If you have a metal roof

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wood

Reaction score
Question for anyone that has a metal roof...

I have heard that it is a myth that it is loud when it rains.....what do you think. Do you like it? Is it loud? What would you say that you don't like about it.

Thanks
default_wink.png

In my cabin, on the loft roof of the dormer I have metal roofing....I love it when it rains, the sound is wonderful, not deafening at all. Remember in a home there is insulation between the ceiling and roof so it softens the sound to a wonderful patter be it slow or fast. When the shingle roof on the house needs redoing I will add metal, it is also wonderful in winter as it keeps the ice build up from forming. Nothing negative cept the price!

(now my metal roofed barn is deafeningly loud in a rainstorm.)

When we built 17 years ago we had metal roofs put on everything..l love them no upkeep at all since we had them put on and heavy hail didn't do any damage to them over the years and the color really hasn't even faded. We went with the heavy commercial stuff not the thin metal because we're in a windy area and you never want one of them sheets flying of and heading into the fields... Sound is no more or less then with shingles.
default_biggrin.png
You can see our roofs on our home page.

Metal roofs here too and our barn and pole barn. Love the sound of the rain on the roof in the house. Barns and outbuildings I guess because they are not insulated are extremely loud. Sometimes almost to the point that I think it makes for more nervous horses...which is not a good thing.

default_wub.png
We had 70 MPH downburst hit our home a year ago. Our new metal barn survived no problem...Our shingled house...well the back half of it was lifted up and tore off (massive damage due to interior rain damage) We put a metal roof on instead as a replacement and love it there is no loud noise and this year check with your tax people because you can get a tax credit for a metal roof on your home! I wish we could have got it last year.
default_saludando.gif
P.s. We have had 60mph straight line winds hit this year and ...NADA...no damage
default_biggrin.png

We have a metal roof on our home and also the barn. The barn has regular fiberglass insulation and it is kind of noisy, but the house has 4" thick styrofoam and you barely hear anything. Snow slides off easily, stays really toasty inside - I love my metal roof, when we rebuild we will definately have another.

Stac

Great thanks for all of your responses!! Sounds like it just might be worth the investment!
default_smile.png

With our construction business we install a fair number of metal roofs and still do some shingles. I always tell potential owners that some times the metal will be noisier than the shingles. Not deafening but a bit louder. The more insulation in the attic the better. Most owners afterwards never notice any difference at all. Many times if the existing asphalt shingles are in semi decent shape and are laying flat we will nail down strapping 24" oc. right over the shingles, and then screw the metal over that. The old shingle layer adds a bit of sound barrier as well as a moisture barrier for condensation.

Metal roofing with "Energy Star" rating does qualify for tax credits. You can search for "Energy Star" tax credit to get more info. Black and dark bronze colors do not qualify in most if not all brands.

Good Luck

Mark

Latest posts

Back