How old to drive?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domino0-

Reaction score
I have a fantastic 2 1/2 year old stallion. He is extremely bombproof(with no training). He has just a great personality. I am going to teach him to drive, just wondering how old is old enough to start pulling. I'm going to start working with him in the next month or so, and it would probably be six months until he actually pulled me so he would have time to be physically able to pull me, and would have time to mentally settle into his job. He is 31 inches, and 250 pounds. I weigh 175 pounds, and would be using a metal jog cart, so it's not too heavy. What age do you reccomend he start pulling?

He's the age I would start him at grounding driving now, and pulling at 3.

I start ground driving at 2 1/2 years and start driving at 3 years old.

Another driving question here.... how much pull weight is TOO much? Can a mini pull two average sized adults? Can they pull a mini sized sleigh in the snow with one or two adults? My mini is 35", and vet guestimated him around 300 lbs.

Thanks!

Domino0- said:
II am going to teach him to drive,
527454[/snapback]

Welcome to the wonderful world of driving! But might I first sugguest sending him to a trainer so both your stud and you can learn how to drive safely. (by your post I'm assuming you don't drive?) This way your horse will get started properly, even the most well behaved horse when hooked to a cart can be transformed, espically a stallion. Good Luck!

I'd say ground drive now and have him start pulling at three. Driving is so much fun I'm sure you and him will both have a blast.

VerticallyChallenged I'd say your mini could pull two adults as long as the cart was properly balaced (so you don't put too much weight on his back) and the ground was firm enough that the cart didn't sink in too much. Plus the flatter the better for him. I have never driven a sleigh so I really can't help you there sorry.

Agree with the 2.5 years.....It's a good time to start him. By age 3 he'll be ready for serious driving....at least physically....and HOPEFULLY mentally!
laugh.gif

A 35" horse should easily be able to pull two "average" weight adults in sleigh. He should be easily pulling 4 times his weight, as long as he is age 3 or over....and don't forget to include the weight of the sleigh.

MA

Ground driving them at this age is a great way to start...because, ground driving is so important for the big foundation that a great driving horse needs.

But... Also, it does depend on the actual horse himself...some just aren't ready mentally or physically...and, you just need them to grow up more.

I think its a good idea as well to have the Vet check them to see if there knees are closed and, ready to take the stress of a working horse. They are no different then the big boys...knees are knees. I would rather wait a bit for them to mature than have problems down the road.

I don't want to upset anyone...but, I see alot of people just start these 3 year olds- just because they are three...IMO...alot of things factor into.. is my young horse ready.

I guess the moral of this story would be just take your time...and, learn to read your horse...he will tell you very quickly if he is ready or not. If he is...by all means start...if he is not...give him the time he needs to grow into a ready to learn successful adult.

You may also, get into the process after sailing along in his training and, then come to a stand still...thats his way of saying...give me some time to absorb all the information...he may just need a litte break...before you continue on.

Make it fun and interesting for him...and, you will be a successful team!!

It sounds though your youngster is saying...lets get started. Just take your time... Good Luck...and, have lots of fun...driving is just the best!! I am happy for you
yes.gif

I am going to tell you my theory and risk getting flamed here!
biggrin.gif

I start minis grounddriving in halter at 1 year old as long as they are mentally mature enough to deal with it. I train them in the round pen to trot, extend and whoa then I start ground driving them with just a halter on. There is no physical stress in grounddriving as compared to lunging them which tons of people do and I disagree with entirely. I lay them off over part of the winter and in the spring of their second year introduce the bit and harness and do some more grounddriving with them over the summer. If they are physically and mentally able to deal with it I hitch them to the cart in the fall of their second year. As with all things it takes time and physical conditioning to get your horse in shape to pull. I would not start a green youngster in a sleigh as it is too tough to pull and is a constant pull but a 2 wheeled cart with one adult in it is light enough for them to start. There is not much strain on them once the cart is rolling and so you don't have to worry about their knees as much as you would with a riding horse who is carrying unbalanced weight on his back. I wouldn't have more than one person in the cart until your horse has developed the muscles necessary for pulling a cart by consistant work. Just because you have trained your horse to drive and he has been driving for years doesn't necessarily mean he is in condition to drive - that takes consistant work and I mean getting him out a minimum of 3 days a week on a regular basis.

Oh and one more thing - get his teeth checked by a good vet or dental practitioner BEFORE you even think about putting a bit in his mouth
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The last show we were at, the nicest people took home quite a few blue ribbons. When I asked about driving, she told me, that pulling weight before three years old was a bad idea because if the knees are not closed it could cause damage. They said they even x-ray to make sure the knees are closed before they start training them to be driven.

The woman we purchased one horse from that has been in minis like forever, told me, rule of thumb is three times their body weight is max weight they can pull at their very best, and twice their weight is ideal. She also said that making sure the tack and cart and all are fitted correctly is what's most important. She said, you can balance a cart on your fingers and moving it shouldn't be that difficult. If it is... she said there's a problem.

That's what I was told... but I could be wrong... Ask Robin C! She knows her stuff!

Three sound like a good age. I think that is about the age my girl was when she started. As to how much they can pull, well you would be amazed! My parents have a friend who is very large(I won't say how much he weighed, you don't want to know). My little mare was able to pull him, although all we did was walk up and down the driveway once, which is flat, solid ground. We have a picture of it and I'm afraid if I showed anyone they might turn us in to the humane society!(jk) She has also pulled me and two of my friends and had absolutly no problem. We're not real big, but still.

Good luck with him. Have fun! I'd love to see some pics when you get him going.
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

I start my horses when they are mentally able to handle driving. We start in the

fall of their two year old season, if they are ready. I have one horse we did not

start until five because he just wasn't ready. The other thing we do is we do not

go in every driving class they can. A three year old is not mature enough to go

in umpteen classes like I have seen. Linda B
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back