Is there a demand for 35"-36" loud appy stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manyspots

Reaction score
My husband and I don't always agree on things, one of them is our 35" or so loud chestnut appy stallion that is now 2 years old. Is there a market for that size appy stallions or do people mostly use the 34" and under getting the over 34" horse? I am ready to have the vet go snip, snip and husband thinks it would be a shame to with this fella? Since we have more than enough stallions, keeping him as a stallion here I can't see as an option, but he would make a nice driving horse. (gelding I could keep him! ha!) So do any of you use over 34" stallions?

Pictures now added down a few posts, thanks Laurie!

He is not for sale, just want opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know plenty of "over" stallions, most of the nice ones have great show records at the National level. I think a key would be to really promote him in the show ring, to create demand... as there IS demand for the B size horse but they DO need to be competitive. After all, look at all those ASPC/AMHR registered horses... most of them are B size and they are plenty popular, even the stallions!

I guess quality would really be a key point here.

And it's NEVER a bad idea to geld
default_smile.png

Andrea

I know plenty of "over" stallions, most of the nice ones have great show records at the National level. I think a key would be to really promote him in the show ring, to create demand... as there IS demand for the B size horse but they DO need to be competitive. After all, look at all those ASPC/AMHR registered horses... most of them are B size and they are plenty popular, even the stallions!

I guess quality would really be a key point here.

And it's NEVER a bad idea to geld
smile.gif

Adrea
I agree with you, and we also have a bit of a problem as he can't be ASPC registered since he is an appy. Wish I could post his pic on here, but not that talented! I can email but not great at posting pics here! rats! The ASPC horses are doing great right now so lots of competition with them. AMHR seems to be taking note though of the Appys more than previous years, whether the appys are getting better all the time or judges look past some of the loud patterns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course he cant be registered ASPC, but AMHR.... I agree with Andrea- what is his quality like? And yes, you can create your own demand by promotion and letting folks know what you have there. If not, and you are not using him to breed, then gelding is never a bad idea and everyone involved would probably much happier. I have seen a ton of nice B stallions of various colors.

B horses don't have to be ASPC also, to be quality. There are LOTS and LOTS of AMHR only registered B size stallions out there who are just breathtakingly gorgeous. It's just harder to market a stallion that is not double registered, whether it's ASPC/AMHR or AMHA/AMHR. But quality will always overtake things like that I think.

Andrea

Ok, with Lavonne's permission, I am posting photos of her spotted boy here, and he obviously has been shown.

nationals09Redmanhalter.jpg

NationalsRedManhalter.jpg

I just wanted to chime in briefly. Right now, I don't have a very big "wish" list when it comes to the horses. I feel very happy with what we have... however, one of the very few "things" on my wish list would be a loud, leopard appy gelding for driving
default_smile.png
Preferably B size
default_wub.png

Any more opinions greatly appreciated. I am leaning toward the snip, snip! Thanks for the posts so far and thank you Mary Lou for helping with this post. Lavonne

Lavonne- My vote would be to geld. You guys already have a few really nice stallions. I think you should geld him and join us in the gelding classes. Of course then I have to compete against you, but thats okay a little friendly competition never hurt anyone. It would be fun.

Latest posts

Back