How to get a palomino breeding with a palomino

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniluver

Reaction score
[SIZE=18pt]
default_yes.gif
[/b]Ok you color experts out there. If the stallion is palomino what color of mares gives me the highest chance of getting a palomino foal???[/SIZE]

A chestnut bred to a palomino gives you a 50 50 chance of having a palomino or a chestnut. A palomino bred to a palomino gives you a 50% chance of having a palomino, or a 25% chance of a chestnut and a 25% chance of having a cremello.

Ha ha!
default_biggrin.png
Good luck. We bred same mare to palomino. She is a very dark bay pinto, first time we did get a palomino. Second time a bay. Third time a palomino. Bred a chestnut appy mare and we did get a palomino appy.

Either a cremello or a chestnut or another palomino. Either one probably gives you a 50% chance. Probably cheaper to buy chestnut mares, although investing in cremello mares will give you 50% cremello babies which are more valuable than those 50% chestnut babies...
default_rolleyes.gif

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
We bred all our mares to our golden palomino stallion for 2008 babies in hopes of having at least 50% palomino. All the mares are either palomino, chestnut or red/white pinto. We can't wait to see what we get this year. Next year we will be crossing them with a cremello stallion.
default_biggrin.png

Gotta love those double dilutes
default_yes.gif
I have a few and wouldn't mind some more "pinkies" as time goes by. My favorite colors are cream and/or silver dilutes
default_yes.gif

Another palomino or a chestnut.
Ok, so what is the differenc in sorrel and chestnut???

In the Morgan horse world any red horse is a Chestnut. It could be liver chestnut, black chestnut, flaxen chestnut, light colored chestnut or dark colored chestnut, they are all chestnuts. In the Quarter horse World the deep dark reds are called one color (I think Sorrel) and the others are called chestnuts. They are all still red horses.

Before we sold our palomino stallion we got several palomino's from him & our red dun mare & some from our bay pinto mares

Before we sold our palomino stallion we got several palomino's from him & our red dun mare & some from our bay pinto mares
And I wouldn't mind one bit getting a palomino from him this year!!!
default_saludando.gif

Hope all is going well for you. We'll give him a hug for you.

Carolyn

we have a miminal palomino mare bred to a sorrel pinto for this summer.Last year they had sorrel pinto filly by the same stud.. This palomino mare has mostly palomino.She has had all fillies to date.We are hoping she has a palomino or palomino pinto filly for us. We are planning on breeding her this year to our silver perlino pinto stud for 2009.We were told palomino to sorrel is a good chance of palomino. We were also told a true cremello to a sorrel is 100% palomino.I love palomino. We have a sorrel pinto bred to a buckskin can't wait to see what she has as well.
default_laugh.png
We were also told if we bred our silver perlino pinto to our sorrel pinto 50% chance of palomino.good luck.

We have one of those palomino (pinto) mares from him and we just adore her. Good luck with him Carolyn. We plan to breed our mare to our chestnut pinto stallion for 2009 and would love to get a palomino pinto foal.

The deep dark reds are chestnuts, the 'regular' red horses are sorrels. In ranch country here, if you were told to go saddle the sorrel for work today, and came back on the chestnut, you would be fired. They would figure if you didnt know one horse from another, you wouldnt know anything about cattle either.

Cremello and red will get a palomino EVERY time??

My neighbors have big horses, and they always wanted a palomino- so they bought a palomino stud to breed their sorrel mares. Every foal so far has been sorrel.

I am not an expert but I bred my palomino pinto stud to a sorrel pinto mare and got a palomino pinto colt.

So I guess it all depends!
default_smile.png

Joyce

I'd test your stallion for the silver gene just to be 100% certain he's a palomino. Some silvers look like palominos.

Latest posts

Back