How to start a mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I am new to owning a mini and also fairly new to this forum. My little guy is 2-3 yrs old (the previous owner wasn't sure). I would like to start doing a bit of ground work with him this fall and then try to train him to drive in the spring. I haven't got a harness yet for him but I do have a surcingle and was looking at buying a bridle. Here is my question what kind of bridle should I buy? Sould I just buy and start him in a driving bridle with blinders right from the beginning ? Or would just a normal western or english style bridle with a snaffle bit and long reins be best? I have also heard that lungeing isnt good for mini's so should i just start out with ground driving?

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of minis! If your boy is that young, your vet or farrier (or you, using books or internet) should be able to tell from his teeth if he is 2 or 3. If you are new to minis and new to driving, I would suggest that you just work on basic ground training for now: lead him everywhere, walk, trot, whoa and stand on command, work on halter obstacle (trail), getting him used to trusting you and to all kinds of obstacles. Work on yielding to pressure, backing, turns on the forehand and pivots, and sidepassing. Work on showmanship, even if you never intend to show in that - it is excellent "basic training". Depending on how old he is and what size area you have, I would think that free longing would not hurt him (if the area is not too small). That way he can get the idea of "work" and you can work more on voice commands. Then next spring, I would urge you to find an experienced driver/trainer (not necessarily a mini trainer) to help with his actual driving training.

Good luck with him. Picture???

Then next spring, I would urge you to find an experienced driver/trainer (not necessarily a mini trainer) to help with his actual driving training.
Can't agree with this enough.
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif
We can help you find a driving trainer (or coach/mentor/club) in your area.

I would also add desensitization to the list. Search this forum for "desensitization" or "desensitize". I know we have wrote on the subject before.
default_biggrin.png

To actually answer your question, I start all mine in an "open" bridle, actually an English bridle with a caveson, and a mullen (not jointed) snaffle in the appropriate width of the horse's mouth. Minis' mouths vary greatly. You need to actually measure it. I may move to a different bit from there depending on the conformation of the horse's mouth and his preferences. Again, your "mentor" can help you with that.

But you will "fight" with the horse if you try to bit and ground drive without doing the groundwork first. Driving training goes MUCH faster and easier with a horse that is wonderful to work in hand.

Myrna

I will second and third the advice you got above!!!!

Andrea

The short reply is: "The same way you start a full size horse"
default_yes.gif
and if you don't know how to start a full size horse then I really hope you take the advice you have already gotten above. Minis may be small but they are very strong and if you don't have a good understanding of how to train a horse to drive it is a disaster in the making. You may get lucky and your Mini but be quiet enough that it doesn't give you too much trouble but more often than not you will run into problems that only experience can help. If this is your first horse that you would like to train to drive a good trainer or mentor can really help you out and then down the road once you have some experience under your belt you could look at training another horse.

thank you for all your advice. I will work on the ground training this fall and will see if I can find someone with experience in teaching a horse to drive in the spring to help me.

It's true - you can get lots of information from reading and other people's advice, and it's great to have so much knowledge here. However, I didn't really "get it" until Lori Rafter who trained my mini to drive showed me the details of harnessing. Best to find a great person with experience to help you.

Latest posts

Back