how to get foal used to his headcollar

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teng

Reaction score
Hi everyone - i'm a newbie - go gentle with me !!

I have a mare with a 12wk old colt foal, only had them 2wks, he'd not been handled at all, but he is coming round now, scratches on his neck, bum etc, been rubbing headcollar over him but he really shies away when it's near his head, anything i can do to help him accept it.

I've only ever bred one foal before and never had a problem with her - am i doing something wrong ????????

Can you get some help? If you can, go into the stall, hold the foal very gently, one arm under the neck, the other one around the girth under, have the assistant gently place the halter on, clip it, not too loose, not too tight, leave it on for 15 to 30 minutes a couple of times a day, don't leave him while the halter is on, then hold him and remove all done very slowly and with patience, make a big fuss over him, lots of scratches and good boys. Do this every day until you can do it just one person.

Hi and welcome to LB, hope you will both enjoy your time here and also gain lots of info and help if you require it.

I have some very unusual ideas about foals and headcollars, so I'm sure you will get other suggestions as well! Is there a reason why you actually need to headcollar this little chap? We never headcollar our foals until they are weaned (told you I was strange. LOL!!)

We do exactly what you have been doing (except we can start a bit earlier as our foals are born here), lots of taking the time for the foal to relax and approach, then come the stratches, (we are still crouched down at this stage). Later we do scratches when the foals approach while we are standing upright. Foals have little or no fear if you dont frighten them in the first place, so very soon we are walking the fields/paddocks with a long line of foals following us, all wanting us to stop and play or give more scratches. We often sit in the field and let them come sit on us, roll on our laps and generally get to know us. We worm and quietly trim all feet during field playtime, and still dont headcollar.

Once weaned, they still look to us for food, games and scratches etc., so once they have settled down without their Mommas, we just pop headcollars on and off as part of the usual game time. Headcollars on and we walk round the field followed by the foals or one foal if that is what we want. Rope on, more walkies, foal following along, no hastle. Next in a stable or smallish enclosed space we show the foal the 'feeling' of a rope stopping and starting them - even this never seems to bother them, all part of human games!

Last April we still hadn't headcollared our last year's fillies. Within 4 days all 5 of them were leading individually all round our farmyard, past tractors and machinery and quietly moving vehicles, loading up and down the steep ramp of our lorry and being introduced to walking in the stream. No problem!! I did warn you I had 'funny' methods! LOL!!

I'm sure other folk will give you good advice on more convential methods, but always remember there is no rush, and the more time you can spend gaining your little fella's confidence and trust (with play and games) then the easier it will be to headcollar him without any stress.

Good luck!

thankyou both for your replies, i'll be putting both into practise !!!

Latest posts

Back