I really need some help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Okay, Since its almost time to start turning in college applications and taking a couple looks at colleges ..i need some help. Okay some of you might agree w/ me some not.

I really love showing. I have a shot Next Monday after school in Teledo. Its going to be my second show and im showing Halter and Driving w/ coco. But lately i've been thinking 'i really love showing, i love horses and i can not imagine waking up and not going out to the barn and not seeing my horses first thing'. Well im looking into doing Horse Showing as a career. **** Do you make Money Showing? Also are there any horse showing school you can attend? *** I am thinking maybe showing horses and doing something else w/ horses that involves money (NOT TRADING ...UGH). I just want to do what i love and get paid as i make a career out of it bc lets face it, you have to have a career in order to servive.

What kind of Jobs do you think i could look into. If i do something with horses (not a vet, or horse racing ...im not really into that) i wouldnt need college or i would need very little of it. So anyone that can help me please help!. I was thinking maybe a horse trainer/showing(my horses)/show other peoples horses for them/Barn aide so i can clean stalls at a stable. Any idea's ..what did you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
College, College, as a mother of two teenagers, I am constantly preaching this.

With a degree you will be far more trusted and respected, then if you want to go into showing as a career, fine. But if it doesn't work out, you have something to fall back on.

Life will go on and it will be much more difficult if you pass up the opportunity while you are young and have your parents help.

If you fall in love, get married, have kids, it will be even harder.

Maybe look into Agricultural Science or something related to animals, a nice business degree would also be helpful if you want to have your own.

Whatever you do, I'm sure everyone will support you. But please listen to those of us who took the long road, or didn't have the opportunity.

Just a few words of wisdom from someone whose older, but not too old to remember!
thumbup.gif

I agree go to school. I hated school and never wanted to go on to more school, however 3 years later I wish I would of. IM stuck in a job I hate because I have to be. At least have something to fall back on.

Lovescoco, Hocking College is right in Nelsonville and they have courses where you can get your associates degree in Technical Studies in Equine Science.

I got my nursing there and loved the school!

Fran

A gal that just bought our little palomino colt was going to college for equine management. Not sure what all that is about but something to look into.

Just a thought. Isn't there a local college for you to get all your basic studies. Like a community college. This would give you more time at home and would also be cheaper for your parents. Then in 2 years you can make a better choice as to were you life is leading you.

Good Luck

Traci

I also say go to school. I didn't and sometimes wish I had, but hey, I've got a good job that I like, it allows me freedom to rodeo and work my horses. However if I should want to change fields I'm very limited.

Now, on the other note. I'm not saying no, you can't make a living with horses, but coming from someone who has done it. It's really not worth it. There are so many people out there that would love to make a living with horses that it is flooded. There are big money people out there that are willing to lose money just to work horses. Now some little person who wants to make a living just can't compete with that. There are soooooo many trainers that you have to be just out of this world good to make money there. You can't really even make money raising nice horses, training and selling them because once again there are so many good horses that the money just isn't isn't there. I trained for several years and trust me it is a hard hard way to make an easy living
wink.gif
. I had twelve horses in that I was riding, figuring short workout sessions that's a twelve hour day. Plus time to feed, clean pens, work the arena, etc..... I was making $6,000 per month and it wasn't worth it. I was so fed up with horses after continual 15-16 hour days that I didn't feel like competing any more, I didn't love working with the horses anymore. It was sad because I love horses more than anything and think of myself as a good trainer, but I was teaching myself to hate what I love because of the long hours. So I changed jobs, I own four big horses and one mini, I have time to work them and enjoy them after my job. I so look forward to working them, competing, etc again. It is like a completely different thing when it is your job, rain or shine, hot or cold, windy or so still you're melting, you have to be there every day. If you still want to make your living with horses make a go of it, but I just wanted to let you know that it isn't all roses. When you show your horses you are seeing the good side, but there's a hard side to it as well. Like I said it's a hard hard way to make an easy living. But after everything I have said, go make your own choices because I'm only telling it from my point of view.

I agree with the above posts..... Go on to school and start getting some basic higher education under your belt. Community College in your area can help cover a lot of that. You may also find some courses in basic horse care and health that would be helpful to you if you choose to go into horse training.

I am very PRO continuing education beyond high school -- college, trade school, whatever! It helps people discover who they are and what they want to do in the future.

For learning about horse training, most folks I've known find jobs working under a known trainer and doing all the "dirty work" at first -- then working their way up to handling the horses. Expect to get lots of humbling work initially. But eventually, those who stick it out will climb the ladder and be given more responsibilities. (It's basically the same thing in any business one wants to start out with.)

Just my 2 cents,

MA

Miniv:

I never thought about that ..i know a couple horse riding facilities around here (one about 10 miles from here and one about 15 minutes from here) where they do horse training and boarding ext. I might check that out tommarow sometime. See if i can maybe do some stall mucking and horse brushing ext and watch them a bit. All summer while i was out of school i spent all day w/ my horses ..and i loved it. Horses to me are something more then 'a wonderful way to get around and ride'. To me there friends and i never call myself there master. I dont think that 'master' is the right term. When i work w/ my horses were one living thing, not a leader and a follower. So when i spend all day long w/ them i think of it not as a chore but more as an opportunity to have some fun.

I am also going to do some research on Hocking College.

College freshman here - I want to be a vet, so school was a must for me. I want to be a vet because I want a job with horses that I can make some money from. It's very hard to make money with horses, and it's a LOT of time. Trainers spend full days at the barn, and then weekends at shows, or horse shopping, etc. You'll have your work cut out for you whatever you decide. But if it's without college, you need to start now! I have a friend who wants to do the same as you, but she's focusing on Arabs and breaking youngsters. But she's already really involved in her circuit and the 4H circuit. Lots and lots of the horse world is NETWORKING. Get involved and get to know people who can help you!

I really, really, really wanted to go to the Univerity of Findley, it has equine management and riding programs. They always win the IHSA shows because their team is varsity and people ride everyday. It's fantastic. However, it's at least $30K a year with limited scholarships, at least for me. The biggest academic scholarship available was only $10K. Other 'horsey' colleges include Lake Erie college, Sweet Briar... there are a lot, but most of them are private and thus, expensive. I ended up at GVSU, which was a really good deal for me scholarship-wise, and they have an equestrian team. Horse Illustrated usually has a good equine school section, or check out the IHSA website to see if any schools with teams are near you. Good luck!

Findlay is good, so is ATI which is a branch of Ohio State University and located in Wooster. GET A DEGREE! You can get an associates in Equine Science then go to main campus for your bachelors.

I have been there, done that, got the shirt. Went to Meredith Manor in West Virginia, taught there, moved around, found that the trainer is the most expendable expense in a business a few times. Came back home and got my BS in Computer Science. I work 40 hours a week, have awsome benefits, a 70 acre farm and 30 horses.......

Just my opinion here, but I strongly suggest you go to college. I am also going to suggest that in addition to whatever "horsey" classes you take that you also take a minor in some type of business or economics. Or if you have another area that you seem to be good at or enjoy (social work etc, physical ed etc.) you might also consider some classes in those areas. That way, if your body gives out, you will always have something to fall back on. I speak from experience. I would love to go to college. I always wanted to go, but money was short when I was younger and then life happened so I didn't get there. My first jobs involved a lot of physical labor and now I have health issues which won't allow me to work a physically demanding job and I have no degree so I can't get a job that requires "smarts". I am considering going to school now, but it would have been so much easier to go when I was younger as I could have put all my energy into then. Now I have family, horses, health issues- all of which leave me drained. When you are young, it is easy to feel invincible. I know I did. No one can ever fully understand the wisdom offered by others until they've been there themselves, but please try to see that most of us will be giving advice based on experience and how important school is. Good luck in whatever you decide
saludando.gif

Been there! And I have the answer!

COLLEGE.

And make it a non horse related degree..... you can always go be a groom with a BA in Business later in life.

I was offered a position at a top farm as an assistant to a top trainer when I was 18. Stamp the gold star on my forehead, it was *the* oppurtunity. My parents, who had not been supportive until then, gave me their blessing to delay college 2 years to pursue was had been a dream of mine.

Basically, I sat down and decided what I ultimatly wanted in my life. Very specifically, what did I want more then anything. And the answer to that was "a beautiful herd of about a dozen minis THAT I OWN"

The "THAT I OWN" was the clincher that sent me to college. I decided I ultimatly wanted to be an owner, and the best and surest was to do that was to go college and hope on the corporate hamster wheel. Round and round I go!

The answer to your "what do I want from life" question may be quite different, and indicate a different life path. Being a pro is hard- very hard. If you *really* want to go pro, get a job as a working student or groom to the best trainer (mini or not) that will take you.

Oh yes......I wanted to add that part of me still wants to run off and groom horses for the rest of my life. Nothing is more fufilling for me then taking a scruffball from the pasture and cultivating hidden talents and beauty.

If I could figure out how, I'd jump off my hamster wheel and go be a working student for a year or two in a heartbeat. Not so I could go pro, but just so I could continue to learn.

LoveCoco said:
Miniv:
  I never thought about that ..i know a couple horse riding facilities around here (one about 10 miles from here and one about 15 minutes from here) where they do horse training and boarding ext.  I might check that out tommarow sometime.  See if i can maybe do some stall mucking and horse brushing ext and watch them a bit.  All summer while i was out of school i spent all day w/ my horses ..and i loved it.  Horses to me are something more then 'a wonderful way to get around and ride'.  To me there friends and i never call myself there master.  I dont think that 'master' is the right term.  When i work w/ my horses were one living thing, not a leader and a follower.  So when i spend all day long w/ them i think of it not as a chore but more as an opportunity to have some fun.

I am also going to do some research on Hocking College.

470471[/snapback]

Sounds like a dream come true for you! You could do BOTH!

MA

LoveCoco --

I am also a teenage who loves horses and wants to do something with them as a career. I am slowly gaining experience by helping out my friends, both young and older. I have racked up enough hours that I could probably get a degree in Stall Cleaning. I am learning how to feed horses right and coming up with diets that "fit" each horse. I am become a pro with handling horses on the ground and on a lunge line. I am even getting back into riding.

I have a teenage friend how "finishes" horses. She gets paid to ride them a few times a week and freshens them up on their manners. I was telling her mom last night how, even though I admire what this girl does, I personally wouldn't want to climb on a horse that I've never met and "go". I'm more cautious in that respect. I would rather work foals of "Rescue" horses on that ground, teaching them their ground manners and halter breaking them. I am earning a reputation among my friends, and hopefully they will pass it on, for being a GREAT person to horse-sit while their away. Another friend asked me last night if I would be around next year to horse sit for her. I was flattered that she wanted ME!

Anyways, this was kinda "off topic", but I wanted to let you know, your not the only one. Keep in touch and we can share our horsie adventures and career searches with eachother.

Erin
saludando.gif

Take it from a mother and grandmother ...

Go to school! There are a ZILLION things out there you can do for a living...all of which will allow you at least some time to work in your spare time with your passion...your horses. Having a career does not mean you cannot work with horses!! What a career does is allow you the opportunity (i.e., funds) to pursue your passion and the ability to finance it correctly because to do it right, you need to have access to money. Working with horses for the most part isn't going to give you much to work with.

Believe me...if you don't have that education, there will come a time when you will wish you did. Like later on when your knees are shot or your back goes out...and there you are. No money, no education, limited skills, and very little in the way of job opportunities.

College is a bit away from me, but still I have to say GO TO COLLEGE! I have been focused on being a vet forever, and want to go to A and M (die-hard aggie since forever here
biggrin.gif
)

Yeah, so go to college, get an education, then start whatever you want to do. BUt, I must say, working as a trainer won't be easy!

You're probably tired of hearing this already...but yes, go to college!

efinitely look at equine opportunities around you while you're in school, too! I went to college in San Francisco, and not far from me was an equine therapy horse facility. I worked there 3x/week helping handicapped children learn to horseback ride. It was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.
yes.gif

Best wishes with your decision!

Liz R.

I've been thinking about this all day pretty much. I read some of this stuff a while ago when i got home. I basically tried to figure out what i wanted to do with horses which would allow me to be with them, and have a job on the other side AND also if there is a realistic job i could have that involved horses. Here is what i came up with.

This is some brainstorming ..verry random

1) Get a regular degree from a local college in business or something like that, allowing me to have a job and spend spare time with the mini's and showing.

2) Be a personal groomer at a huge stable. Bathe horses, walk them, brush them, feed them, water them. (anyone know how much people make who take care of stables for peole *race horse stables ext*). I dont know what we pay ..my father keeps track of that. I think it varies, but we are not a huge stable though.

3) I dont want to do anything that involves riding horses or breaking them to ride. I dont like the idea of riding a horse i dont know. I was thinking maybe breaking behavior breaking pony's and horses. A business where i could have a stable and work with people's horses on behavior issues (biting, kicking, farrier working, walking, leadership, basic cue's and also work w/ the people to teach them). (*this is where that business degree comes into plan*).

4) Work at a race track where im around horses allot

5) Raise Race horses and Buy them ...Get a trainer/Jockey and Race

6) (this one goes agianst what i reallygo for *buying a horse to sell* but when i think about it, this one i can kind of see). Rescue horses from horse auctions and train them to be good horses and clean them up and get them 'safer' and sell them (not at a auction). Make a website, newpaper ad's ext. allot of advertising.

7) My dream has always been to do Interior Decorating, which would allow me to show horses. But my dream is to do Celeberty interior decorating in California where you decorate celeb's houses for them and keep it private so they dont have to worry ..which would make good money and allow for time w/ my horses and showing. Get my degree in Interior Decorating! I like this one, but the celeborty part seems a bit 'out there' ..plus a move from Ohio to Cali is a long stretch!

So thats my brainstorming.

Sounds like your doing some good thinking. The next step would be figuring up all the costs of horse ownership and then figure out which of the ideas you have will pay for that. If you choose a job working with horses so that you don't have to necessarliy own them, then try checking around to see what the pay is. Have your parents help you figure out about how much it costs a month to keep a household going (food, lights, gas, insurance etc.) to see if the horse related job can support you. Then you can start making some short term as well as long term goals to achieve. Good luck

Latest posts

Back