Introduction & Tips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny

Reaction score
Hello there!

My name is Jenny and I live in British Columbia, Canada. I am really excited about joining this lovely community of fellow horse lovers! I've loved horses ever since I can remember, but have never had the privilege of owning my own. But that's about to change! I am planning on getting my first miniature horse this spring/summer. I decided that a miniature horse would be perfect because I don't quite have enough acreage for a full-sized, and I'm also not the most experienced rider. I haven't found one just yet, but I'm on the hunt! If anyone has any helpful tips for me about these adorable creatures, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jenny

Welcome Jenny! I'm new too. Just got my little man, Willow last sunday
default_smile.png

Welcome! I am not new to horses but new to minis, my biggest tip would be to just HAVE FUN and enjoy your horse.
default_smile.png

Hi Jenny and Welcome.

My first tip to you would be to provide ample room in the barn and for running. I always say that just because a miniature can fit in a closet, doesn't mean they belong in there LOL! Provide safe fencing and good shelter before you new baby arrives.

Look around for a mentor you can trust and have fun and enjoy!

Welcome from sunny Southern California! You've definitely come to the right place for lots of GREAT tips!

Liz N.

Welcome from another resident of beautiful British Columbia. My advice, know what you want to do with your mini (driving, showing, jumping, obstacle or pet) and be sure to select based on the physical and mental attributes that will allow you to enjoy that together. The other is, don't settle on the first mini you see just because he/she is sooo darn cute/tiny/colourful/etc. Step back and really examine what you want before you buy. Of course while I advise this what will probably happen is you will fall head over heals for a horse and common sense will fly out the window so if that happens, follow your heart, they are all fun so you may as well have fun with a horse you love.
default_smile.png

Welcome to the forum Jenny! You'll find lots of mini lovers here!
default_smile.png

Check out the info pages here. There should be a lot of info to help you on your way to learning. http://www.lilbeginnings.com/links/info/

Plus, there are many sub forums here to check out. AND there's always right here! Feel free to ask any questions!

default_yes.gif

Welcome Jenny! you'll find many experienced people here that will be happy to answer your questions.

Welcome, minis and ponies are the BEST!

I agree with everyone else, but have another thing to add. I find this more important than the housing situation - tho that is then right behind this.

Since you haven't owned a horse before - invest in horsemanship or safe horse handling lessons. They will be invaluable to you - with any horse or pony or equine you will ever own.

A mini horse may be small, but they are mighty and too many new owners think they are just cute. They forget that they are still horses and will react to "things" the same way that a full size horse will. I find that this is where the most injuries to peopel come from and where the neglect starts for the horse because that "cute, little" horse is no longer "cute, and little" when they "act like a horse" and "buffaloe" their owners...

HAVE FUN!!

Latest posts

Back