In the Event Membership Voting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tango

Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread to let everyone who wants to have a voting voice in their association know there is a way NOW that more people CAN have a voice at the Annual Meetings. It is going to take a while for voting change proposals to make it to the floor of an Annual Meeting. There is no guarantee that after all the work is done that a proposal won't be voted down. BUT, what can be done NOW is something that does not need a proposal:

We need to encourage ALL local clubs all across the country and overseas to have designated meetings to discuss any impending BYLAW or RULE proposals that have been submitted to the committees at the Annual Meeting. All clubs need to request from their respective regional directors a list of ALL upcoming BYLAW or RULE proposals. The proposals could be tracked through the June meeting and another status report given to the clubs in the directors' respective regions. (Whether or not the proposals are submitted properly or whether or not they are passed, failed or recommended to go to the Annual Meeting, makes no difference. All the members have the right to know what proposals are on the "list" and what people are thinking.)

If all the clubs were able to get the information on the proposals and discuss the pros and cons, then maybe each club could SPONSOR their own delegate/s to attend the Annual Meeting to vote on behalf of their own club. Now I know that is the purpose of a regional director, but there are more clubs than directors so more people would be represented and more could vote in person. Fund raisers could be done to raise the money to send club delegates. There are alot of miniature horse clubs across the country and overseas, that would mean alot of additional folks attending the Annual Meeting in person and being a voice and voting on behalf of the folks they would be representing. And, this could happen at the 2009 Annual Meeting.

Nikki

At least in AMHA's case, anyone (including clubs), already have access to all proposed bylaw and rule changes via their website and the Miniature Horse World.

I agree though there should be a rep. from each club there.

Heck in my other organization where I am a Board of Director and have attended the annual convention for several years now, over 1,000 individuals come to the annual convention (which is of course a very small percent of the membership but still thats alot of people!). During the General meeting we take individual votes as well as each state and special interest affiliate has so many votes per affiliate (determined before convention based on membership numbers) and gets a vote.

Point is, if someone wanted to propose it they could propose that each club gets a # of votes based on membership, etc.

There is some work being done to make the convention more interesting for folks as well. If you have ideas of things that might draw you to the meetings, let us know.

I know Sami S. is doing some of the work, looking into educational seminars. What else would you like to see? I know it was the seminars that drew me to my first convention, and I was sad to see them go. Now, we are trying to put some fun and education back into the mix.

default_aktion033.gif
That is a wonderful idea!! Lots of thought went into that, and I DO think that would certainly be very beneficial!
default_yes.gif

JMHO but to strengthen an organization you need to get more people involved in the process of "running" it. That takes communication. TWO way communication. Our club belongs to AMHA - we pay the dues but since there are no shows in this state we never see or hear from the organization. The communication is all a one way street and since they need people and clubs to belong it should be on their shoulders to try to involve those members; ie inform them, get opinions from them, etc.

JMHO but to strengthen an organization you need to get more people involved in the process of "running" it. That takes communication. TWO way communication. Our club belongs to AMHA - we pay the dues but since there are no shows in this state we never see or hear from the organization. The communication is all a one way street and since they need people and clubs to belong it should be on their shoulders to try to involve those members; ie inform them, get opinions from them, etc.
Have you contacted AMHA and asked them to get involved? I know my mom spent several years trying to get an AMHA show going in Des Moines. NO ONE CAME! AMHA came and set up a booth the first year and talked with the few people who showed up. People say they want AMHA involved in the midwest but no one wants to actually do the work. After losing thousands of dollars we gave up the AMHA show. If you want AMHA's involvement contact them!! Don't expect them to search you out and hold your hand.

I probably should have said by involvement I meant sending out info on AMHA (like the Horse For Everyone) or helping you contact local AMHA committee members and directors to talk to club members. As stated below they don't put on local shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a comment on shows, the AMHA only puts on 4 shows, the three Regional shows and Worlds. The remaining shows are put on by clubs and individuals.

Thanks, Jody. I think many people forget that point!

It's very difficult to get a show started in a new locale -- trust me, I know.

Just a thought:

About getting shows started in new areas - have you tried approaching an established show -- a hunter/jumper/ breed/4-H/anything -- about holding just a few classes to get the interest going? It doesn't take a whole lot to get approved for a hardship show. You'd be exposing an entirely new group of people minis -- people who might become mini owners. You'd not only get the ball rolling on a show in your area, but you jus tmight develop a larger client base for yourselves.

If you have a club, you could offer to help defray the cost of the mini classes. The hosting group could capitalize on the "uniqueness" of having the only show of its kind in the area. They may actually draw more spectators to their show. It could be a mutually beneficial arrangement.

There is some work being done to make the convention more interesting for folks as well. If you have ideas of things that might draw you to the meetings, let us know.

I know Sami S. is doing some of the work, looking into educational seminars. What else would you like to see? I know it was the seminars that drew me to my first convention, and I was sad to see them go. Now, we are trying to put some fun and education back into the mix.

Good question Jody! Personally I try to go to the convention, but in all honesty it depends on location and what else is going on in life if I'm able to go or not. Right now, I'm planning on going to San Diego, and hopefully the R one in Branson.

Ideas for improving attendence - again - make it more family friendly - not necessarily the meetings/seminars as the point of the convention is business, but side trips available for non-horsey family members, a vendor area with lots of related to owning horses vendors - cameras, security systems, trailers, real estate, farm equipment, transport companies, international shipping, vets, the usual tack/feed, fencing, barns, trainer seminar, judges one, etc.

Maybe organized ranch visit or progressive party type thing, an auction - the R trainers auction is hugely popular and fun. Maybe a youth committee meeting/training day or ?? Definitely more than the endless meetings and obligatory banquet would be an improvement. San Diego - has so many wonderful tourist places to go. Grey Line tours has an excellent one in LA and likely one in San Diego.

Sami's done wonders with the Western Championship so wish her lots of luck on this too!

Latest posts

Back