snake laying in one of the horses feeders. I have the biggest phobia of snakes, you can imagine my reaction
default_new_shocked.gif
. I was picking through the stall and just glance over and there it is.

I normally find random crushed pop cans and candy wrappers or chip bags in our hay.

After we, i mean *I*, found the snake, my father had to feed the horses their hay for a few days.

After we, i mean *I*, found the snake, my father had to feed the horses their hay for a few days.
Leeana, totally understand. I'm wear glasses and am getting "older". Last year I passed the stack of bales and thought I saw a stick protruding out of a bale. Of course I reached over and tugged at it. It crunched and then I really looked and realized it was the front end of a really dead snake. I asked hubby to do the hay for a while and he said he couldn't find the other half. You know of course when I went back to feeding that the back half magically appeared!
default_gaah.gif

It always amazes me as to what I find in my bales. We have had a flattened snake, dead bugs also, pieces of plastic and HUGE pieces of wood.... one of them looked like a small tree trunk. I really hate it when the prickly plants are in there. It never fails. I will at least get one stuck in a finger and they hurt. Tiny little things that you can't get out.

Last year when my husband was bailing the hay a turkey ran right between the tractor and the baler and it got baled up -- he made sure to mark that bale when it came out so that he would know
default_smile.png

I know once he baled a skunk as well -- that bale never got used -- haha
default_smile.png

I've found more snakes than I can count. But the worst thing I ever found was when I worked at a HUGE farm that had like 80 full sized horses in boarding and another 65 or 70 race horses there that used our indoor to train babies so they could race as 2 year olds (do NOT get me started). Twice a day I would have to toss hay to every single one of the these horses and one winter we ran low on hay and they bought a semi load of hay from some guy out of state. The FIRST bale I opened up had a complete mummified fawn in it. It was still curled up like it was sleeping and was crammed in between two flakes. *shudders*

Latest posts

Back