Is there a vet on?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess

Reaction score
If there is a vet on I need some help. I am a vet tech so know mostly what I am doing and just need a quick opinion on his prognosis for recovery. The vet I work for is out of town and I know if I take him elsewhere or tell anyone about him he'll be taken and euthinized. I watched him get hit by the car in front of me. Please respond here or pm me if there is a vet on. I have done wildlife rehab in VT but am not yet licenced in NY and most of the vets around here immediately euthinize wild animals and I think he might have a good chance but the vet I work for won't be back until sunday night. Just want to be sure I'm doing the right things for him.

AGoodLife.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant help but wanted to say YOU GO GIRL!! Hope you help this little guy pull through :aktion033:

Thank you I hope so too. Just lost my dad on Dec. 20th so asked him for some extra help from above. He's a cute little critter will post pics when my camera charges. Just want to make sure i'm doing all the right things for him and need some dosing info.

Sounds like you have some basic medical knowledge, Jess........and you also have some good gut instincts to work with that. At least that's a better shot than what that little guy would have otherwise.......I also know that your dad will be right along with you and will help you make the best decisions.

Please keep us informed.....

MA

I will keep everyone informed. I've had him since Sunday night. He has a head injury but can move all his limbs and his tail and opens both eyes and will drink blended food(licks it from a spoon) His right eye was full of blood(clear now and has vision from what I can tell) and he was bleeding from his right ear and nostril only a small amount of blood loss. There are no apparent skull fractures or spinal injuries. He can urinate and pass feces but he is only awake for VERY short periods of time. He has a small cut and a bruise inside his mouth otherwise no external injuries. The first day his right ear and his head were pulsing on that side. That's stopped and today he was even scratching his ear with his hind leg. He will turn around in his crate but most of the time he is out cold. He is awake only to eat ,change positions, and go to the bathroom. I'm sure once the swelling in his head goes down he should be ok but want another opinion on how long I should let him continue like this If he does't fully wake up tomorrow. I know head injuries take time to heal and he's not in pain but I'm not sure how long I should give him to wake up completely. I know this is the bodies way of healing but I also don't want to make him live like this if he's not going to improve. I think he will but just want to be sure I'm doing all I can for him. Oh I'm calling him jasper and if he pulls through depending on his health and abilities he will either be released or kept in a large pen here if he doesn't get well enough to be released.

Jasper has a concussion and you are doing everything you should! Soft feed very often, lots of clean water, if you aren't happy with his hydration levels I know you probably know how to inject fluid subq. I would give a bit of clavamox or amoxicillin to fight infection w/ some plain yogurt (he'll love that), also in time a distemper shot and a rabies also. Worming gently eventually will help just in case or have a fecal done. Many minks and weasels do not get worms, some do. I would love a pic to see him. They also love eggs, raw or soft cooked but cool, berries also. Karo syrup in some warm water may tempt more drinking, they're a sucker for sweets. When he is well, will you relocate him back to the wild? He is a youngster. I applaud you for helping him. :aktion033:

Had to add: "I am not a vet nor would I pretend to be", but I have helped and healed many wild and tame critters and this is my personal experience.

Well this morning Jasper is about the same. He was ravonous this morning and wolfed down his breakfast of blended chicken,raw egg,milk, and yougurt(thanks Dimimore). After that he had his warm bath and he's been sleeping since then except for two more feedings. My boyfriend said this moring that the little begger is faking it because he loves all the attention. Being spoon fed,wapped in warm blankies,given warm baths,Heck he knows better then to act better cause he'll be tossed back out in the cold to fend for himself. He's just enjoying all the perks of being here. Told Bryan he might be right. The little begger does have a mischivious look in his eyes.(When they're open that is). Here is a picture although not a good one. taken with a cheap camera. I left my cameras charger at my mom's and batteries are dead will get better pics soon. That is Biscuit my female boxer in the background. I think she wants him to be her baby even though she's never had puppies and HATES small dogs.

AGoodLife.jpg

glad to hear he is doing better... love the name Jasper!! :aktion033: :aktion033: (we named one of our favorite rescue donkeys Jasper)

It really sounds like you are doing everthing you can.

Have you gave him some antibiotics yet?

You can usually get "Penicillin" at the feed store.

(I personally would get the 48 hr stuff and give 1-2 cc)

I am going on personal experience...I have nursed many critters back to living over many years.

Just remember...sometimes you can give the best care in the world and they don't make it
default_sad.png

I am curious...why are you giving him baths? Does he have wounds that need to drain?

If that is the case...you really need to get him on antibiotics.

An infection can take over his little body very fast.

Good Luck & keep us posted.....if you need some antibiotics...let me know.... Teri

* the antibiotic you want to get is sometimes called "Pen B 48"

A good question, are you bathing him because he soils himself? give him a litter box and believe it or not he'll use it. His right shoulder is sore also thus his lack of moving about much.

I actually have him on cephalexin and prednisone sorry forgot to mention that. He is getting baths because he gets urine and feces on himself plus he somtimes dribbles his food. I am also using his baths as aqua therapy sessions so his muscles don't atrophy. I put his crate in the window for some sun and hoping the birds would perk him up a while ago and he's been up for about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get the birds in my window feeder. This is the longest he's been awake. At this point he wouldn't be able to get into a litter box but he will have one once he can use one. His stools are loose(probably from the antibiotic) he does go to the back of his cage but does get some gunk on him over night.

He needs to keep warm, a heating pad would be good.

Jasper is lucky to have you there. You are correct about vets putting him down.

I know of a vet that will take in a bird that has fallen from a tree and when the person has left but it out their back door. :new_shocked:

You are doing everything you can....I sure hope he pulls through
default_yes.gif
:

If he can't be rehabilitated back to the wild it sounds like you are going to have a pretty neat friend.

Keep up the "physical therapy" with the birds
default_wink.png
: Teri

He likes his therapy with the birds. He's still awake and scooting all over his crate. Watching him right now, I'd guess if he continues to improve at this rate he should be ok in a week or so. I feel so much better now that he's showing interest in something and staying awake. Still has a LONG ways to go and sure isn't out of the woods but seeing him show interest and the fact he's staying awake are good signs. Gotta love that preditory drive.........

Well it's 7pm and Critter(Bryan's nickname for him)just stuffed himself full of blended liver,tuna,raw egg,vitamins,and a small amount of milk mixed in a blender and is now napping again. I'm quite confident he'll regain enough function to live but I'm not sure he'll recover enough to be released although I really hope he does. As I don't like keeping wild animals caged but if he improves enough to have a good quality of life but not be released we'll care for him here until he passes. I'm guessing he is about a year old.

Ok, two things.

One, I applaud you for taking care of him :aktion033: . We had a baby porcupine for almost a year before she was able to go back to the wild. Sad to see them go, but so happy they got the chance to go back.

Two, I have a question. How do you know it does not have a comunicable disease?
default_unsure.png
: I see he is on your couch with your dog right there. That worries me......and if he bites you when he feels better, you could end up regretting handling him.

Other than that, I am not trying to be a party pooper and I wish you all the luck in the world. I bet he is a cute little thing
default_wub.png
: . And I am sure the fish hits the spot, as mink live near the water and eat fish and other little water creatures. We have a pair that live near us and when we go fishing they are always watching us from under this little waterfall. Sometimes they swim by in the water and we always think its a big bish. LOL. Until they keep going back and forth, the little devils. They sure are curious little beggers.

Alicia

Thanks for pointing that out. I forget sometimes to point out that this shouldn't be done by just anyone and that people could see the picture and think this is ok. Normally it's not and if he were more awake he'd be handled much differently. I have the knowledge to see that he is fit and healthy other then being hit by a car. I also watched him get hit. He has a shiny coat, excellent teeth, bright eyes, no nasal discharge and no signs of illness. Resperation and heart rate are normal and there are no signs of congestion. I certainly DO NOT recommend this for everyone but I have enough knowledge to tell that other then being hit by a car he's healthy. My animals are fully vaccinated and used to being around all sorts of critters. I was a licenced wildlife rehabilitaor in VT. This is the first live mink I've handled though. I know they can be mean as heck but I also believe most not all but most animals know when you are trying to help them. Except the muskrat I had that was attacked by a dog he was just plain UGLY and MEAN. I was very happy when we released him. He was worse then any feral cat I've delt with and they are MEAN. I also have my rabies vaccination, required where I work as we handle a lot of wildlife and strays as we are the only practice that will take the time to bother with them. I stress the point that not just anyone should take in wildlife without some knowledge but I also know that if I don't care for him until the vet I work for comes back Sunday he would without a doubt be euthinized and he doesn't deserve that. He deserves at least a chance of recovery. I am VERY careful about how I handle him and once he is more awake he won't be handled the same way. The picture was taken when he was in pretty much a comatose state. Again I don't recommend that just anyone takes in wild animals as they can be dangerous and can carry diseases but I do have the knowledge to tell that other then his run in with the car he's healthy. I did worm him and gave him a distemper vaccine today while he's still easily handled and I'll boost his distemper when the vet I work for gets back and he'll also get a rabies vaccine. Again thanks for voicing your concern and pointing out the things I forgot to.

Well and kindly spoken, I admire that. You're doing a bang up job, he feels much better. His vision is a bit off but otherwise just sore as heck. One thing...skip the milk...it'll cramp him if given enough...stick to the yogurt watered down if need be. I admire the care you and your boyfriend have. Crotter is one lucky fella. Please do keep the updates coming. Thanks.

Jess,

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like you are more than qualified
default_yes.gif
: I just would hate for anyone to get hurt trying to help a critter, thats all. I hope he continues to improve for you, he certainly has the best care he could ask for. Oh, and aren't those rabies shots fun? Big Sigh. I get them too......working in the animal world (vet tech, grooming and now my own farm/petsitting business) it really is a wise thing to do.

Best wishes for the little fella,

Alicia

Latest posts

Back